Provadiya-ites, beware of wood deliveries

Discuss here anything that does not already have its own Forum.

Moderator: Moderator

Slaphead
Pig Headed

Provadiya-ites, beware of wood deliveries

Postby Slaphead » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:02 pm

We ordered 6 cubic of fire wood from the guy near Lidl in Prov. He's the one near the building wood supplier and he supplies wood cut to your size requirements at an advertised price of 60 lev/m3. (Plus delivery of course)
Anyway, he delivered our ordered 6m3 last Sunday, slap bang in the middle of a fishing match. Mrs Slaps paid him and off he went.
It turns out that he needed a beer after his marathon delivery job and he stopped for a cold one in the village center. The boss who speaks English is a Turk - just for information.
He engaged a n other Turk, from our village, in conversation and proceded to tell said village Turk that he'd just ripped the English off, again, and delivered only 4m3 and not the 6m3 as paid for by said numpty Englishman (i.e. me). He also bragged that he'd ripped off every Brit he'd supplied in the past.
Unfortunatley for the delivery Turk, he happened to speak to a friend of ours who has worked for us on and of for the last 2.5 years. Let's just say Tsanko, (our rabotnik) was not impressed with him and a bit of a punch up ensued.
I popped by the woodyard today to let him know where we stood. He was sheepish to say the least.
I'd suggest this particular person be avoided.

Slaps.

Joss
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Joss » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:28 pm

Did you get any money back slaps? I thought (or perhaps I should say hoped) this sort of thing had stopped but just last week I was in a local restaurant with a friend who has just moved here. We had the Bulgarian menu and she had the English one, and although the food prices were the same, the prices for a bottle of wine were 4 lv more on the English menu. :evil: Needless to say, I won't be going there again.

Slaphead
Pig Headed

Postby Slaphead » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:53 pm

[quote="Joss"]Did you get any money back slaps? I thought (or perhaps I should say hoped) this sort of thing had stopped but just last week I was in a local restaurant with a friend who has just moved here. We had the Bulgarian menu and she had the English one, and although the food prices were the same, the prices for a bottle of wine were 4 lv more on the English menu. :evil: Needless to say, I won't be going there again.[/quote]

Unfortunately no Joss, I didn't get anything back. Well, he'd hardly own up though would he?
I did let him know that I'd be informing those Brits who I know that live around here. Hopefully, he's lost business.
Your experience and mine should be made public especially to those who are likely to be affected. Name and shame is my motto. Hopefully it'll prevent further rip offs no matter how small.

varnagirl
Super User!
Super User!

Postby varnagirl » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:57 am

thanks for the warning slaps...hopefully he will loose some business now...at least from the brits
joss, which resturant was that ???

houseman
Super User!
Super User!

Postby houseman » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:45 am

It beats me how customers can readily tell how many cubics are being delivered, including Bulgarian ones. Seems to me it's like asking someone to estimate the weight of a pile of earth or stones. :roll:

varnagirl
Super User!
Super User!

Postby varnagirl » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:57 am

customers can do what i do ...have it stacked by them ..not expensive and saves breaking my back ...then measure it before one pays !!!

Norman-D-Beeches
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Norman-D-Beeches » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:18 pm

Ripping-off Brits is, as I'm sure we're all aware, a National pastime, and buying wood seems to be looked upon as 'Harvest time', for the dealers. I had a very similar experience to yours last year.

I tried to start a thread last year where people could write on here, a list of dealers to avoid, or, heaven forbid, where they had been treated fairly.

Unfortunately, though it was in English, and I did post twice, no-one seemed to understand what I'd said, and I had people telling me how they pay the mayor 5 leva, and go and cut their own trees, or how they watch every log loaded and unloaded from the lorry. Sometimes I wonder what some of the people on here are smoking.

Maybe your post could resurrect the idea. All that's needed is name and location, after all. So while I'm at it, if you're in Sliven, do NOT use the dealer on the top corner of the Onvor road. They are total robbers. Similarly, does anyone know of a GOOD dealer around Sliven?

seathrift
Super User!
Super User!

Postby seathrift » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:01 pm

I think most wood supplies are loaded first into a metal frame which is 1 cu.m. or in my case 1 tonne. So I stand and watch every last log being loaded into the frame and then into the lorry. I then follow the lorry back to my home and see it unloaded. Last year was the first time I had done this and I had noticeably more wood for the same tonnage ordered the year before. I suggest supervision of the entire process removes most of the possibilities for cheating.

B52
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby B52 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:25 pm

Houseman said….
It beats me how customers can readily tell how many cubics are being delivered, including Bulgarian ones. Seems to me it's like asking someone to estimate the weight of a pile of earth or stones.

Well, it depends how you receive the wood. If you are getting it in logs, as we usually do (and then cut and split it ourselves), it is a simple matter of measuring. The trucks are typically 2m wide (if we are being pedantic, the wood is probably 2 x 95-99 cm) and either 3.something m (for up to 8 cu m of wood) or 4.something m (for up to 10 cu m of wood) long bed.

We usually just measure outside length of bed and height of wood from the base (to give them the benefit of the doubt) and assume that there aren’t any large gaps or other materials hidden. Then it is just length x height x 2.

VickyC
Super User!
Super User!

Postby VickyC » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:51 pm

Thats bad if that particular yard are ripping off blatently. I just had 5 cubics delivered chopped to size I requested from the other wood yard as you turn in for the railway station (coming past Lidl its the turn on right marked train station) and its first right behing the small feed shop (but its visible from that road). I had 2 loads of 5 cubic from there last year and stacked the first 5 and then measured and it was right...so I then ordered another 5.

I will post how this 5 goes when I stack it as its easy to roughly measure it up. Bulgarians, hovever, swear that its better to get metre logs unchopped in a lorry as you get more....but surely a cubic is a cubic whether its in metre lengths in a lorry or chopped in a lorry??? Anyway, once stacked you can measure it roughly.....or am I missing somethinng?

The owner of the yard I used is called Rumen and I think is Bulgarian. If Ive been done I'll definitely name and shame and go in and kick up a fuss, but hopefully it will be like last year.

Vicky

Return to “General Discussion”