Why are people LEAVING Bulgaria?

Discuss here anything that does not already have its own Forum.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:46 pm

banjo wrote:I ask myself what kind of people left the UK for a so called better life in BG . My own answer is people that lived in flats that wanted something better what an attraction to own a piece of land with a house nothing wrong in that you may say.

Second people that wanted to get away from the so called rat race in the UK nothing wrong in that you may say.

What went wrong is that life here is not what people were hoping it would be life is much harder in BG than in the UK so before anyone moves on a permanent basis check out living in BG for a short time first.

Its a mistake to sell up in the UK with nothing to go back to ie security.

So keep digging your garden watch your chickens grow while all the brits are moving away from BG do not try to get an insurance company to insure your property .

Welcome to the Bulgarian rat race that the brits have transported with them you could call it home from home with donkeys and no benifits.

The Varna man. 8) 8) 8)

I think BANJO is the wrong nickname and musical instrument, try MOUTH ORGAN. :lol:

I cannot agree with any of your comments really as they do not describe mine or probably quiet a few other Brits living here, but on the other-hand, perhaps that is why we are still here.

I still have not got a Donkey, but the BENEFITS of being here far out way any dole money I might collect back in Blighty.

I am assuming correctly or incorrectly that you are Bulgarian? If so or, even if you are not, do you have something against Brits living in Bulgaria or am I misreading something in your posts?

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
owain
<b>Property Sales</B>

Postby owain » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:12 pm

banjo wrote: My own answer is people that lived in flats that wanted something better what an attraction to own a piece of land with a house nothing wrong in that you may say.

I moved from a house with a piece of land in U.K. to an apartment in Bulgaria....I hate gardening :lol:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
B52
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby B52 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:20 pm

Hippyboy said…
Having sufficient income or savings , good health and a stable relationship would seem to greatly increase the chances of 'living the dream' if that's what it was , alternatively integrating , adapting and showing a bit of ingenuity and grit and determination when necessary can also work just as well ; so I guess that most of those leaving failed on at least one of the above .

…and Owain agred with him.

However, it is just a guess.

How about “my partner died and I couldn’t bear to stay here”. How about “my mother, back home in the UK, became ill and it required that she be looked after by us”. How about “we love the place but there are a thousand other things we want to do before we die”. How about “my father died and left us his home, we couldn’t resist”. How about “we used to see this nice little house for sale in Hungary on our trips back and forth and we decided it was just what we wanted”. How about “our kids in Australia wanted us to come live with them”. How about….

I don’t think that they failed on any of the above. Nothing necessarily went wrong. No one necessarily failed. It is like the guilt trip they throw on you for not having got your own lawyer, when buying here in the first place, and it all screwed up. Why does going back home mean you failed, any more than leaving the UK meant you failed to fit in there. God! We don’t even know how many have left. If I didn't read this forum, I wouldn't know any had left.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
owain
<b>Property Sales</B>

Postby owain » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:31 pm

B52 wrote:I don’t think that they failed on any of the above. Nothing necessarily went wrong. No one necessarily failed. It is like the guilt trip they throw on you for not having got your own lawyer, when buying here in the first place, and it all screwed up. Why does going back home mean you failed, any more than leaving the UK meant you failed to fit in there. God! We don’t even know how many have left. If I didn't read this forum, I wouldn't know any had left.

2 sensible answers on 1 page, that's good going for this post :lol:
Nice One B52 :wink:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Hippyboy
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Hippyboy » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:52 pm

B52 , you'll notice in the passage you quoted from me that I used the word "most" , ie : not meaning all , and therefore not excluding any of the other options that you mention . Also It seems that a lot of people ran out of money , and some had 'failing' health , others 'failed' to integrate and learn the language or found it difficult to adapt to the Bulgarian way of life and beaurocracy , and others had relationship breakdowns . Obviously this doesn't cover all of the reasons why people are leaving Bulgaria , but it does cover a fair proportion , and if they were unfortunate or careless enough not to have them all covered then I'm sorry , they failed . Tim .

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
MOD
<b>Be Generous & Give MOD a Home</b>

Postby MOD » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:57 pm

Hippyboy wrote:...if they were unfortunate or careless enough not to have them all covered then I'm sorry , they failed . Tim .

Maybe the important thing isn't that 'they failed' but they gave it a go in the first place and found that, for whatever reason, Bulgaria wasn't for them!

8)

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Hippyboy
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Hippyboy » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:32 pm

MOD , we use the expression 'failing health' , this isn't a personal slight , but at the end of the day it does mean something failed ; in this case our bodies , which unfortunately as we get on they have a tendency of doing . Failing to learn the language can make integrating and dealing with beaurocracy difficult , and the failure of a relationship (although it can happen anywhere) if it happens in Bulgaria often leads to the partners packing their bags and heading home . People seem to very sensitive about the word failure , perhaps understandably , but maybe they need to face up to reality . Tim .

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
dodger2201
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby dodger2201 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:30 am

i agree with a lot of the reasons people have posted on here eg loss of health but i know of a good amount of people who have left is because they did not do there homework on bulgaria and thought with £20,000 in there pocket they could live here most of these people were well below retirement age and were relying on doing building work for other expats and then the recession hit i personally first came to bulgaria on holiday in 1983 and came back nearly every year then bought a property in 2004 then retired here in late 2007 at the age of 58 with my wife we new by then the good and bad about bulgaria the good far out-ways the bad .so i say to anyone thinking of moving here do your homework first and then decide and you will not be disappointed and end up leaving.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Norman-D-Beeches
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Norman-D-Beeches » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:30 am

I am usually in agreement with you, Hippy Boy, but in this instance, I find myself at odds with some of your comments.

If we were to believe the posts made by many contributors here, then they must be prophets, and able to see into the future.

How can those who have been forced to return to the UK, presumably those incapable of reading the tea-leaves, be judged and condemned as failures who are responsible for the sorry position in which they have found themselves.

We've been here for five years now and, despite the frustrations, still love Bulgaria. However, I never foresaw the heart attack or the disintegration of my right hip joint. And I think I was not alone in failing to anticipate the current recession which is damaging people's lives around the planet. OK, so we have been able to tighten our belts somewhat, and still enjoy a good life, but losing around 30% of our income has certainly made a difference.

I know people who returned to the UK: some of whom simply didn't like the life here. That seems reasonable to me. On the other hand, there are those who are simply unable to stretch their depleated incomes far enough to make ends meet, and have been devastated to have to leave BG.

Maybe less judgement of others, and a little more understanding and compassion are called for here.

Norman D.
8)

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
houseman
Super User!
Super User!

Postby houseman » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:58 pm

Hippyboy wrote:others had relationship breakdowns . Obviously this doesn't cover all of the reasons why people are leaving Bulgaria , but it does cover a fair proportion , and if they were unfortunate or careless enough not to have them all covered then I'm sorry , they failed . Tim .

Perhaps you could enlighten us all as to how to "cover" yourself against the breakdown of a relationship. This would be a good thing for anyone to know about, anywhere. :?

Norman D - I agree entirely, in spite of being a big advocate of the "do your homework and try it out first" approach. :) :smt038

Return to “General Discussion”