Leaving the UK sinking ship

Discuss here anything that does not already have its own Forum.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Haggis

Postby Haggis » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:32 am

Well I sure am more determined now. Always was a stubborn b**ger me.

I must admit though that I never thought that this post would gather the momentum it has. I also post on another forum and that has a magical 3 posts on it now and 2 of them are mine. :D

Well this is the last morning to post from my highlands hotel as after breakfast we head back to reality and work.

To all who have sent me pm's I thank you for your encouragement and discouragement.

Ok a little more about Suzi and I. We are both in our 40's and enjoy life. Both work and we have 3 dogs, ont trike and one Harley Crossbones. We both enjoy the biking scene and feel better that there is a scene in Bulgaria. Feel we will fit in ok.

Now a question for you all. Please only answer it if you can answer truthfully and not speculatively. Think I know what I mean :? :?

To live in a rural property say 50miles from a city or large town. What would we need for a monthly budget?
Answer as if the house and land we have is not needing any work done.....just living expenses is what we need to know. taxes, costs to run a van, to eat, lecky, fuel for heating etc etc

Another question and a broad one at that.....What's the fishing like in BG?

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
MOD
<b>Be Generous & Give MOD a Home</b>

Postby MOD » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:45 am

Hi Haggis,

Now that you've settled in, it's time to familiarise yourself with the MYBG search facilities. You'll find a detailed explanation of how these work at the top of the 'Latest forum postings' list.

Threads discussing monthly budgets, fishing and just about anything else you can think of already exist on here, so please locate them and ask your questions there.

Any replies on this thread regarding budgets or fishing will be removed.

Thanks

Mod 8)

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
DANNIA
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby DANNIA » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:05 pm

Seedy wrote:PS I can't believe that I haven't visited your site before now - there are many delightful photos there. I'm very jealous, Darren! :)

Thanks Seedy :) and to everyone else x

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
shebry
Super User!
Super User!

Postby shebry » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:58 pm

Oscar wrote:Best get over here quick Haggis,VAT,fuel and rail ticket price rises will eat into your budget before you even leave the UK. :D

Oscar
I think it is a little unfair and misleading to give Haggis the impression that he and Suzi should flee the UK quick . What you haven't pointed out is that the 2.5% increase on VAT only brings it in line with Bulgaria on the standard rate of 20%. You didn't mention that fuel prices in Bulgaria had increased and will continue to do so, and on a search I did on transport it looks as if transport costs are going up in Bulgaria. Other increases you missed to advise on, are going to include gas, electricity and water, so to be fair to Haggis and Suzi I think you must not give the impression that everything in the garden is rosy 8) :roll:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:29 pm

shebry wrote:
Oscar wrote:Best get over here quick Haggis,VAT,fuel and rail ticket price rises will eat into your budget before you even leave the UK. :D

Oscar
I think it is a little unfair and misleading to give Haggis the impression that he and Suzi should flee the UK quick . What you haven't pointed out is that the 2.5% increase on VAT only brings it in line with Bulgaria on the standard rate of 20%. You didn't mention that fuel prices in Bulgaria had increased and will continue to do so, and on a search I did on transport it looks as if transport costs are going up in Bulgaria. Other increases you missed to advise on, are going to include gas, electricity and water, so to be fair to Haggis and Suzi I think you must not give the impression that everything in the garden is rosy 8) :roll:

Fair points. My Gas Bottle refills now cost me 28 Lev which I believe is around an increase of 5-6 Lev since I first started buying them a year or so ago. Albeit, I do believe that the cost of Electricity per unit is much cheaper here than in the UK. 95 Octane fuel is still around 2.2 Lev a litre and I have no idea how much it costs in the UK. Water, I have no idea of the cost here or in the UK as I don't have mains water, but I am sure that it is nowhere near the annual Seven Trent Water or whichever other water board charges these days. A don't forget the staggering cost of Land Tax we pay here in country houses, that SIX Lev nearly caused me to break open my Piggy Bank.

