Census in Bulgaria 2011

Discuss here anything that does not already have its own Forum.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
leedarkwood
Mega User!
Mega User!

Census in Bulgaria 2011

Postby leedarkwood » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:43 am

Does anyone who was here in 2001 know what happens with Brits and the census that will held next Spring? How complex will the form be to fill in?

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
millomgirl
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby millomgirl » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:31 am

Presumably, if we are not registered as living in UK then we don't get one. The forms aren't really complicated, there's just pages and pages of them, and as usual, they want to know the in's and out's of your entire life! 8O

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Anni
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Anni » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:25 am

A census is a count of all people and households in the country. It provides population statistics from a national to neighbourhood level for government, local authorities, business and communities.

The last census for England and Wales was on 29 April 2001. The next will take place on 27 March 2011 and will involve around 25 million households.

Even a visitor who just happens to pop in on the 27 March 2011 should technically be shown.

If you aren't here, you are not included which then becomes a nightmare for someone researching your family tree 100 years from now :lol:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
theweeton
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby theweeton » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:41 am

Think it can be done online so google translate may come to the rescue if there is not a U.|K version

http://www.novinite.com/view_news.php?id=119464

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
leedarkwood
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby leedarkwood » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:33 am

Sorry I sort of assumed that people would realise I was talking about the Bulgarian census, not the UK one :oops:

Start again, anyone know anything about filling in the Bulgarian census?

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Liliana

Postby Liliana » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:42 am

I assumed you meant the Bulgarian one and was just about to ask the question :D

Looking at the Novinite link Weeton has posted it quotes 'Bulgarian citizens' so it looks like foreigners who live here permanently are not eligible either....?

I also thought that to be eligible for the UK census you had to be on the electoral roll at the local town hall office? Maybe that's the same in BG? Never been eligible to vote here before so see no reason why things have changed

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Simonita
Super User!
Super User!

Census 2011

Postby Simonita » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:45 pm

The 2011 UK Census will have a facility for on-line completion of the census return, so it might be possible for you to participate from Bulgaria. I think that this would depend on you having some sort of "UK base" or address so that you would be included in the mailing of the instructions/forms (estimated to be sent to 25m households).

I worked as a Census Enumerator back in 1981, and even then it was being suggested that the Census be discontinued, as the government already has all the information that can be gained from the census sitting on a database somewhere. This is even more true today. I predict that the 2011 will be the last - partly because of cost, partly because of improved alternative sources of data, and partly because of the problem of getting a full picture - if it's so hard to get the under 40's to vote, what chance is there of getting them to fill out a census form?? Bad news for future genealogists.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
mickw
Super User!
Super User!

Postby mickw » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:32 pm

I was under the impression that to be included in the Census. You had to be physically present at the premises being inumerated on the actual day of the Census.

Mick

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Simonita
Super User!
Super User!

Census 2011

Postby Simonita » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:10 pm

Correct, but with on-line completion of the forms, who would ever know?

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
leedarkwood
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby leedarkwood » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:41 pm

Ok after a little searching I have found the 2001 census form (for Bulgaria) online here
http://www.unece.org/stats/census/2000/ ... ng2001.pdf

Like the English census you have to list both the residents of the house and the temporary visits. You also have to state what nationality you are, so it will apply to everyone here in the country on the date that the census is taken in your area, between the 10th to the 24th of March. You can fill in the form in advance online and then give the pin number that you will be given to the census collector when they come calling. The 2001 census asked all sorts of questions, like if your toilet is connect to a sewer or not, and how many dishwashers you have. I would guess that the 2011 census will be available online in both English and Bulgarian.

The results of the last census can be seen here http://www.nsi.bg/Census_e/Census_e.htm

Return to “General Discussion”