Living On 400 Leva A Month

Discuss here anything that does not already have its own Forum.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Kembo

Postby Kembo » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:50 pm

Pascalcho wrote:Rent: €150.00-200.00
Internet/phone 30€ or /Lev?
Hand rolling tobacco 5€/50gr?
House/local taxes 10-50€ or /Lev?
Coal 150-200€/1000kg?
Wood blocks 25-30€ / m³?
Electric 20-50€?

@ Pascalcho, sorry, missed your reply earlier, thanks for filling in some of the blanks with regards to prices, doesn't look bad at all does it. Everything appears to be from 50% to 66% cheaper than Irish prices. As someone who smokes a lot, those tobacco prices of €5 for 50grams is amazing, 50 grams here costs €17, almost worth the move just for the tobacco savings :)

SooToo wrote:This time last year bread in our local shop was 60 stotinkis per loaf. It's now 1 lev and doesn't look like reducing in the forseeable future. Prices may not have varied much in the last 6 months but in the last year, they most certainly have.

Even basics like bread I would like to have a go at making myself, although at those prices it's easier and less hassle just to buy a loaf of bread, although it's still fun and learning by trying to make it yourself occasionally.

leedarkwood wrote:Cured tobacco is about five lev a kilo bought from the back door in our village, you just need a sharp knife to cut it up!

I can imagine that is a pretty rough smoke, is it basically just the tobacco leaves you get given to cut up and roll your own? I wasn't aware until reading on here that tobacco was grown in Bulgaria, and later read that it was actually an major tobacco producer.

leedarkwood wrote:Unless you already have good bulgarian you need a phone on you so you can phone a BG english speaking friend when you get stuck. I would suggest you need to aim for at least 1000 leva a month to have a reasonable life here.

Yes, we would get a home phone set up, the language will be a major obstacle for us, I don't know a single word of Bulgarian, and I'm useless at languages, but I wont let that put me off. Whilst it would be nice to learn some basic Bulgarian as I go along, I'm prepared to pay people to translate/deal with any paperwork/phonecalls when we get there, and I know there will be a mountain of paperwork :)

It looks like 1000 Leva per month is something to aim for then, it should be achievable I think, which is dirt cheap as far as living costs are concerned, even considering recent price rises. It's to be seen what will happen if the Euro is eventually released in Bulgaria, and whether prices will go through the roof as a result of that.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
AngloBulgarian

Postby AngloBulgarian » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:08 pm

Hi Kembo

Ive PM'd you but i think most on here have covered the things i said.

Roughness of tobacco is allot to do with moisture - you might want to experiment with this for 5lv a KG !!!! LOL I dam well would.........

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
leedarkwood
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby leedarkwood » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:34 am

Kembo wrote:

leedarkwood wrote:Cured tobacco is about five lev a kilo bought from the back door in our village, you just need a sharp knife to cut it up!

I can imagine that is a pretty rough smoke, is it basically just the tobacco leaves you get given to cut up and roll your own? I wasn't aware until reading on here that tobacco was grown in Bulgaria, and later read that it was actually an major tobacco producer.

Um, what did you think tobacco was made from? 8O 8O This is sun cured tobacco, called Burley if you want to look it up. You could probably grow your own if you are in the South.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Kembo

Postby Kembo » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:05 pm

leedarkwood wrote:Um, what did you think tobacco was made from? 8O 8O

Hi Lee, yes, I know tobacco is made from the leaves of the tobacco plant :) I was just asking whether it was just a load of leaves you are given to cut up yourself, or if the tobacco had been processed in an way.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
leedarkwood
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby leedarkwood » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:44 pm

No it is cured ready to use you just have to strip the leaves from either side of the stem and fine cut it. If you have a look here
http://tobaccocollector.tripod.com/home/id8.html

you will see all the processes they now use to make stuff like the stems useable, just using the leaf is less toxic, and I am told it is a good smooth smoke.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Longdog

Postby Longdog » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:52 pm

hi Kembo,
I'm another newbie and have been reading the forums for similar information. From your earlier post, you mention a ten year old child. I have seen elsewhere that consideration on the childs' schooling would be a major consideration. It might be worth asking the old hands about that as well.
Regards
Longdog

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Kembo

Postby Kembo » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:15 pm

@ Longdog, funnily enough, I just made a post about home schooling before seeing your post above :)

Thanks for the info and link, Lee interesting reading 8O

Return to “General Discussion”