children stories

Discuss here anything that does not already have its own Forum.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Tiarnan
Mega User!
Mega User!

children stories

Postby Tiarnan » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:21 am

Are there any children stories in Bulgaria. ?

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
fredatinsch
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby fredatinsch » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:27 am

In the book shop in town there seemed to be plenty of childrens story books. The pictures did not remind me of any UK childrens books either.
There must be tales of Wolves and Bears, forests and things appertaining to Bulgaria. Interesting.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
B52
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby B52 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:54 am

Well, a lot depends on whether you want Bulgarian stories in English or stories in Bulgarian. I haven’t seen many of the former but any bookstore and even magazine racks in supermarkets will have lots of the latter available.

One of the best books to give a kid, if you are interested in them learning some Bulgarian and you can sit with them and help them read and use it to play games, is “My First 1000 Words in English” or “Първите 1000 думи на английски” (I’ve never seen “My First 1000 Words in Bulgarian” and this is a great substitute). It retails for 6 leva (or 10 with the CD) and is available in lots of places, including supermarket magazine racks. It has lovely colourful pictures with lots of detail, lots of situations, like the kitchen, the street, the park, etc., and shows the words in English and Bulgarian. Good for adults too ;)

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Tiarnan
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Tiarnan » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:58 am

No, I was thinking of stories here in Bulgaria about children rather than dogs.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
NannyJ
<b>Prop Management/Transport Services</b

childerns storys

Postby NannyJ » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:24 pm

That give me a laugh Tairnan, Wonder why you got no replays!!! I think a big black mark for you. [-X

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
fredatinsch
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby fredatinsch » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:34 pm

Tiarnan - you need to elaborate. are you wondering if in Bulgaria there are stories that have stood the test of time, that are told to children like in the UK. I give an example, Goldilocks and the Three Bears is a UK story told to Children. Are you looking for Bulgarian stories that parents tell their offspring.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
tandt
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby tandt » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:26 pm

I believe tiernan's post is a sarcastic poke in answer to the thread 'Another dog story' posted earlier. :lol:
Trev.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
LUCI
Super User!
Super User!

Postby LUCI » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:01 pm

some pretty horrific ones i should think - probably mostly on the orphanage threads or that ghastly hospital place which was the subject of a documentary a couple of years back

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
kazz
<b>Country Advisor/Property Finder</b>

Postby kazz » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:18 pm

There is a 'childrens story' going on at the moment which you can tune into if you have Bulgarian TV. Watch 'Shestorka 2' on BTV Tuesdays and Thursdays. 8pm.
This is a fundraiser for Bulgaria's children in homes.
The last 'Shectorka' raised 1 400 000 leva.
In a way it's a bit cheesy, 6 celebs paired with 6 professional singers. Every week they sing a duet and the public gets to vote the best (or most loved or least bad! :D )
This is all in Bulgarian so I'll just give you the 'as best as I understand it' version. If I've got something wrong I hope someone with better Bulgarian will come along and correct me.
The specific aim this year is to raise money to close a children's home near Schuman which currently houses 106 children under the age of 3.
The hope is to support the children in their natural families or arrange adoption or fostering.

There are more than 2500 under 3's in care in Bulgaria. Many are cared for in large institutions.
3 months in an institution equals 1 month of retarded development, Interlectual, emotional, social and physical impairment which may stay with the child throughout their life.
This may not be because the care is 'bad' but simply because children are meant to be raised by families.
Various stories of the children are shown in amongst the bad singing and well known and respected Bulgarian personalities are shown in tears and impassioned....statements I've understood include.
'I've met children from some of the poorest countries in the world and I've never seen anything like the way we, who call ourselves a 21st century European country treat our children'
'These are our children, if we can give them a future Bulgaria has a future'

Some of it is, of course sentimental, some of it is also very pragmatic (relationships between early institutional care and later unemployment, criminality and early parenthood).

For me the most heartening thing is the sense that the lead is being taken by Bulgarians to say that this cannot continue. This message from loved and respected public figures means a lot more than if it's us or any foreign inspectorate saying it.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:52 pm

THE EU position of encouraging closure of Children's Homes raises a lot of questions. I for one have grave reservations about this path.

Fostering is an unlikely option unless we see growing numbers of Bulgarians prepared to foster children from minority ethnic backgrounds.

A more feasible option is for the development of more institutions on the lines of SOS-Kinderdorf with their family-like structures.

Return to “General Discussion”