Why are people LEAVING Bulgaria?

Discuss here anything that does not already have its own Forum.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Oscar
Mega User!
Mega User!

Re: Why are people leaving Bulgaria

Postby Oscar » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:46 pm

shebry wrote:Oscar
You are obviously a very happy bunny in your adopted country, and good for you
In your latest post on this topic you refer to:- quote, ....Bulgarians are trying to upsize ,that's why they are leaving..... but you have not mentioned the fact that there is a large exodus of ex-pats leaving and that is not necessarily back to your dreaded UK. Take Sokolovo (was known as little Britain), now practically deserted of ex-pats. I don't know where they have gone, but they have left Bulgaria

Why would I want to speak about/on behalf of people I know nothing about?...We keep getting reminded about what this thread is about,so where are they?,we are all waitimg to hear their stories,MIOP is waiting,so let's hear exactly what these people have to say.Apparently there are droves of them,so lets end all the speculation about this group and have some real stories.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
MOD
<b>Be Generous & Give MOD a Home</b>

Postby MOD » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:54 pm

Oscar wrote:[...We keep getting reminded about what this thread is about,so where are they?,we are all waitimg to hear their stories,MIOP is waiting,so let's hear exactly what these people have to say.Apparently there are droves of them,so lets end all the speculation about this group and have some real stories.

Hear hear! Not why the Bulgarians are leaving their own country, but why the foreigners who went to Bulgaria are now leaving it 'in droves'.

:wink: 8)

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
spantrout
Super User!
Super User!

Postby spantrout » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:00 pm

Is it not feasible that people who have left BG "in their droves" (which I would agree with) actually don't use this forum anymore?, hence why we haven't heard from any of them.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:09 pm

MOD wrote:
Oscar wrote:[...We keep getting reminded about what this thread is about,so where are they?,we are all waitimg to hear their stories,MIOP is waiting,so let's hear exactly what these people have to say.Apparently there are droves of them,so lets end all the speculation about this group and have some real stories.

Hear hear! Not why the Bulgarians are leaving their own country, but why the foreigners who went to Bulgaria are now leaving it 'in droves'.

With all respect Mr. MOD are you suggesting that Bulgarians are NOT 'People'?

I understand the gist of the thread, but it is entitled such so unless you amend it I/WE might continue to include all 'People' that leave Bulgaria especially if one or more Bulgarians pop up saying why they have left or why we are 'mad' to be in a village here. :wink:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
shazzy

Postby shazzy » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:13 pm

We love bulgaria and live in a village with wonderful scenery and fantastic people willing to help you no matter what ,we stay here 8 months of the year and have businesses in the uk ,we always look forward to returning after 4 months ,we still have our house in the uk ,we can live anywere abroad but chose bulgaria because we fell in love with the country and the people and have a better social life here than the uk.If people dont like bulgaria then p--ss off and let the people that do enjoy it i think these people are the type that would moan were ever they were.by the way i dont keep chickens ,goats or grow veg iam just able to live here and save money and have worked in the uk all my life and have never had any benefits off the state but are fed up paying out all the time.there are many things we dont like in bulgaria but just grin and bear it and get on with our lives as you are a long time dead.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
shebry
Super User!
Super User!

Postby shebry » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:14 pm

spantrout wrote:Is it not feasible that people who have left BG "in their droves" (which I would agree with) actually don't use this forum anymore?, hence why we haven't heard from any of them.

It's not on many ocassions that I agree with what you post, but this time I think you could be right, in fact I know of people who have left and I haven't seen any posting's on any forum from them since they arrived back in the UK

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
MOD
<b>Be Generous & Give MOD a Home</b>

Postby MOD » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:19 pm

Moscow_Wolf wrote:
MOD wrote:

I understand the gist of the thread, but it is entitled such so unless you amend it I/WE might continue to include all 'People' that leave Bulgaria especially if one or more Bulgarians pop up saying why they have left or why we are 'mad' to be in a village here. :wink:

Of course Bulgarians are people, but you only have to read the opening post, Mr Wolf, to know what the o/p was asking! :wink:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
B52
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby B52 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:23 pm

Oscar is right really. Forums, like life, are full of exaggeration. Whether to make a point, for effect or for numerous other reasons. Although we aren’t likely to get people that have left Bulgaria to voice an opinion here, as they possibly have no more interest in the country/forum it is equally true that we can’t speak on their behalf, unless we know the real reasons for them leaving.
Anyway, what is “leaving”?
“We flew in last night and have to leave tomorrow”,
“We had a few months to spare so we thought that we would have a long holiday, have a look at the place and see if it was for us”?
or, more than likely, “We sold up in the UK hoping to make a life of it here but having been here for x length of time, we’re leaving”?
There are almost 8.5k non-BG EU citizens resident in Bulgaria (at the last census) and for “leaving in droves” to be valid it would have to be a really large number. Are there really that many people that have settled here for any length of time and then decided to leave? I doubt it. And, probably, most of those have left for health reasons. Although, that could be an exaggeration.

MW said…

I think the implicit gist of the op does not include Bulgarians.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
spantrout
Super User!
Super User!

Postby spantrout » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:44 pm

I would suggest B52 that if 850 of those 8.5k you quote is anywhere near accurate, which i feel it may just be, then 10% of ex-pat population leaving could be classed as "droves" in such a short space of time.

And also B52, I would suggest the gist of the OP was directed at full time residents, not long holidayers or people here for 4 mths a year, or people looking at property, but people who live/lived here full time. That would be my understanding of the OP

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
lyn
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby lyn » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:49 pm

I don't think Bulgaria is special in the number of immigrants who leave again. If you look at the stats for NZ, Aus (30% leave within the 1st 5 years) you will probably find the same sort of numbers here. The grass isn't greener anywhere else and it isn't until some people try living somewhere else, that they that found out.

Return to “General Discussion”