Dogs ???? any help welcome !

Discuss here anything that does not already have its own Forum.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
vixen11

Dogs ???? any help welcome !

Postby vixen11 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:10 pm

HI

i have a chihuahua at the moment and im thinking of relocating to bulgaria in the next few years, but im worried that i may not be able to take my beloved pet along with me :(

i was just wondering if anyone had any experience with relocating a dog ?

I'm worried about the heat but also the winter as he only a very dainty dog.

i also wanted to know what the vet care is like over there, as he has luxating patellas in both back legs, not serious now but may get worse with age

really confused as to what to do :?

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
tinkerbb2
Super User!
Super User!

relocating dogs

Postby tinkerbb2 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:40 pm

Hello Vixen, I would think you are going to be inundated with replies as many people have brought their pets over, I have friends who take them back and forwards to the u.k too.
We drove our 2 dogs over, took 5 days in the back of a van and they were fine, despite one of them being very nervous. We have found several very good vets in our area, who also speak English.
There is a Bulgarian breed ( I think) similar to a very small Pinscher, they all survive. As the houses are very efficiently heated, if you have your dog indoors there will be no problem.
Good luck, take the plunge.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Shep
<b>British/Speciality Food Supplier</b>

Postby Shep » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:51 pm

Hiya Vixen
i wouldn't worry too much about the little coochi......he'll be fine.We drove over and brought our two..........a border/lakeland terrier and our very tiny chinese crested. They were fantastic on the journey and in fact enjoyed it. She is now 16 y/o and still rules the roost ,and although blind in one eye and deaf as a post she still chases our cats (don't know what she'd do if she ever caught one) and can find a piece of tomato at ten paces. We have coats for her in winter but she doesn't stop out long and we put sun tan lotion on in summer...........Dogs are very clever and know when they've had enough sun. Do you know which area of Bulgaria you are going to yet ? There is tons of help and info on here.We've been out well over 3 years now so if you need any help please ask..
I hoe this helps
Shep (Denis)

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
leedarkwood
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby leedarkwood » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:03 pm

You might want to invest in a coat and little dog boots for winter but I have seen plenty of chihuahuas here. Our vet here is excellent and we love the fact that going to see him is not going to break the bank!

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
lyn
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby lyn » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:37 pm

Chihuahuas originate from Mexico so heat will be no problem. As Lee says, you can invest in some booties and a coat and he'll be fine. It will be warm indoors anyway. Dogs are a lot tougher than we give them credit for - especially the little ones!

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
millomgirl
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby millomgirl » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:05 pm

I have travelled backwards and forwards with my troop three times now and no problems. They loved the snow last winter and had a whale of a time charging around in the orchard. Vet services will vary depending on where you live. I used the vets in Veliko Turnovo and they were great. All spoke good English and were very good with my dogs.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Jakemakes3

Postby Jakemakes3 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:10 pm

Hi, we have 2 papillons and they love it here. Our older one also has luxating patellas and we don't worry as we have a good vet here should he need help. The younger one has to be clipped to help with the heat but otherwise no problems.

Return to “General Discussion”