Where the EU Funding is going...

Discuss here anything that does not already have its own Forum.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Mat
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Mat » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:14 pm

Renovating police cells and holding facilities is incredibly important in the process of reforming the police and turning them from an agent of state control to servants of the public. It may sound a bit ephemeral but to have an open reception area massively increases both the police's perception by society and within themselves. Having video surveillance stops issues of police brutality. Improving the quality of cells is essential for people who have not yet been convicted or even accused of any crime.

And the EU has provided a whole series of 38 tonne trucks equipped for all kinds of diagnosis and treatment in isolated areas (the state has no money to pay for petrol sadly). Huge amounts are going on the refurbishment/closure of children's homes and EU pressure has led to the creation of a clear deinstitutionalisation strategy for the first time. Massive amounts are going into rural development funding and CAP where farmers have to show that they are following good agricultural and good farming practice which includes animal welfare.

OK, so they are not doing anything about the dogs but they could probably be covered by some scheme or another. Fixing this place is akin to cleaning the Augean stables, made harder by a lack of talent locally to manage it and everyone in politics just trying to nick it, but I think those who criticise the EU have less and less to stand on. At least here in BG.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

and

Postby scot47 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:02 pm

.......................and don't forget salaries for Mat and his pals in Sofia !

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
jinx57
<b>Property Finder</b>

Re: and

Postby jinx57 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:57 pm

scot47 wrote:.......................and don't forget salaries for Mat and his pals in Sofia !

ha!

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
jinx57
<b>Property Finder</b>

Postby jinx57 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:59 pm

Mat wrote: I think those who criticise the EU have less and less to stand on. At least here in BG.

No critisism of the EU per se ..... but seems incongrouous to the point of joke, from posts on this thread, as to where the money goes ...

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
parkersd
Super User!
Super User!

Postby parkersd » Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:22 pm

Some of it is going on a brand new road from General Toshevo to Dobrich & then on to Varna....but if it's like all the other roads that have been laid in the 3 years we've been here,it will want doing again next year!!!! :(

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Hippyboy
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Hippyboy » Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:46 pm

I'm in favour of the EU , but that doesn't mean you shouldn't critisize it . The CAP has in many ways been a disaster . In the UK loads of fruit orchards were ploughed up to grow wheat to feed the mountain , and now we're expected to eat 'Golden Delicious' (not) rather than Coxes or other English fruit . It never fails to amaze me just how tasteless most of the tomatoes on sale in England are , and Bulgaria was already being swamped with cheap inferior Turkish tomatoes before they entered the EU ; when you do get to eat locally grown tomatoes , you most certainly can taste the difference . I've bought 'organically grown' Spanish tomatoes in the UK , and they were rubbish . If Bulgaria could get funding to 'collectively' produce and export real tomatoes to the rest of the EU I think they'd be very popular , the only problem is they wouldn't all be the same size and shape . Tim .

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
saxovtr
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby saxovtr » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:34 pm

parkersd wrote:Some of it is going on a brand new road from General Toshevo to Dobrich & then on to Varna....but if it's like all the other roads that have been laid in the 3 years we've been here,it will want doing again next year!!!! :(

You been in the UK lately? The main roads in Bulgaria are much better than anything we will ever see here

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
jinx57
<b>Property Finder</b>

Postby jinx57 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:39 am

[quote

You been in the UK lately? The main roads in Bulgaria are much better than anything we will ever see here[/quote]

Oh yes! and with the UK spending review guess the potholes will resemble Romania's country roads soon .......

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:56 am

Switzerland, secret numbered accounts :lol:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:05 pm

I wish I could find away to tap into that EU money however, projects that I have noticed on my travels during recent months.

An orphanage in a village not far from Karnobat and whose name escapes me at the moment, but I believe it is mentioned elsewhere in these forums, all nicely renovated from the outside at least with the usual EU funding sign.

Centre of Karnobat; Pensioners accommodation due for renovation, EU funding board already displayed.

Numerous schools in Karnobat all now insulated with new façades and looking nice, no idea how they might be inside can't recall now if these were EU funded or not.

The old Coast Guard station in the summer gardens in Burgas. EU funded, but no idea why or what use it is going to be, but it lifts the overall look of the area.

Non EU funded projects and I wonder where the money comes from: - The Bus station in Karnobat is undergoing a complete refurbishment and they completely resurfaced a long stretch of road from the centre of the town down to the Train Station starting at the still closed Penny Supermarket. I did not see any EU funding signs for these two projects, but who knows, is there a law to say to have to put the EU funding sign or, could you just make out that you're a great Mayor and did it from internal revenue I wonder!

Then there are numerous Fruit growing fields I see with an EU Funding sign displayed, never really have time to stop and read what they say on busy roads, but again, I ask myself what exactly is being funded as the orchard was already there. In another area, where an EU funding sign was displayed, someone had managed to build a stone road going a couple of hundred metres leading to nowhere and that was the end of the story so far. Who actually checks from the EU if the money has been used for its intended purpose or whether it found its way into someone's personal pocket.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for EU Funding when it helps improve the infrastructure of my adopted country Bulgaria. I would just like to see that it is not being misused and that deserving projects get priority over things that are not so desperate.

:wink:

Return to “General Discussion”