Provadiya Street Dogs

Discuss here anything that does not already have its own Forum.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Slaphead
Pig Headed

Provadiya Street Dogs

Postby Slaphead » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:57 pm

I guess this could apply to any street dogs anywhere but as I live in the Provadiya region.......

We had to go into town today, Provadiya. Once we'd finished our business there, Sue and I decided we'd have a beer outside one of the pavement bars before coming back home. sue had bought us a few potato cakes from the shop, which we were going to snack on, outside the bar. Not an uncommon experience for us.
There are numerous street dogs in Provadiya, 2 of which have been neutered and both have a lovely nature. They seem to exist quite happily in the town centre and previously, haven't really been a bother, other than entusiastically welcoming you when they see you and occaisionally trying to investigate your shopping bags. Recently, over the past few months, the dogs have grown in confidence with Brits and have tended to pester for longer and more insistently.
Today, both dogs were a pain in the butt and a complete nuisance.
Why?
Because we had food!
It's become common practice for some of the Provadiya Brit community to feed these dogs on a frequent and regular basis. They've become conditioned to Brits having food and that food being for them.
Bulgarians are generally nervous of dogs, especially street dogs. I have seen both of these dogs being harrassed by locals more than once and that's putting it mildly.
All the bars in Provadiya are for the use of all the community, indigenous and foreign.
I've heard it said by bar owners/managers that these dogs affect custom by deterring Bulgarians from using the bar when these dogs are present.
My dogs, 4 of them, 2 from UK and 2 from here, never harass us or our guests for food and indeed, should one of them pester when food's around, they get what for. I don't tolerate it.
Why should I turn a blind to these 2 dogs?
Why do Brits find it necessary to make a point of buying food for street dogs which were previously happy and healthy?
Obviously, we're now well into the tourist season so even more food is made available, by Brits, for these dogs but, it's not only tourists feeding them. It would probably be understandable if it were so.
I personally feel that by conditioning these dogs to welcome Brits and act aggressively to locals increases the danger of someone taking action against them.
Plus, I like potato cakes and I don't want a scavenger giving me grief when I'm eating one!!!

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
SimonTrace
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby SimonTrace » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:37 pm

It would appear that you are suggesting that the dogs can differentiate between BG nationals and British nationals. I think you need to re-think this.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
dvdtv
Super User!
Super User!

Postby dvdtv » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:54 pm

I think it`s just in our nature to feed poor starving unloved animals

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Seedy
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Seedy » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:00 pm

SimonTrace wrote:It would appear that you are suggesting that the dogs can differentiate between BG nationals and British nationals. I think you need to re-think this.

Maybe it was something to do with "the mid-day sun"? :wink:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
7RED
Super User!
Super User!

Postby 7RED » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:04 pm

Hi,

Actually, dogs can differentiate between nationalities and not only that they are also multi lingual, now then let me explain....

I live in a mountainous area with a lot of hill walkers, ramblers, mountain bikers, goat herders and a few log hunting Roma, frequently trekking up the hill and at various speeds off they go back down the hill.

Now our mutt barely lifts an ear to the hill walkers, ramblers, mountain bikers, she does get a tad excited when the herders go pass clanking there bells, I think that 2 of the herding dogs are her mates,(or at least one of them was a serious mate).......However

When the log hunters pass on bye she goes ballistic.

The multi lingual bit, well my missus talks to her in Bg and I shout and beat her in English, she learns quick 8)

7red

Ah! potatoe cakes, (back on thread) :lol:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
B52
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby B52 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:09 pm

Isn’t life great here, Slaphead!

We could have all our worldly possessions strewn over the road in Slovenia, be scraping together our last 50 euros to rent an apartment in Ireland, be medicating ourselves to reduce the after effects of the H1N1 virus, be unable to watch TV because our dish isn’t tuned in... but no, it’s that tap on the back of the leg by that dog in Provadiya, wanting food.

I’ve never seen anyone feed dogs roaming the streets. In fact, we often grab something from the hole-in-the-wall (two can dine for 70p, beats McD/KFC hands down, and not just on price. Pity they don’t serve 3v1 with it though) and sit on the bench next to the fountain (not to minimise your problem with the dogs but the fountain, or lack of it, is something to complain about) and they never bother us. Nor do the cats, come to that.

There is only one that acknowledges us when we leave ЦБА. How does it know that we are foreigners? Perhaps it’s the No! instead of He!

It did sit down with us at the T shop the other day (which is quite a surprise, considering the noise it made when I accidentally squashed it’s head between my leg and the table leg) but just lay there and didn't bother us.

Life is great here, isn’t it. :)

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Slaphead
Pig Headed

Postby Slaphead » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:21 pm

SimonTrace wrote:It would appear that you are suggesting that the dogs can differentiate between BG nationals and British nationals. I think you need to re-think this.

Thank you Simon, but I don't think I need to rethink.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Slaphead
Pig Headed

Postby Slaphead » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:02 pm

B52 wrote:Isn’t life great here, Slaphead!

We could have all our worldly possessions strewn over the road in Slovenia, be scraping together our last 50 euros to rent an apartment in Ireland, be medicating ourselves to reduce the after effects of the H1N1 virus, be unable to watch TV because our dish isn’t tuned in... but no, it’s that tap on the back of the leg by that dog in Provadiya, wanting food.

Life is great here, isn’t it. :)

If it were only a tap on the back of the leg, as it used to be, then it wouldn't be a problem Jer, (or is it Bil?). :lol: But a full on legs on the table, nose on/in the bag assault is just a little annoying. And the dogs don't like it either! 8O
There will come a point when someone, Brit or otherwise, reacts badly to the antics of these friendly dogs. At the end of the day, they aren't aggressive TO BRITS in any way and it would be dreadful should they come to any harm because their natural caution has been overcome.
We did witness an incident last year where what we assume to be the mother of the grey male in question, was launched by the boot of a BG resident for no other reason than because it was there. Luckilly she no longer resides on the streets having been adopted, we believe. Anecdotal evidence says she was subject to quite a number of physical abuses.
I just think that if left to fend for themselves, these dogs would continue to thrive. They always did before the regular feeding sessions.

And yes, life is great. 8) :lol:

Return to “General Discussion”