Little Biting Fish in the sea, what are they??

Discuss here anything that does not already have its own Forum.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
bphirst50
Super User!
Super User!

Postby bphirst50 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:47 pm

could they be mini sharks more commonly known as estate agents? :lol:
sorry couldnt resist

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Trudyw
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Trudyw » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:33 pm

stevek wrote:I was also a little perturbed by Black Aquas assertion that they can sometimes be found up towards Albena,,as you may all know there is a popular Naturist beach there and I cannot imagine the havoc that could be caused "in that region" by those little varmints!
Steve. :roll:

Will not tell my mother in law , although some might enjoy a thrill with a quick nibble.

Did wonder where all the estate agents went !!!!

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
emcee
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

definitely not fish

Postby emcee » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:52 pm

I think they're sea lice, too
We've encountered these in Sozopol at various times, they look like little specks of seaweed moving around in the water. Their appearance seems to depend on the weather, currents, etc, as you see them one day and not the next. I think they tend to lurk in the seaweed, but when they get displaced (through storms, or whatever) they swim around looking for something reassuring (i.e. my leg) to cling on to. Their bite is less painful than a mosquito bite (and stops as soon as you've brushed it off), and they only seem to get you when you're standing still.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
blackaqua
Super User!
Super User!

Postby blackaqua » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:54 pm

bphirst50 wrote:could they be mini sharks more commonly known as estate agents? :lol:
sorry couldnt resist

Very unfair on the Black Sea Shark, :lol: they tend to keep to there own and are very shy and reclusive creatures as for the sea lice they tend to nip around this time of the year and the cycle last for about two weeks and its over.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
bgcarl
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby bgcarl » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:49 pm

I had experience of these little blighters last week at Shabla beach. I've swum loads of times there and this is the first time I've come across them. It was also the first time I have known the sea to be so calm and indeed so warm, so maybe these are contributing factors. They did nip a bit but not enough to put me off swimming, and as far as I am aware it was just a nip and didn't pierce the skin. Perhaps they are just practising for when they are 43cm long!

Cheers

BGCarl

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
jinx57
<b>Property Finder</b>

Postby jinx57 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:14 am

blackaqua wrote:
bphirst50 wrote:could they be mini sharks more commonly known as estate agents? :lol:
sorry couldnt resist

Very unfair on the Black Sea Shark, :lol: they tend to keep to there own and are very shy and reclusive creatures as for the sea lice they tend to nip around this time of the year and the cycle last for about two weeks and its over.

Not only in BG - tiny green biters in the north sea too - only come across this once - 5 year old came screaming out of the sea with several on him - looked like leeches. Took him to doctor who didn't know what they were but said it wasn't the first time.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
stevek
Super User!
Super User!

Postby stevek » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:15 am

"as for the sea lice they tend to nip around this time of the year and the cycle last for about two weeks and its over.[/quote]
I would have thought that they would have made a tasty meal for the gulls and other fish given their small size?
Steve

Return to “General Discussion”