MY Electrical Installation in Bulgaria

Discuss here anything that does not already have its own Forum.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
xt600
Super User!
Super User!

Postby xt600 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:11 pm

So, is my house in Bg the only one with a ring main? This makes me very proud indeed! It's probably one of very few houses with a proper earth too, properly rated cables and breakers, and an RCD protecting every circuit.
The only reason ring circuits are not allowed is because locals don't understand how to install them, maintain them, and most importantly test them. If the local electricians knew that they can do the same job but use a little less cable then they'd all be doing it!

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Seedy
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Seedy » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:01 pm

xt600 wrote:So, is my house in Bg the only one with a ring main? This makes me very proud indeed! It's probably one of very few houses with a proper earth too, properly rated cables and breakers, and an RCD protecting every circuit.
The only reason ring circuits are not allowed is because locals don't understand how to install them, maintain them, and most importantly test them. If the local electricians knew that they can do the same job but use a little less cable then they'd all be doing it!

An interesting take on the situation. So having an electrical installation which doesn't conform to local standards and which the electricity company would no doubt refuse to connect to their network if they were aware of is a matter of pride?

The "only" reason ring mains aren't permitted is because they don't conform to local regulations; your personal views on their relative merits are completely immaterial, not to mention insulting to the local electricians. Why SHOULD they "understand how to install..., maintain ..., and most importantly test" systems which don't meet Bulgarian standards? What would you think about someone who decided to live in the UK and wire up their house in the way they "knew" was much better than what they might regard as primitive British standards because in their country no-one bothered with fuses, earth connections etc? I'm sure you'd agree their attitude would be the height of arrogance and folly (not to use other, stronger, terms).

Sure, a lot of electrical work, especially DIY, in Bulgaria is slapdash and/or dangerous but to deliberately flout the rules of a country because one is too "smart" to bother with them just beggars belief....

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:05 pm

Seedy, this is the attitude of very many migrants from Britain to Bulgaria. No wonder the locals support "Ataka" ! Especially the local electricians !

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:52 pm

xt600 wrote:So, is my house in Bg the only one with a ring main? This makes me very proud indeed! It's probably one of very few houses with a proper earth too, properly rated cables and breakers, and an RCD protecting every circuit.

I guess that there are a few of us with UK standard wiring. My house (new build) was wired by Rikki the English Electrician with the ring mains I insisted on all fused, well trip switches and the RCB's for my outside sockets etc. Plus, all my interior lighting is 12 volt. However, we only placed an earth spike (I knocked the 3 metre pole into the ground 2 metres deep myself and cut the surplus off) was an after thought on my behalf after the Wife kept getting the 'tingle' off the dishwasher. We tried the earth wire connected to the neutral first, but it did not resolve the problem.

On future renovations, I will build an earth spike into the plans as well as putting some sockets that can be used from an outside generator. That is if I do not realise my future plan of getting some power from solar, water or wind as I have all three in abundance at some time during the calendar year here; just trying to find the best combination at the lowest installation costs as anything more than 10 years to show a return seem non-viable to me. Who knows where we might be as regards electricity in 10 years time, I personally have no idea what might be in this 'shocking' world. :wink:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
xt600
Super User!
Super User!

Postby xt600 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:57 pm

An interesting take on the situation. So having an electrical installation which doesn't conform to local standards and which the electricity company would no doubt refuse to connect to their network if they were aware of is a matter of pride?
The "only" reason ring mains aren't permitted is because they don't conform to local regulations; your personal views on their relative merits are completely immaterial, not to mention insulting to the local electricians. Why SHOULD they "understand how to install..., maintain ..., and most importantly test" systems which don't meet Bulgarian standards? What would you think about someone who decided to live in the UK and wire up their house in the way they "knew" was much better than what they might regard as primitive British standards because in their country no-one bothered with fuses, earth connections etc? I'm sure you'd agree their attitude would be the height of arrogance and folly (not to use other, stronger, terms).
Sure, a lot of electrical work, especially DIY, in Bulgaria is slapdash and/or dangerous but to deliberately flout the rules of a country because one is too "smart" to bother with them just beggars belief....[/quote]

