So what do people do who have moved to Bulgaria??

Discuss here anything that does not already have its own Forum.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Hoowster
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Hoowster » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:22 am

It looks to be year in which both you and Bulgaria benefit ......if your plan goes ahead as you outline....
My hats off to you as your year will not be wasted and it seems you will definitely DO something here....Plus as you say after that years adventure, you may come back.... :lol:

8)

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
PCVrach

Study in BG

Postby PCVrach » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:40 am

Mcsam I know exactly what you mean, having started a computing degree course twice as a part-time student and had to drop out both times due to work commitments :(

I imagine if you can support yourself financially to rule out this distraction that it would be a good place to study, the pace of life is far less so no stress there.

I wish you luck with it, regards, David.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
varnaman
Super User!
Super User!

Postby varnaman » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:47 am

mcsam--have you considered volunteering to help in a local state school ? Depending on where you are going, some children may not have had the chance to study with a native speaker before, and it would be of help and interest to them. As long as you don't want any money then the principal and other teachers would probably be happy too, as it would give them an easy lesson. If you impressed enough then it might lead to offers of work or private lessons if you wanted to return on a regular basis. I went and helped at a few state schools, and could now work in a couple of them if I wanted to and they had a vacancy.
Again, depending on your location and the orphans, your neighbours might well be happier and friendlier if you help their children rather than any gypsies dumped in an orphanage.
I know many of you support orphanages,and I don't wish to knock the work you do,but I feel it only right to warn someone who has a renovated property which they might be leaving unattended. Some neighbours may have a different sense of right and wrong, and a newbie may not want to upset the status quo until they get to know their way around, as well as their neighbours feelings.
Back on topic...are there really so few of us on this site who have lived full time in a city or large town without a garden ?

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Mcsam

Postby Mcsam » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:55 am

Thanks Varnaman

I am considering approaching a local school to but I will see how the land lies when I get there.

Mcsam :D

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:52 am

You could always do it informally - just help the neighbours' children, either with school English or with extra material.

As varnaman points out if you go to an institution you will have to deal with this whole issue of ethnic conflict and the resentment of Bulgarians that you are helping an ethnic minority who "do not deserve it". I think outsiders do not fully understand the depth of feeling and antagonism between the ethnic groups in Bulgaria. This can lead to real problems.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Hippyboy
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Hippyboy » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:42 pm

A bit tricky knowing where to post this but it seemed the most appropriate out of those topics that came up on my search , even though it had drifted on to English teaching . I've just been watching the film "A Plot of Your Own " on tv1000 and it reminded me just how great English films are compared to Hollywood pap . It's relatively rare to see English movies on tv here ,but wow what a breath of fresh air they are when you do , the vast majority are American and mostly rubbish . The arts of storytelling and making the simple things in life interesting have been largely forgotten by Hollywood , but british fims have them in abundance . "A Plot of Your Own" is a wonderful story set on some allotments somewhere in England ; if you haven't seen it watch it . I suppose DVD's or downloads is the way to go , then I could show my Bulgarian mates "Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels" and "Snatch" , not sure if they'd really understand them though (apparently they were accompanied by subtitles when screened in the good ole USA) still they're genuinly entertaining anyway . Tim .

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
ERICAANDJOHN

work?

Postby ERICAANDJOHN » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:46 am

Hi All,

I just wondered if anyone has thought about opening an ironing service?

I do work from home in England doing this and make a reasonable living from it with very little outlay

We just put adverts in shop windows and flyers through door at first....

hope the idea helps someone still living there dreams..

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:32 am

Hippyboy wrote:"Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels" and "Snatch" , not sure if they'd really understand them though (apparently they were accompanied by subtitles when screened in the good ole USA) still they're genuinly entertaining anyway . Tim .

A Russian language dubbed version appeared in Moscow shops within a day of their release and I BET there is a Bulgarian sub-titled version if not a dubbed version. However, you won't find it under its original title as they usually get a Cyrillic title that does not always reflect the original title. e.g. The Full Monty came out as Men's Striptease in Russian. :lol:

Back on thread, I think an ironing business would be difficult to get up and running here although, a Launderette might prove viable and somebody was trying to sell the token operated machines and boiler for quiet a while in the For Sale section. 5% of the Bulgarian population have 95% of the wealth and if you can find away of tapping into that money then, you have a business, If not, you end up scratching around with the rest of us poor chickens for some corn. :wink:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
B52
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby B52 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:55 am

Hippyboy said…
I've just been watching the film "A Plot of Your Own " on tv1000 and it reminded me just how great English films are compared to Hollywood pap

Firstly, it was “Grow your own” (2007), filmed on an allotment in Liverpool.

Secondly, although I liked the movie (more like a “made for TV” item, well it was BBC Films), I didn’t think that it was that great. More like something from the 70’s (ahhh…“Hippyboy”, perhaps that is why you liked it so much).

Omid Djalili, Phillip Jackson and Joanna Scanlon were way under par. I quite liked Eddie Marsan, although a bit amateurish.

A nice bit of fluff but how you can dismiss all of Hollywood’s output as pap and assert how great English films are based on one mediocre little, poorly acted, movie is beyond me.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
owain
<b>Property Sales</B>

Postby owain » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:00 am

Lock,Stock & Snatch are popular films in Bulgaria, just as most of the bigger British films are. Many of the British sitcoms and comedy shows are also on Bulgarian T.V. (The I.T Crowd, Catherine Tate, Harry & Paul,My Family, just to name a few). So Bulgarians 'well educated' in British film and T.V
Take a look at "Zamunda.net" and "Arenabg.com" and you'll see most films and series are available for download with Bulgarian subtitles.

:wink: 8)

Return to “General Discussion”