Why are people LEAVING Bulgaria?

Discuss here anything that does not already have its own Forum.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
booboo
Super User!
Super User!

Postby booboo » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:43 am

Cheers Tim, it was rather vague wasn't it, while managing to be a put down IMO.

Norman D, that had occurred to me however that would be a new thread, which could you start if you so wish.

The question here was pretty simple. I don't think anyone, intentionally inferred that leaving Bulgaria was/is a failure. Though some people have certainly contributed to their own downfall, and usually that would be financial reasons (I mean those who you could say failed - as opposed to a change of heart/mind or health or the numerous other reasons).

On the whole it is circumstances beyond normal control (though smoking 40 extra cigs a day because they are cheap or drinking all your money away in Vodka (and then taking on dogs - though that is also another thread) and generally damaging your health by stupidity don't help of course - and are done here because it's cheaper).

Keeping the reasons secret defy logic to me, or at least posting on a topic about reasons people are leaving Bulgaria and then just stating 'same reasons as us' without stating the reason defies logic.

I know everyone will have their own ideas and reasons, but this topic could have been about 3 pages long, and many of the reasons would have already have started being repeated.

Looks like I've been dragged into the same pointless posting as some now.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
siddy
Super User!
Super User!

why are people leaving bg

Postby siddy » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:45 am

Hi boo boo. I left for all the reasons that people complain about on this site.
But Walkage put it in a nut shell for me, thank you :) BG is just too basic for me; and i just don't do basic.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
owain
<b>Property Sales</B>

Postby owain » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:53 am

walkage wrote:Siddy - well your friends obviously have money so maybe Bg was too basic for them..however luckly they have a mobile home so the Spanish authorities can't demolish their home. :D
Happy here in Bg potholes and all....

You say that as if Bulgarian authorities don't demolish peoples homes???

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Oscar
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Oscar » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:01 am

walkage wrote:Siddy - well your friends obviously have money so maybe Bg was too basic for them..however luckly they have a mobile home so the Spanish authorities can't demolish their home. :D
Happy here in Bg potholes and all....

Yes.looks like a few people missed the dozens of posts on the theme of'Bulgaria is 50 years behind the rest of Europe...that's why we like it'.
Bulgaria is good for people who have a bit of imagination and individuality,that's how something basic broadens out into a whole new satisfying lifestyle.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:29 am

Its basic living, freedom to roam, no rules and regs....That make BG such a special place and a gem in the current EU regime of rules, regulations, and police states.

There is no place like BG and long may it last before the PC & Eurocracy brigade kicks in.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Norman-D-Beeches
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Norman-D-Beeches » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:13 am

I'll second that.

NDB.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
SheilaP

Why are people staying in Bulgaria?

Postby SheilaP » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:06 pm

So to change this thread slightly. Why do people actually move to and choose to stay in Bulgaria? A few reasons come to mind:

1. Greater personal freedom
2. Healthy homegrown food,
3. Better standard of living, for (expats at least!)
4. Open, friendly, genuine people.
5. Better climate
6. Interesting and novel cultural differences, i.e the language and the absence of a saturday night binge drinking culture to name two
7. Proximity to other interesting countries - Greece, Turkey, Romania etc
8. Right to roam in wide open spaces - none of that: ''get off my land mentality'' so common in the UK
9. Empty straight roads
10. Interesting and varied wildlife and landscape.

There are probably hundreds of other reasons too but the climate, the people and the sense of freedom are some of the things I like about Bulgaria

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
rainbowwarrior
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby rainbowwarrior » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:12 pm

the type of ppl coming to live in BG in recent years has really changed. I dont think it will be a bad thing if some of them go back to UK.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:20 pm

rainbowwarrior wrote:the type of ppl coming to live in BG in recent years has really changed. I dont think it will be a bad thing if some of them go back to UK.

Now I have to ask. What type of people are you talking about ?

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
owain
<b>Property Sales</B>

Re: Why are people staying in Bulgaria?

Postby owain » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:03 pm

SheilaP wrote:So to change this thread slightly. Why do people actually move to and choose to stay in Bulgaria?

There's plenty of posts on that subject so why not post there instead :roll:
This thread is doomed to the Soap Box, I think the original question has been lost to the 'Bulgaria Defenders', not many that have left would dare posting here now incase the defenders of this Blot on Europe jump on them :lol:

Most came here because it was cheap & cheerful, nothing to do with the many poetic and imaginary answers that have been posted. There's no where else in Europe you can live comfortably on 5K a year.

But you get what you pay for. Many people think Bulgaria is nothing more than a dirty,poor, uncivilized,backwater Country filled with poverty stricken citizens,Gypsies & criminals. Others can live with that and enjoy the advantages, others can't, so what?

Bulgaria's the poorest Country in Europe, it's a dump.
It's not really surprising that many have left to return to good roads/drivers, 24/7 water & electric, consumer rights, social support, insulated/dry homes, the health service (not free but far cheaper than here).... The list for leaving is just as long as the 'Bulgaria Defenders' list for staying.

Even many Bulgarians wonder why foreigners actually choose to live in this Country, they really don't get it.
Bulgaria is only a better Country for some people, it isn't better for the average Bulgarian who struggles to survive in the much harder Bulgarian 'Rat Race' and it isn't better for many ex-pats. Defending Bulgaria by saying it's better than the rest of Europe and criticising those who have left is ludicrous.
Many people prefer a more organised, modern way of life and many of us can live with life that's rough around the edges. Many came here,gave it a try and didn't like it so went home or somewhere else.Neither of us is better than the other, we're just different. :wink:

Return to “General Discussion”