'Spongy' Chicken

Discuss here anything that does not already have its own Forum.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
VickyC
Super User!
Super User!

Postby VickyC » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:08 am

Eeeeeek!!!! made me think about rearing my own chickens now....but who will slaughter and pluck them as I couldn't do it???? I've watched our neighbour do so in her garden and its a stinky yuk job to do with all the plucking and blood and guts.

Anyway, who is to know what is in the bought chicken feed?

Anyone any input on Lidl's fresh chicken breast or whole fresh chicken, as I've found it to be good qulaity and thought with it being a German based company would have strict rules applied??? i may be wrong but any input welcome.

Vicky

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
spantrout
Super User!
Super User!

Postby spantrout » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:41 am

VickyC wrote"
Anyway, who is to know what is in the bought chicken feed?

Just make your own, buy corn and wheat, grind it up to a rough flour and feed the chicks

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Hippyboy
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Hippyboy » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:35 pm

Dunno about Lidl's fresh chicken , but I'd give it a try . Their smoked chicken legs are very tasty and have a good texture , great with a salad . Tim .

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
B52
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby B52 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:58 pm

We buy virtually all our meat from Lidl. We used to get it from CBA and occasionally do now but Lidl is more convenient. It is usually excellent and we quite often take advantage of their “30% off because the due date is approaching” and freeze it.

As far as the chicken is concerned, the breasts are invariably good. However, we’re not great fans of legs and wings anyway and it is true that the occasional whole chicken that we have never seems to cook thoroughly and “spongy” could apply (of course, it could be the stove or the chef).

ooi, I am sure that it is either Lidl or (when the shop used to be) Plus that had без вода on their chicken packaging (don't have any to hand at present).

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
AngloBulgarian

Postby AngloBulgarian » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:22 pm

Lidle are one of those companies (like Ikea) that tend to adopt there own centralized high standards across the whole operation. Id love to know what they are paying the checkout girls - in the UK they get £7.50 to £8.50 an hour, i know it will be lower here obviously but i bet its still a dam site higher than average BG wages!!!

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
silky4015

Postby silky4015 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:25 pm

Search for chicken food and you will find loads of different types. The organ food sellers will tell you, that you will get more eggs by feeding their food to chickens. This is untrue, as like the female of the human species, all hens are born with the eggs inside them. They start producing them about the 19th week of being born and depending on the breed; they will lay between 180 and 300 eggs a year. This drops off in the second and third year by about 10% each year. The odd hen or two will still lay eggs up to 5 years. Their normal life span is about 7 years.

The best food in the UK is layers pellets. Corn, wheat, vitamins etc are ground into a powder and then made into pellet. However, a chicken will get 30% of its food from eating grass if left to roam free.

If you want to know more about chickens then visit http://www.downthelane.net/forum/index. ... 20351c28ec

Myself I will eat any chicken cooked in any way as long as I do the cooking. I don’t eat chicken from you know who and their rival, the colonel.

If plucking a chicken takes to long, then cut the skin at the neck and roll it back and it will come off very easily. There is very little fat in a chicken and 97% of what fat there is, comes from the skin.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
AngloBulgarian

Postby AngloBulgarian » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:45 pm

Just in case anyone (who has never kept chickens) was wondering - chickens are incredibly rewarding to keep, especially the rare breeds. They have far more personality than you would ever imagine - HOWEVER this does make the dispatching for food a little tougher.

Our Bramer Cock was over 3ft tall and used to follow you round all day like a dog - his 3 females never laid a single dam egg in 18 months though!!

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
jinx57
<b>Property Finder</b>

Re: soggy chicken

Postby jinx57 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:48 pm

Applejuice wrote:
I was under the impression that EU rules either banned the use of water injection or it was limited ..............

EU rules - this is Bulgaria!
only in the EU because of it's strategic importance to secure the western Black Sea coast for NATO - precious little, if anything, to do wiht chickens!

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
noddy
Super User!
Super User!

'Spongy' Chicken

Postby noddy » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:56 pm

AngloBulgarian wrote:
Seedy wrote:We only eat pa-in-law's free-range chicken - and very nice it is too. Always remember that "the nearer the bone, the better the taste", when it comes to any kind of meat....except maybe brains. :wink:

Where do you get that seedy - we have been looking for free range chic but with little success.

i dont know for chickens but
there is plenty of free range ducks for sale

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
AngloBulgarian

Postby AngloBulgarian » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:25 pm

Ducks make the most horrible mess though! Like the eggs!

Return to “General Discussion”