Yes Seedy, I'm proud and happy with my installation, and the work I do. From what I've seen, it's quite obvious that the general standard of electrical work in BG is nowhere near that which exists in the more 'developed' parts of Europe and I'm quite sure the facts and figures on fires/deaths/injuries would bear this out.
My opinion is based on years of experience working in the UK, and many other countries across the world, and backed by the qualifications obtained during those years.
Your analogy is rather silly too, if I may say so. Anyone working in the Uk would obviously be expected to work to the required standard in the UK. However, they would not be lambasted for exceeding those standards!

You may view it as arrogance & folly, but I personally would welcome anyone who has the knowledge,ability and pride to do a decent job within Bulgaria. That way, the local workforce may be encourages to up their game!

And BTW, I've also fitted my woodburner according to the strict building regulations now present in the UK, I suppose this is folly to is it?? Hopefully, I won't be just another one of those unfortunate victims we've read about recently who are lucky to have escaped with their lives....

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
bphirst50
Super User!
Super User!

Postby bphirst50 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:36 pm

MW, I am hoping that we will be all wireless in 10 years for electricity so I wont need to rewire our newbuild! :lol:

Tony

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
seathrift
Super User!
Super User!

Postby seathrift » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:28 pm

However, so far as I am aware all of Europe works on a 2 pin system. Not being an Electrician I do not know if this is good or bad, but it would seem from this the conclusion that the UK system is the only safe installation, might be overstating the case.
There is no doubt that a lot of BG wiring leaves much to be desired, but so far as I can see a properly wired 2 pin system is as safe as any other. I believe both systems have their drawbacks if misused or not properly wired. I should be interested to hear from anyone who knows different.
Further I should like to know what might be the view of an insurance company if a serious claim is made. To say the UK system exceeds the BG legal requirements might take some proving or even be inadmissable I think. Especially given the, reportedly, somewhat doubtful honesty of some involved in the law in BG.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:11 am

It would be interesting to hear from Britsih electricians who wroked in Germany during the height of Thatcherism (Remember "Auff Wiedersehen, Pet") Hows did they cope with a different system, ie DIN.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Seedy
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Seedy » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:47 am

xt600 wrote:Your analogy is rather silly too, if I may say so. Anyone working in the Uk would obviously be expected to work to the required standard in the UK. However, they would not be lambasted for exceeding those standards!

And BTW, I've also fitted my woodburner according to the strict building regulations now present in the UK, I suppose this is folly to is it??.

What a load of tosh! The question of "exceeding UK standards" is both subjective and irrelevant. In case you haven't noticed (the language and alphabet MIGHT be a clue), Bulgaria isn't the UK; adhering to, or "exceeding", UK practice doesn't make an electrical installation in another country acceptable, let alone better. Following/exceeding the UK Building Regs in Bulgaria is all well and good insofar as they meet the required local standards but to ignore any local law because one decides that the locals are ignorant and undeveloped is unacceptably arrogant. Moreover, not to declare to your insurance company that your handiwork deliberately ignores local regulations is a breach of the terms of your policy and arguably fraud; it certainly constitutes good grounds for refusing any claims. I can't imagine why anyone would be so foolish as to behave in this way - if you want to show how clever you are, what's wrong with meeting and exceeding local good practice, for goodness' sake?

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
seathrift
Super User!
Super User!

Postby seathrift » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:51 am

Just as an afterthought, one subject I do know a little about is earth rods fitted in the UK. From my certain knowledge they are notoriously unreliable and many a UK electrician has used gallons of water in the ground to make them work satisfactorily for the test by the Clerk of Works.
In my case there does appear to be an Aluminium earth strap fitted to my system, presumably by a BG electrician. The positive wire is continuous throughout and all wiring is substantially oversized. All I had to do was to replace the old ceramic fuses with trip switches and insert a RCD switch, or does someone know different?

Return to “General Discussion”