Not Coming back - Thanks BSBB

Discuss here anything that does not already have its own Forum.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
scotsinkitka

Not Coming back - Thanks BSBB

Postby scotsinkitka » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:09 am

We bought a house 7 years ago and come over 4 times a year,every year.

I love Bulgaria, the people, the weather, the scenery the culture and especially being able to sit out at night and do nothing. I have tried to put as much into the country as possible and watch it develop.

Throughout that time we have had 3 lots of renovation/work instructed and the 3 have turned out to be the usual Brit builders with big promises, but little skill or integrity, where the work is normally so bad that you need to instruct another builder to repair the previous builder's work and so the chain continues. One exception was Rich at Varnaexpats who had to return home due to family issues.

After the latest very expensive fiasco, my wife has decided it's no longer worth the bother as there appears to be no trustworthy 'builders' out there and I agree. We are heading to the estate agents tomorrow to sell the house. Fortunately we have no mortgage or borrowings against it, so time is not an issue.

On that note, well done Kevin Owen and your band of merry men. I hope you all sleep well at night.

M & J

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
booboo
Super User!
Super User!

Re: Not Coming back - Thanks BSBB

Postby booboo » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:39 am

scotsinkitka wrote:We bought a house 7 years ago and come over 4 times a year,every year.

I love Bulgaria, the people, the weather, the scenery the culture and especially being able to sit out at night and do nothing. I have tried to put as much into the country as possible and watch it develop.

Throughout that time we have had 3 lots of renovation/work instructed and the 3 have turned out to be the usual Brit builders with big promises, but little skill or integrity, where the work is normally so bad that you need to instruct another builder to repair the previous builder's work and so the chain continues. One exception was Rich at Varnaexpats who had to return home due to family issues.

After the latest very expensive fiasco, my wife has decided it's no longer worth the bother as there appears to be no trustworthy 'builders' out there and I agree. We are heading to the estate agents tomorrow to sell the house. Fortunately we have no mortgage or borrowings against it, so time is not an issue.

On that note, well done Kevin Owen and your band of merry men. I hope you all sleep well at night.

M & J

Didn't we already have a thread about BSBB locked by the mod and started by you?

WHY would you employ British builders is beyond me, you perhaps should have asked around and then you would have found that brits rip brits off way more than the Bulgarians do.

AND finally, with that in mind are you using a brit estate agent or Bulgarian?

Of course unless you are offering a bargain I guarantee you will not sell and who would want to buy your 'badly' repaired house anyway.

Just observations and opinion

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
B52
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby B52 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:53 am

Just saw booboo's post before submitting this. Don't you just love people who are as rude as hell and then add "Just observations and opinion" as if that redeems them.

I found reference to another post of yours re. this person on MyBG but following the link it said the post was not available. Anyway, I think booboo has provided the answer.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
booboo
Super User!
Super User!

Postby booboo » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:37 am

You are grumpy aren't you. Just an observation and opinion :P :P :roll:

Rude? hmmm perhaps the truth is a hard pill to swallow.

And yes the previous post was locked by the mod, I believe because there were no foundations for the allegations. BUT of course that doesn't make the OP rude to the builder now does it...doh!

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
scotsinkitka

Bsbb

Postby scotsinkitka » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:19 am

From the pm's ive received, it appears the allegations are not without foundation or history.

I'll be posting pics anyway, just in case you're interested.

As for the locked/deleted post. Saturday Kevin advised to submit bank info for refund, its now Tuesday and no reply! I guess he's busy packing.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Seedy
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Seedy » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:54 am

Let's just hope he hasn't sold your bank details on the internet..... 8O

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
millomgirl
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby millomgirl » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:13 pm

It's a real shame that these people have won, as the only real loser is you, in quitting BG and the house that you obviously loved and wanted to spend more time in. I don't know what area you are in, but I had the same problems. Two houses and two crap builders later, I finally found a good Bulgarian company, with builders/renovators who I would be happy to recommend to anybody. I certainly know that sinking feeling when 'builders' have been let loose in your house and done an expensive bodge job. So sorry to read this. I don't know the builders or anyone concerned with them, but it is just sad to read of yet another rip-off.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Hippyboy
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Hippyboy » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:54 pm

To be honest there's probably loads more lousy builders than good ones in any country ; regardless of where the builders are from , I've personally seen awful 'work' in lots of different countries .This doesn't make it any better , but at least it means that you are not alone . As pointed out , its really NOT a good time to be trying to sell , so if you really do like Bulgaria maybe it would be a good idea to give it another try , despite your bad experiences with 'builders' . Tim .

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
BG9374

Postby BG9374 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:26 pm

Those folk been burned by builders then only agree stage payments and work in stages. Builder is good they know shall keep the entire job and be no problems. Builder be a scammer they come up with excuses and walk away.

Divide the house into contracts and always offer work more than one builder. Takes some planning but hey if don't do the paper work, expect a shambles.
:roll:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
fred
Super User!
Super User!

Postby fred » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:50 pm

Hi scotsinkitka

Sorry to hear this. We, like you, only use our place for holidays but boy do we enjoy those holidays. It would break my heart to have to give up on it. It's easy for folk to say you should have done this and you should have done that, dum luck plays a part in all things.

We have had a Bulgarian friend manage all our renovation work and we have done it bit by bit, so we never commited much money all at once. Most of the work has gone really well only one major cock up and it was a cock up not a rip off, feels better me thinks.

Good luck if you reconsider and good luck if you don't.

Cheers Fred.

Return to “General Discussion”