Reducing EVN charges

Discuss here anything that does not already have its own Forum.

Moderator: Moderator

rgawith
Super User!
Super User!

Reducing EVN charges

Postby rgawith » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:22 am

As of the 1st July 2011 EVN introduced a standing charge for access to electric of commercial customers. If your company owns your house and your electric account is in your company name you are classed as a commercial customer.

There seems no way around this. Other providers such as EON (VT way) allow a notary signed declaration that the company is allowing private people to rent/use the house and so no charges. EVN refuse to allow this stating it is illegal.

The charges are based on the wattage available to that property per day. So for example if you have 15kw going to the house then for a month the charge is:

15 x 30 (days) x 0.015 (standard charge) = 6.75 PLUS VAT per month.

You can complete a declaration available on the EVN website to print off to reduce your wattage to 6KW. Then your monthly charges would be 2.7 PLUS VAT per month.

BUT.....if you use over 6kw in two consecutive months you MUST apply for it to be increased to 15KW again. THIS INCURS A 400 lev fee or more.

If you are not using electric at a property you can have the contract stopped and the electric disconnected i.e. wires taken off, not just turned off at electric board. You have to pay 34 levs for this. BUT if you want electric in the future it is around 450 levs to reconnect.

My query now....I left my main house with 15kw for now, although this means 8 levs a month standing charge. We have the usual - dishwasher, washing machine, electric boilers, kettle, TV etc.....although usually only say dishwasher on at night once every 2 or 3 nights as have night and day electric, same with washing machine.....would we be ok with 6KW? Realise that if we maybe try and boil kettle while watching TV and have the dishwasher going, or over on or electric boiler....might trip.....

But does tripping mean that EVN know we have tried to use too much and would push us over the 6KW limit? Or would it just mean we keep having to flick fuses and they would be non the wiser??????
Last edited by rgawith on Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

booboo
Super User!
Super User!

Postby booboo » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:09 am

First of all that is very interesting information. Something 90% of expats are not going to be able to avoid I would think. It obviously depends on your average electric bill, but an extra 8 lev aint the end of the world IMO based on mine.

However I would think you would NOT get tripped out at over 6kw (which for a modern house is not impossible to peak over that by any means) but EVN will know you exceeded it and that will be one mark against you. If that happens again the next month you've blown it, it would seem (no pun intended), presumably facing the 400lv fee. I'm making many assumptions here, but that seems the most logical in my crazy brain

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Seedy
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Seedy » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:13 am

It's the principle that's at stake here - not to mention that 8 leva a month multiplied by the number of foreign-owned properties comes to a whopping rip-off profit for the electricity companies that even Boyko has lambasted in the past.

Time to kick them into action, methinks http://ecc.kzp.bg/index.php?mode=viewd&group_id=42&document_id=152 :wink:

booboo
Super User!
Super User!

Postby booboo » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:18 am

Seedy wrote:It's the principle that's at stake here - not to mention that 8 leva a month multiplied by the number of foreign-owned properties comes to a whopping rip-off profit for the electricity companies that even Boyko has lambasted in the past.

Time to kick them into action, methinks http://ecc.kzp.bg/index.php?mode=viewd&group_id=42&document_id=152 :wink:

I get your point, but there is isn't really a principal is there? Your company owns your property, therefore it is perfectly reasonable/logical and legal to class it as an asset of the company and therefore a commercial holding. Whether it is residentially registered or not the company still owns it.

And remember we formed companies in order to get around Bulgaria's law that foreigners may not own land. Rightly or wrongly something they were allowed to enforce, and maintain for a prolonged period.

It was (amongst other reasons) to protect Bulgaria from being bought up by foreigners. (I know there many other reasons to be fair). If we are prepared to break the law (or lets say use a loophole to our advantage by opening zero performing companies) then we have to accept that we cannot be classed as owning a property in the same way a Bulgarian citizen does.

Seedy
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Seedy » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:33 am

That's a very bizarre way of looking at it, Booboo. The reason foreigners form companies to buy land/houses is because the Bulgarian government forces them to - at least for the time being. The principle is that, having been forced to form these non-trading companies in the first place - and incurring both one-off and recurring charges to do so - we are then discriminated against by the electricity companies. Regardless of who owns the property, a house is a domestic property in which no commercial activity is carried out. To charge a commercial tariff for domestic premises is manifestly unfair and almost certainly discriminatory.

Does that explain the situation clearly enough for you? :wink:

rgawith
Super User!
Super User!

Costs

Postby rgawith » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:49 am

Quite agree Seedy. Also unfair is that other providers allow you to declare it is for private use and not have to pay the charges, EVN will not allow this.

At the moment I am trying to weigh up the costs of company dissolution next year with all corresponding house transfer fees versus yearly accountancy fees and higher EVN charges and higher municipality charges.

But at least hopefully anyone without large electric consumption can reduce their wattage and pay less now this has been brought to their attention. Think we will leave our main house for now as we do have a fair amount of electric appliances but the rental properties only have electric boilers and hob and fridge/lights etc and only people in them for the odd week here and there.

fishing-man

Postby fishing-man » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:55 am

have to agree seedy if your home is residential there should be no treating differently as its a form of discrimination. I sold my house last year and my EVN bill was in my personal name moved within the same village and now my bill is in company name. Rip off I was told i couldn't have the bill in my personal name and yet in my last property in the same village i clearly did.

Seedy
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Seedy » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:57 am

Rachel, you should be able to reduce the municipal charges to normal domestic rates.

When we registered our new ownership, the municipality tried to stiff us with the previous owner's rate - as a factory, would you believe! The previous Brit owner had just accepted it and paid up without question....:roll:

We told the clerk that we were going for a coffee to allow her time to re-think the situation; when we returned she was "delighted" to inform us that our charges had miraculously reduced from around 1,000 euros a year to 30 leva! :twisted:

Seedy
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Seedy » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:02 am

Given the number of foreign owners in Bulgaria, the electricity companies must be making literally millions of leva from these rip-off charges so it's hardly surprising they want to hang on to them - when you have a monopoly you want to milk it for everything you can.

More power to Boyko, who has tried to publicly shame them into behaving in Bulgaria the way they are forced to in their home countries. Let's hope he can spare a few minutes from building new roads to give them another kicking over this rip-off....

rgawith
Super User!
Super User!

low anyway

Postby rgawith » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:03 am

To be honest not something I had considered anyway as they are all fairly low - 20 levs per house for example, was just something my lawyer mentioned as another possible reason to dissolve company and transfer to personal name. Trying to get idea of pros and cons at the moment to see whether worth spending the money the process.

Return to “General Discussion”