Where the EU Funding is going...

Discuss here anything that does not already have its own Forum.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Simonita
Super User!
Super User!

Where the EU Funding is going...

Postby Simonita » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:12 pm

Now that EU money is reaching Bulgaria in quantities, it is more and more common to see the Co-Financing signs attached to all sorts of projects and buildings. Thought it might be interesting to note the more appropriate/inappropriate, likely/unlikely or just plain bizarre of these.

My personal favourite at the moment is the refurbishment of the police holding cells at Tryavna police station.

I haven't seen them from the inside...

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
fredatinsch
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby fredatinsch » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:45 pm

Glad to hear that simonita.... I been wondering where all the money is coming from for the extensive building works going on in Mindya at the moment. Seems to me that so many people are having new roofs, porches, walls etc built or rebuilt!

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
ChrisF
Super User!
Super User!

Postby ChrisF » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:34 pm

There's no EU funding going directly to refurbish/renovate private houses. Freda; maybe by a roundabout route, though..........

Chris

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
scubawitherica

Postby scubawitherica » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:16 pm

I am told by my neighbours that they are now getting new windows and doors on credit which is a relatively new concept for Bulgarians.
Although I do wonder how that is possible as my neighbours are either pensioners or agricultural workers (very seasonal) or on the bulgarian equivalant of the dole. and you cannot repay credit on that. :?:
Erica

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
fredatinsch
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby fredatinsch » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:43 am

All very strange, but I can honestly say I have never seen so much building work being done to Bulgarian family houses, as I have seen these last two month.
Thought it may have been a five yearly grant or something along those lines or perhaps EU generated.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Slaphead
Pig Headed

Postby Slaphead » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:13 am

Quite a number are financing improvements by releasing equity from their houses. i.e. taking loans against their property.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
weefrankie
Super User!
Super User!

where the E U funding is going

Postby weefrankie » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:26 am

I too have noticed the amount of new roofs going on houses and asked my reliable young taxi driver if they were getting money from the Government, he just laughed and assured me that no money was being handed out by the authorities. I think he was really amused at the thought of the Government handing out money for roof repairs. It's not just houses barns as well. I have no idea how they are funding these repairs.

Wee Frankie

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Re: where the E U funding is going

Postby brianj42 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:34 am

weefrankie wrote:I too have noticed the amount of new roofs going on houses and asked my reliable young taxi driver if they were getting money from the Government, he just laughed and assured me that no money was being handed out by the authorities. I think he was really amused at the thought of the Government handing out money for roof repairs. It's not just houses barns as well. I have no idea how they are funding these repairs.

Wee Frankie

Check your credit card statement this month :lol:

As far as wasting money goes. Check out the millions spent on brightly coloured recycling bins, that end up on the same municipality tip as normal waste.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
jinx57
<b>Property Finder</b>

Postby jinx57 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:03 pm

guess the BG authorities didn't think to use all this money sloshing around to ensure the villages in the dryer south east get a proper water supply in the summer?

or to provide travelling medical facility to the villages?

or to improve facilities at the childrens homes - separate quarters for girls and boys, educated staff, proper food & clothing, stimulation and appropriate education and care?

or to repair some of the toilet facilities in the schools?

or to provide education, medication and follow up on how to treat working and pet animals properly?

or to round up street dogs feeding, cleaning and attending to their vetinary needs and make sure the males are castrated before attemting to re-home or even return to the streets.

how needy does a society have to be before grant money gets spent on its improvement rather than on making it look pretty on the face of it ?

before any of you criticize the order of this list - it's not intentionally in priority order nor does it list all the social goodies that this euro money should be spent on - guess you have others?

perhaps we could form a big list, vote on it's priority and feed it up to the EU authorities section that is responsible for handing out this grant money along with another list of what the money is actually being spent on ...... your call

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Hippyboy
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Hippyboy » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:37 pm

The EU is mainly supposed to be funding infrastructure projects like highways and sewerage , although I would have thought that improving the water supply to areas that suffer regular shortages should be within their remit . It is often the case that is money available for other things but you have to apply for it ; it took the UK ages to get around to asking for regional development grants for deprived areas . It may be that grants are available to improve conditions in children's homes , but the application process is complicated , so maybe nobody has asked for them . Some grants used to be only available if you could raise some capital yourself , then the EU grant would match it . Of course they also keep changing what you can get grants for , but I doubt if fixing your roof is on the list . Tim .

Return to “General Discussion”