However, saying all of the foregoing, if you are a Bulgarian without an income, it is probably all very expensive. It brings it home to me when I just fill the car to the top and others are putting 10 Lev worth of fuel in their vehicles.

I bet I have wondered off thread again, but was only following your lead - Honest Guv. :wink:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Oscar
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Oscar » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:46 pm

shebry wrote: so to be fair to Haggis and Suzi I think you must not give the impression that everything in the garden is rosy 8) :roll:

Why must I not give them the impression that everything in the garden is not rosy when everything in the garden IS rosy compared to prices in UK...I can live comfortably on less than £5,000 here in Bulgaria and not work..now tell me thats possible in UK,unless you are on benefits and have to,and I am talking about all your bills,electric,council tax,holidays and food.Tell me also where you can get a city bus in UK for less than 50p...if you wanna continue getting ripped off in rip off UK,stay there,it's that simple.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
shebry
Super User!
Super User!

Postby shebry » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:57 pm

Hi MW, you posted
Albeit, I do believe that the cost of Electricity per unit is much cheaper here than in the UK.
I have to agree with that observation but you haven't referred to all the people in Bulgaria who didn't have electricity (we did) over the Christmas period
I know one family who run a market garden, they had no electricity for three day's which meant they had no water because the pump wasn't working, they had no heat for the greenhouses, no Christmas dinner and could not get in touch with the outside world
Sorry MOD if slightly off topic but I am trying to justify certain postings and the difference in comparing the UK with Bulgaria 8)

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Oscar
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Oscar » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:06 pm

shebry wrote:Hi MW, you posted
Albeit, I do believe that the cost of Electricity per unit is much cheaper here than in the UK.
I have to agree with that observation but you haven't referred to all the people in Bulgaria who didn't have electricity (we did) over the Christmas period
I know one family who run a market garden, they had no electricity for three day's which meant they had no water because the pump wasn't working, they had no heat for the greenhouses, no Christmas dinner and could not get in touch with the outside world
Sorry MOD if slightly off topic but I am trying to justify certain postings and the difference in comparing the UK with Bulgaria 8)

I know certain parts of the UK that were without water for a week,and where the rubbish is at this moment piling up in residential areas...all while the people expecting these things to work right are paying a fortune for the privelege...Haggis and Suzy,the fun starts in BG,come and join in.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
fred
Super User!
Super User!

Postby fred » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:35 pm

Hi all

To me it seems ridiculous to compare the two countries, or any two countries.

I know a few folk who have made a real good go of settling in Bulgaria. They all have a few things in common, they had a good idea how they were going to make their living, they did the research to make sure that living would be sustainable and they had an amount of money to fall back on.

Retiring to Bulgaria with a pension is a great option, it will make the most of your money and it is a quirky but wonderful place to be.

Going out there on a wing and a prayer when you have no pension and no money is nuts.

The OP has a house he can rent out and so is not going to be broke. I wish them luck.

The price of this that and the other is irrelevant because what you can hope to earn in Bg is so much less than in the UK.

Cheers Fred.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Pascalcho

Postby Pascalcho » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:35 pm

Oscar wrote:
shebry wrote:Hi MW, you posted

I know certain parts of the UK that were without water for a week,and where the rubbish is at this moment piling up in residential areas...all while the people expecting these things to work right are paying a fortune for the privelege...Haggis and Suzy,the fun starts in BG,come and join in.

Exactly my thoughts.
If i pay a lot then i want it to work perfect. The more i pay the better it should work. The better and quicker they should answer me why it doesn't work.
If it costs much less then i don't have a problem when there is a (small) problem with it.

But to be honest, most of the time it works better in Bulgaria then where you pay double or triple prices.
Maybe some people weren't so lucky with their region but the regions where i am/come don't have those problems.

Return to “General Discussion”