'Spongy' Chicken

Discuss here anything that does not already have its own Forum.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
merrylegs

'Spongy' Chicken

Postby merrylegs » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:35 pm

I have just been reading about the comments on bread and wondered what others feel about chicken in BG. No matter how I cook it, stir fry, roast it seems to take forever for me to feel it is cooked through and browned. It seems to have a strange spongy texture. I am not buying it again. What do you all think. Merrylegs

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
spantrout
Super User!
Super User!

Postby spantrout » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:42 pm

Never had that problem, maybe it's your cooking :lol:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
AngloBulgarian

Postby AngloBulgarian » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:02 pm

Are you buying frozen chicken?? There is no limit to the amount of water they can inject over here so it bloats, crystallizes and denatures the meat. It is HORRID.

Also - im sorry to say - the fresh meet from our local shop (not produced locally!!) was Chinese steroid pumped crap and that was horrid. We now buy from Metro in the green packs and that is far better! Also Kaufland chicken is quite good (we think).

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Seedy
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Seedy » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:15 pm

We only eat pa-in-law's free-range chicken - and very nice it is too. Always remember that "the nearer the bone, the better the taste", when it comes to any kind of meat....except maybe brains. :wink:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
AngloBulgarian

Postby AngloBulgarian » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:25 pm

Seedy wrote:We only eat pa-in-law's free-range chicken - and very nice it is too. Always remember that "the nearer the bone, the better the taste", when it comes to any kind of meat....except maybe brains. :wink:

Where do you get that seedy - we have been looking for free range chic but with little success.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Seedy
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Seedy » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:40 pm

Sorry - my father-in-law isn't too keen on chicken rustlers! :lol:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
jinx57
<b>Property Finder</b>

Postby jinx57 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:26 pm

Seedy wrote:We only eat pa-in-law's free-range chicken ............. :wink:

free range stuff is great and the bones are rock hard which is why the Bulgarians feed them to the dogs - not like the UK mass produced factory chickens deprived of calcium in their diet who have weak bones which crack & splinter

there are now a few chicken 'factories' in Bulgaria, so best to get your chickens from a local who rears a few him/her self or to rear your own.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
owain
<b>Property Sales</B>

Postby owain » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:03 pm

You can't really beat a fresh home-grown chicken but most of the stuff you buy in the shops here is injected with water to bolster the weight. Even when you open the packet the fresh meat is falling apart from the amount of water thats in it. The texture of the chicken is lost because of this and it effects the cooking.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Charliechech
<b>Property Sales/Management</b>

Postby Charliechech » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:27 pm

Yes yes yes, horrible stuff!!!

We only buy Gradus (in the green packs, it was mentioned by someone earlier). Really good, we'v bought frozen too and just as good. Not found the legs by Gradus locally, only in the larger supermarkets.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Applejuice

soggy chicken

Postby Applejuice » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:32 am

owain wrote:You can't really beat a fresh home-grown chicken but most of the stuff you buy in the shops here is injected with water to bolster the weight. Even when you open the packet the fresh meat is falling apart from the amount of water thats in it. The texture of the chicken is lost because of this and it effects the cooking.

I was under the impression that EU rules either banned the use of water injection or it was limited as we had a big problem over this in the UK a few years ago.
Perhaps those of a legal mind could help here

Return to “General Discussion”