Why are people LEAVING Bulgaria?

Discuss here anything that does not already have its own Forum.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
stewarty
drunken lout

Postby stewarty » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:58 pm

Quote:
Hi,

Many people are selling up in bulgaria around the black sea due to the cost of flights, the short season, the state of the uk at this time, people can not afford to run two places, many have gone from st vlas area, its a shame as its i very nice place, it would be nice to get the low cost airlines into varna and bourgas but they have told me that the above are issues for them, both these airports were due to be up-graded but due to people taking the money the eu pulled back the money less the loses, another issue `fiddles` as it could make a lot of money and create jobs for there people.

What a load of B******t

Stewarty

Stewarty FAILED to say why ?

or drunk per name

I stand by my statement! People who LIVE in BG are not going to leave because of any flight issue`s!

stewarty

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
parkersd
Super User!
Super User!

Postby parkersd » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:17 pm

Hippyboy wrote:You're probably right booboo , but personally I don't find going into town that big a deal . I live in a 2/3 bar/shop village , and for sure sometimes I want a bit more action , so I go out on the town , simples ! Maybe the answer is , if you choose to live in a village , make sure that its not too far away from a town with some nightlife , and that you can afford the taxi fare back home . Tim .

We live in a village with no bars, one of the very few I am sure in Bulgaria...and there is no chance of a taxi home as, in the local town, they stop at 6pm!!!! We do, however, have a shop which sells beer,with a bench outside which seems to suffice the locals...and us occasionally.

Bulgaria, for some people, may not have been the dream they thought it was going to be. Speaking for myself I thought I was a 'townie' but now live 'in the middle of nowhere' ostensibly....but I love it and can't imagine ever, ever going back to the rat race of the Uk. I do, however, understand why people may go back as I miss my children/grandchildren desperately, thank goodness for Skype :D
Good luck to any who are going back.
Sue

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Hippyboy
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Hippyboy » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:17 pm

Sure , if you live in Bulgaria then flight prices aren't much of an issue . Maybe you take a flight back every year or two , usually off-season , no big deal ; I saw Sofia-Luton the other day for £30 one-way ! i usually go back once a year to visit family and friends , sometimes twice , but even at really short notice I've never paid more than £120 one-way , so I fail to see how this could be a reason for people leaving Bulgaria . Tim .

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
sealman

Postby sealman » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:18 am

Try £240 one way from Plovdiv to Stansted in June this year,that is a good reason to be a bit cheesed off with it....

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
mememe
Super User!
Super User!

Postby mememe » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:41 am

I sympathise, sealman - but maybe next year might be better? I've just found flights for 2-weeks random-date travel next June, London LGW-Sofia return for GBP 76, plus of course, a bus fare and some extra travelling time.

Definitely NOT as convenient, admittedly, especially if you are travelling with a young family or have a disability, for example - but if you want to do it on the cheap, then that is the way to go and it certainly won't be as easy.

I'm not in any way suggesting lack of thought on your part as, of course, no one can ever foresee the future actions and pricing policy of airlines with any degree of accuracy.

But that was certainly one of the aspects that I considered and as a result I finally decided to buy property in and near Sofia, with good transport infrastructure between them.

That said, I am usually travelling between Russia and Sofia and thankfully flight prices are now (if I search carefully and book some time in advance) generally good value-for money IMHO, (about GBP 200 rtn). But it hasn't always been that way and still isn't, sometimes....

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Seedy
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Seedy » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:57 am

Maybe I'm missing some subtle point here but surely if the cost of flights elsewhere is a cause of someone "leaving" Bulgaria, they weren't really here anyway? :roll:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
pollypepper

Why are people LEAVING Bulgaria?

Postby pollypepper » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:05 am

I think people leave a country for a lot of personal reasons.
Im so glad I never went back when I wanted to a few years back and hung in and over came the problems.
I also think a lot of folk came over around the same time and its now time to go back for their own reasons.
Will we get a clear answer of why people come and go to other countries
No I do not think we will.
When Im not ever sure why I came to Bulgaria would I have any clear idea if I wanted to go back.
It was a good idea at the time

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
mememe
Super User!
Super User!

Postby mememe » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:13 am

As I'm sure you have appreciated, Seedy - it could be the links-with-home aspect of being easily and cheaply able to pop home to see the folks now and again, or maybe having to in case of family emergency.

It could also be a case of those who aren't full-timers finding it increasingly expensive to go back-and-forth and they are thus are metaphorically 'leaving' Bulgaria, in that they visit any property they may have in BG less frequently - or even not at all.

They might also consequently abandon any thoughts of a future permanent move to BG - 'leaving' before they have even permanently arrived, in fact, (although I understand that was not the intention of the original thread).

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Hippyboy
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Hippyboy » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:22 pm

Quite right mememe , being able to pop back to visit family or friends from time to time is important for many people . Personally I've found the flights fairly reasonable , but the I've never wanted to fly during high season . However , I guess that the price of flights may have influenced some people to leave Bulgaria , particularly if their friends/family were discouraged from coming over to visit them because of the costs involved . Tim .

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
qwerty
Super User!
Super User!

Postby qwerty » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:50 pm

Sorry guys, I just cant accept the price of a plane ticket as being a/the reason for leaving Bulgaria.

I try not to fly, I drive to Blighty and back once a year, I dont even know what a plane ticket costs, so I'll guess 200 quid???.....If 200 quid or even 250 is make or break for someone (I mean this really,really nicely) then they shouldnt really be living abroad in the first place.

Return to “General Discussion”