Nightmare flood. Cheap fittings and plumbing methods

Discuss here anything that does not already have its own Forum.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
bulldoggeorge
<b>Property Sales/Rentals</b>

Water pressure

Postby bulldoggeorge » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:53 am

Sorry to hear about the mess.
You are probably suffering with these failures due to erratic high water pressure, extremely high pressure can blow apart the best fittings!
There is a thread here about it.
http://www.mybulgaria.info/modules.php? ... r+pressure
I would strongly advise you to install a pressure regulator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Dusty
Super User!
Super User!

nightmare flooding

Postby Dusty » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:08 am

So sorry to hear this sad story Vicky. What an absolute nightmare for you and for a second time. I think the last post might have something to do with it. When our village water was off for sometime when it came back on the pressure was so high that the water out of the taps was white and our connection under the bathroom sink split and leaked. Nothing like your devastation though thank goodness. Even if the water pressure was a problem it surely should not have caused such a big problem. Must be bad workmanship. Hope you are soon sorted.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Norman-D-Beeches
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Norman-D-Beeches » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:32 am

kempa wrote: our 'maestor' told us that it was moles building their burrows and that's where the water was coming from. Talk about thinking on your feet.

as was said, it's the fact that this sort of rubbish is unecessary, if only they'd do the job right. we had a builder who could lie for bulgaria. i remember him explaining, in the solicitor's office, how water appearing in the garden was from a drainage pipe he's put in at the rear of the house. he didn't mention that this pipe stopped about 20 mts from where the water was appearing, or the fact that the end of the pipe was buried in and under concrete. not to mention, of course that this was august, and there'd been no rain for weeks. and that was just one example. oddly enough we learned that everything that was wrong was our fault.

anyway, best wishes, and good luck again with the repairs.

Norman D.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
VickyC
Super User!
Super User!

Postby VickyC » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:07 pm

Hi,

Think BulldogGeorge is probably right, as it was a blown fitting and funnily enough we had a water cut off very recently and the taps were hissing and spluttering with air in the system. There was low pressure, then no pressure and suddenly the pressure came on again very high and you could hear the air in the system gurgling away.

So maybe after all not bad work, just a failure in the valve due to a build up of pressure!!

One of the worrying things was that a terrible smell of sewage came up from the sealed chamber we have as a septic tank (no soakaway) because it is the law that it has to be contained when doing a new build. It stank the house out but has dissipated. We will have to investigate that as outside the house and inside was really bad early this morning...could it be the volume of water gone down there?? Any ideas from anyone please?? We just emptied it last month completely and it holds about 80 cubic metres or more.

We have had the valve temporarily isolated so we can get the water back on and we have dried up as best we can. Will just have to wait and see what the true damage is when things do dry out.

Upstairs is our open plan lounge kitchen/diner and we have our bedroom up there with en-suite so can at least shut the door downstairs and keep warm up here with the fire.

Vicky

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Malky
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Malky » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:55 pm

Hi Guys and thank you for the kind and informative comments. We are quite cool about everything (considering the boiler might be knackered), but just glad to have to water on and am eagerly awaiting my hot shower.

Thanks to Slaphead who emailed with advice and telephoned to see how we were getting on, who also mentioned that we were due a blizzard. Well, Slaphead, you were right! It is stupid weather here now. Only reason I said you were right is you are now married and you will hardly ever hear those words from now on.

Thoughts go out to everyone who has responded with similar or worse incidents, but I must admit, that we sat down eventually after 5 in the morning and I made us a cup of tea, then we had a laugh together.

You realise, there is not anything you can do but handle it and if you don't laugh, you cry.

As Vicky said, I had to have the day off work and by the looks of tonights weather, I wont be there tomorrow either. After using up 7 days annual holidays out of 20 between January and February, it's the last thing I need.

I know I may be close to losing my job in Varna - selling 'Lucky White Heather'.

Anyone want some - discounted price!

Seriously, thanks again for your comments and encouragement and we are ok for the moment, just insurance crap to sort out, but HAPPY!

Cheers, beer now or maybe a wine!

Malky & Vicky

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
houseman
Super User!
Super User!

Postby houseman » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:36 pm

That's the spirit mate! Nazdrave! :) :drinkers:

Return to “General Discussion”