has Bulgaria been a strain on you ?

Discuss here anything that does not already have its own Forum.

Moderator: Moderator

compact
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

has Bulgaria been a strain on you ?

Postby compact » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:13 am

I have seen a lot of relationships fail in Bulgaria , do you have a story to tell ?

BROWNIE
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby BROWNIE » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:08 am

My husband and I have now been here for 3.1/2 years and have never been happier - I do know of one or two couples that have split whilst living here but I can honestly say it is the best move we ever made

Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:36 am

Is it not Divorce, Death and Moving House that are the 3 main stressful elements of our modern day life?

I've done the Divorce, Death and Moving House so many times I have forgotten where to hang my hat, BUT BUILDING a house in this country has to be one of the most stressful things that I have ever undertaken. I know it is stressful when I wake up in the night thinking that somebody could have done that part of the construction better or differently, that I must order this material and a host of other problems that occur from day to day. It is more stressful now than ever as it is all coming together. I await EVN to come and move the electric meter from the old house to the street, charging 500 Lev for doing it, but never ever knowing when they might turn up. I await my English Electrician to come and finish his second fix, I await my Plumber to come and connect the water supply to the boiler that combines with the solar heating panels waiting to be constructed and of course the connection to my multi-fuel burner....

I await slow Bulgarian builders who prefer to do what they want to do and not what I want them to do and stand over them. I have lived in Caravan now for ONE WHOLE year, the fridge has packed up, the hot water boiler has packed up and the outside shower from a hosepipe is getting colder with the cooling sun.

Would it get me down, yes, of course I get down when my Gas/Electric hob doesn't fit properly and needs some modification, but overall, this is the best place for me to be. If my Wife continues smiling and my dogs continue to wag their tails with happiness then, I can continue to get this project finished. You never know, this time next year, I might have a proper toilet to sit on and a hot shower to stand under. If not, I shall reconsider my relationship with Mr. Jameson and Mr. Tullamore Dew. :wink:

B52
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby B52 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:21 am

So far, only a strain on the back and arms and legs. Oh, and a minor strain on the pocketbook. Hopefully, it won't get any worse.

ardleystar
Super User!
Super User!

Postby ardleystar » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:38 am

Definitely not! I moved here in 2005, bought a few properties, one ostensibly to rent, to provide an income, then when that bombed I set up a furniture supply business to tied me over until my pensions matured in 2009. Now five years later the so called rental property is sold, my business, which served it's purpose has now been terminated and I'm happy fully retired, living on my paltry UK state and meagre Canadian pensions, plus an adequate private pension. No way could I have afforded to live on my pensions in London, from where I moved, though I'm perfectly happy here and having met a fabulous Bulgarian women who precludes me from learning the language due to her excellent English, completes the sublime lifestyle I now lead. I couldn't be happier and just hope, deo volente, my life will be extended a few more decades. I so wish other people, in my position, will find and lead a similarly enjoyable life in this amazingly fabulous and hospitable country.

millomgirl
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby millomgirl » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:17 pm

No, not really, but then I only have myself to fall out with while my OH is in the UK! :lol: We have been apart for nearly a year,apart from when he has been on holiday over here,and I think for many couples this would put a strain on any relationship, but we just seem to fall back into place, and I think the same will happen once he is fully retired at the end of the year. I have known of several couples to split though, mainly because one loved the lifestyle in BG, while the other one loathed it. And I guess it's wanting different things and different outcomes that causes difficulties. I don't think there's any magic formula, but that old phrase 'singing from the same hymn sheet' comes to mind, and if you are both able to do that, you are halfway there. :lol:

parkersd
Super User!
Super User!

Postby parkersd » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:56 pm

No strain up here in the North-East of the country...hubby loves working on the land,we have over an acre so that should keep him busy for a few years!! We work together on some projects,apart on others - visit friends,have lunch out,go to the beach,invite the neighbours over for Rakia!!!..very rarely spend much time apart,but there's no real strain despite that. Just a wonderful lifestyle and no alarm clocks...don't even know what day it is sometimes!!!! :lol:

TGTGN

Postby TGTGN » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:33 pm

I came here single and now have a Bulgarian girlfriend who I would not have met unless I came to live in Bulgaria. In my case the move to Bulgaria has enabled the relationship, not destroyed it. :D

Tiarnan
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Tiarnan » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:42 pm

A strain...? definately not...unless dealing with Bulgarian real estate agents, solicitors or builders, taxi drivers, awful drivers, Technoplis and the few gangsters who wanted money to look after our house. Left alone in our own wee place its great....then again its all about the company....I brought the best company with me from Ireland.

kazz
<b>Country Advisor/Property Finder</b>

Postby kazz » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:53 pm

We've also heard of many relationships ending here.....and witnessed a few.
In some case I suspect people came to Bulgaria hoping to get away from problems and discovered they brought the problems with them :?
There's also the thing of spending more time with your partner than you ever did before, that can be a good thing or a bad one!

In other cases....I guess I don't believe a relationship that's ended is always the same thing as failure. People grow, move, change, want different things from their lives at different times. Far better (I believe) to acknowledge that if it's happened than to struggle on regardless.

Personally I'd say we've been lucky....5 years in Bulgaria and we've both changed but we're still going in the same direction. we both love the life we're creating here and despite moments of stress neither of us would want to be anywhere else.

Return to “General Discussion”