Nightmare flood. Cheap fittings and plumbing methods

Discuss here anything that does not already have its own Forum.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
VickyC
Super User!
Super User!

Nightmare flood. Cheap fittings and plumbing methods

Postby VickyC » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:49 am

Well, my husband woke at 2am this morning for the loo and he thought he heard running water. Nightmare!! We had a water fountain gushing out the fitting in the wall where our boiler and central heating feed is downstairs. The thread had burst out the fitting and the whole thing was hanging out the wall. The whole of our downstairs was flooded and to make matters worse its the second time this has happened in 3 years. The first time it was the fitting next to this on the cold water that burst in the wall. The boiler firm (not our builder) fitted this when we moved in.

Talk about poor fittings and standards! Plus the way the pipes have been plumbed must have put pressure on the joints.

There was smoke coming from the socket of the pellet boiler as it has an electric start and run system and we will definitely have to get it looked at by an engineer.

One consolation is we are insured with Intasure and they just renewed my policy.They told me I had a new no-claims bonus!! Its a real pain as the water has gone into all the door frames and under kitchen units and built in wardrobes etc....and they probably will swell up.

Anyway, the water has now been mopped up, but the laminate is soaking in 3 rooms, the rest of the rooms have tiled floors, but they are also sodden. All our water has been drained off and we will face it in the morning now.

Its now 4.45am and we just finished the clean up. place like a bomb site. Try to get some kip, I guess Malc won't be going to work this morning!

Vicky

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:31 am

Sorry to hear about your disaster. Sounds like you will be busy for a while putting things right.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
B52
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby B52 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:44 am

Sorry to hear of your problems.

I'd agree with you about the cheap fittings and the plumbing methods leave a lot to be desired. Having been through several hoses because of ends failing, offset wall-to-faucet adaptors because of splitting
(What is the point of them? To compensate for not being able to position two pipes correctly? And, how do you grip them to turn them? Not with any normal plumbers' tool. Then, trying to align them both and have tight fittings...grrrr. And, then, those flimsy covers (?) that, when threaded as close to the wall as possible, to provide some sort of protection, I assume, from splashes, not for any aesthetic reason surely, fall off the back of the thread because the adaptor is too far from the wall by now anyway)
and taps, due to some fracture in the seams, in the last two years, not to mention having to have two meters replaced and several associated fittings, we wonder why this is so prevalent, having lived 120 years between us, often in worse winters than they get here, with never a problem before.

Anyway, water I fear more than electricity. If you need anything done, let us know.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Norman-D-Beeches
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Norman-D-Beeches » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:40 am

terrible stuff. really sorry to hear about your problems, vicky. hope you can get back to normal soon.

it's hard to understand how this sort of thing happens so frequently. people i know had a new central heating sysem installed, plus showers and kitchen while they were in the UK. when they returned to BG and turned on the water, they told me that every joint leaked.

it's not what you need with weather like we have right now.

best wishes, Norman D.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
fredatinsch
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby fredatinsch » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:51 am

What a terrible thing to have happen, water does a lot of damage. Also to have had it happen before. I think if it was me, I would want all the pipe work re-done. Its a lot of work but its peace of mind. After our chimney fire we discovered some dodgy wiring. I had the whole house re-wired, the mess was heartbreaking especially as we had just finished decorating. We were expecting visitors in five weeks, so we got electricians and plasterers gave them three weeks, then set a daily goal to clean up and redecorated the whole house. Nothing like a deadline to focus the mind.

All the same, its a dam shame for you both.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
itisus

Postby itisus » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:57 am

So sorry to hear of your trouble. Just when you think it is safe and the worst of the winter is over this happens.

If we can help please let us know.

Brian and Marie

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Tiarnan
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Tiarnan » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:54 am

Really sorry to hear of this disaster at your place....made all the worse for you because you know it was bad workmanship. Hopefully you,ll soon get sorted both with your insurance and the clean up and repair. Good luck.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
kempa
Super User!
Super User!

Postby kempa » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:39 am

Bad workmanship - normalno! We had an annexe built from new a couple of years ago and when three rooms out of four flooded earlier this year - our 'maestor' told us that it was moles building their burrows and that's where the water was coming from. Talk about thinking on your feet.
sorry to hear of your problems VickyC and hope they are soon sorted. It's been that sort of year for most people so far.... :cry:
Cheers
Kempa

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
VickyC
Super User!
Super User!

Postby VickyC » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:25 am

Thank you all for the kind words and thoughts. It really helps to know neighbouring Provadites would lend a hand if needed.

We are off to Provadia soon to get bits to get the valve isoated, as that is priority to get our water back on. Apparently the fitting has sheared in the wall, Malc will be best to post the problem, as at the moment he is hacking out the wall.

At least the place looks better than in the early hours and we grabbed a few hours sleep.

Vicky

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
houseman
Super User!
Super User!

Postby houseman » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:46 am

What a nightmare! Our thoughts are very much with you two. If we were there we would be mopping up with you and doing what we could to help. We know you'd do the same for us, but we really hope you'll nopt have to!
We are with Intasure too, so hopefully they'll be on the ball with the payout.
Chins up!
N&I :)

Return to “General Discussion”