need advice sell or buy possessions

Discuss here anything that does not already have its own Forum.

Moderator: Moderator

suilung

need advice sell or buy possessions

Postby suilung » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:22 pm

Hello everyone,
I would greatly appreciate everybody's opinion and experiences in what is the best option in regards to your possessions. Do we sell as much as we can before leaving the UK and then buy out in BG. Do we take everything we can to BG. Are there just specific types of possessions that are hard to buy in BG like electrical or furniture etc. Many thanks in advance. Claire

Chopwood

Postby Chopwood » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:29 pm

Hi Clair, Take everything you can, including your electrical goods, they all work in BG, you will just have to change the plugs or buy adaptors.
Electrical goods in BG are not cheap.
Steve

suilung

Postby suilung » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:30 pm

thanks mate :D

1abroad

Postby 1abroad » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:36 pm

Sent you a PM

millomgirl
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby millomgirl » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:44 pm

Things like rotary washing lines etc are hard to come by here. I would also say bring what you can, although I have not had any problems with electrical goods, tv's or the like. Furniture here in the Veliko Turnovo region is plentiful, lots of variety etc. Gardening tools I would advise to bring, as spades and forks tend to fall apart at the first hurdle. :lol:

PosabinaPete

Postby PosabinaPete » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:47 pm

I agree with Chopwood. Take everything including the kitchen sink

parkersd
Super User!
Super User!

Postby parkersd » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:31 pm

We found that by bringing our furniture with us helped us to settle much quicker than we would have done with new stuff.We slept in our own bed on the first night,sat on our sofas etc...just felt much more at home!And the first thing we unpacked were all the family photos,which were up on the wall within about 3 days. :D

B52
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby B52 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:44 pm

Well, I've posted on this sort of thing before. Don't sell anything. Don't give it away to friends or family.

Do the maths. How much is it going to cost you to move here?

It may have changed a bit in the last couple of years but we paid around £2000 for a 32 cu m truck, door to door. That is (say a nominal 30 cu m used) £66.66 per cu m.

That may sound like a lot but a cooker is perhaps 60cmx60cmx80cm = 0.288 cu m = approx. £20 Why would you spend £200 or more for a new one when you can bring your perfectly good one here for £20. OK, it may need a few centimetres of padding to keep it safe but that adds hardly any cost.

Your favourite toothpaste? In a box 4cmx4cmx15cm = 0.00024 cu m = just over 1p (less if you take it out of its carton). Bring as many boxes as you can pack in because you won't find it here (it's Murphy's law).

theweeton
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby theweeton » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:55 pm

And me, If your partner is anything like mine sell, give away or skip the lot.

Every time we have moved with all our possessions in U.K. within three years we have skipped most of it, its either the wrong size colour or we needed a change.
Conceder the costs of moving furniture even accounting for an oven full of toothpaste then after a few months throwing everything except the toothpaste against buying everything new and waiting for a 2 for one offer at Kaufland for the toothpaste.
It will cost you more to buy all new but with the saving on not bringing anything you are more than half way there.

How will your old U.K. furniture look in your new apartment or renovated home :?:

dylan

Postby dylan » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:26 pm

Bring everything you can and if it doesnt fit here then throw it away here. its nice to have familiar stuff around you. Drive a van over or get someone to do that for you and then sell the van..I am so glad i brought as much as i coukd 5 years ago as everything i have bougfht in BG just falls apart after weeks, bring EVERYTHING including the kitchen sink. :) My opinion. dylan

Return to “General Discussion”