Why are people LEAVING Bulgaria?

Discuss here anything that does not already have its own Forum.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:01 pm

Miop, you have got it bad, and a lot of things you say I am sure that many Brits can associate with. Despite price rises in BG I would say that the cost of living is far far below that of the Uk (And Spain, don't go there). As long as you have money to come with and can scratch a lifestyle it sounds like it would suit you fine....Put simply, most expats leave because they have run out of money and have no way of getting an income, something you really need to take into account.

As for finding somewhere to live, you CAN still pick up a liveable (but knackered) house for a couple of grand, but if you shop around there are fully renovated ones for circa €10k, so nothing to spend thereafter.

As for your kids at Uni, and not wishing to tell you, or them , to suck eggs. Ensure they do a degree that will guarentee them work in a high paid industry thereafter, and also more opportunity to travel to places like Oz or the US. As far as I can see anyone who does a "useless" degree for getting a degrees sake, or avoiding the real world, deserves the low chances of getting a job thereafter anyway.

PS: Tell them to also learn Russian or Chinese, they will be the business capitals of the future.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Oscar
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Oscar » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:23 pm

Miop wrote:@Spiralbg

We live in a dump, we earn lousy money which is not enough, have no prospects of careers or better money or a better life. We are just working class people in a country with less and less work and more and more people. The pressure is really becoming quite enormous. I suppose I can see why a middle-class, middle-income person might become disillusioned in BG if they thought they were getting a green version of Spain, but they would actually be giving something up to come there. The only thing we would be leaving behind is our grown-up children, but I don't think they will be far behind. The reality of life in Britain, i.e. that even with a degree, you will more than likely end up picking litter for dole, is sinking in. Neither of my older children are high-flyers, and their £50k degrees if they go for them, are unlikely to ever provide a living wage.

This is exactly why Bulgaria will become more of an option for people all over Europe in the next decade,unless a magic bullet suddenly appears for the basket cases around European economies,but Bulgaria isn't just 'somewhere,anywhere' as long as we are not where we are now.You need to buy into the whole experience of life in Bulgaria,and go about it in the right way from the start,meet the right people who can set you up with home and land that is not going to get you ripped off etc.It's no good taking the good bits of Bulgaria and constantly complaining about the bad bits like so many on here do...you buy into EVERYTHING.

Personally,I would think long and hard about coming here in your situation,I understand what you are saying,but you seem to be coming here just to escape,coming to Bulgaria means you have to be prepared for a whole lot more thasn that.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Miop
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby Miop » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:31 pm

@Mat

Allotments are being sold off for development so there are waiting lists, but theft from allotments is so common now I wouldn't want to go to the effort of growing anything on one, let alone keeping chickens! Neither of us have ever claimed dole or asked for charity, so we wouldn't want to do that - we would rather try our luck elsewhere. I used to grow veg so I think I could manage, and I can do quite a lot of DIY (plastering, brickwork, decorating etc), so I'm not worried by that. I just can't do anything up high, so roof-work is out!
Our house would rent out at the drop of a hat, so we would have a net rental income of about £350 a month (tax free presumably, if we had no other income in Britain), and we have a small pension of £100 a month. I hope that would be enough for now, but I'm thinking of doing a TEFL course.

@BrianJ42

One of my children is doing IT and the other biomedical science. They think this will be enough but I know IT grads and biomedical people who are doing cleaning jobs because they can't find anything! But you can't tell them...

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Miop
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby Miop » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:41 pm

@Oscar

Well I've been thinking about it for four years (and been reading this forum for three) - I've read almost all the messages here in that time! I am aware of what is good and what is bad (assuming most issues have been discussed here), and where I once felt apprehensive, I feel more excited now, so I guess that's a good sign! Bulgaria is a beautiful country with space, which is something you feel less and less being here in Britain in certain places. It's not really a case of anywhere but Britain, more of a case that BG offers what we need - land and a lower cost of living (at the moment). I have always been a person who likes to get close to the earth and live basically and just appreciate nature and life - I'm vaguely worried that my husband will be the one to go stir crazy, though he's ok if he's kept busy, but we will be keeping the house here in GB, so we could come back if we had to. He is quite social and talks to anybody (including our Polish neighbours who speak little English), so I think he'll be ok, and it will be of benefit to them to not understand a lot of what he is saying. :)

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:47 pm

AS the song says, "Its all about the money".

In the Uk, if you run out, you have systems to fall back on. In BG, you run out it can be a very very lonely place.

I always recommend to newbies, especially those on a low budget....Leave a nest egg somewhere for a "Get Out" plan just in case.

I'm not suggesting it will happen but if you have been watching MYBG for a few year,s you will have read about many a financial casualty in desperate straits over the years.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
spantrout
Super User!
Super User!

Postby spantrout » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:19 pm

seems to me the people that have left never knew what they were getting themselves into, outwith speculation on the property prices.

just look at the number of uk expats here involved with property management/REA's/bars or UK food imports, is that it??? Is that your plan? That market only really exists if there are other expats, when that dries up then what?, oh we never thought of that!

A serious amount of people i know have been involved in the expat market, not really a sustainable plan for a foreign country unless you are absolutely sure it's going to happen, which obviously it hasn't, so what then?

seems to me most of the people here left because they had no knowledge of how difficult life can be here at times, they saw it as a cheap place to retire/live, and the thinking was we'll be dead before we have to worry about it, how wrong they were!!!!!

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
jinx57
<b>Property Finder</b>

Postby jinx57 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:34 pm

seedy says:

I'd say that people are leaving because they're no-hopers who came here with little or no idea of what they were doing, except moving somewhere where they could buy dirt-cheap property and live "cheaply" by sponging off their neighbours, bickering among themselves and living up to the stereotype of the Whinging Pom

ooooh - loathe as I am to agree with such non PC sentiment, guess Seedy has a point but know this doesn't apply to many who have shared their circumstances here - ill health, death of spouse, missing UK family, etc etc

edited once to correct spelling so as not to offend

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
qwerty
Super User!
Super User!

Postby qwerty » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:00 pm

Why are people leaving Bulgaria?

No money, pure and simple...Ex-pats of Spain,France,Portugal and Bulgaria who made their livings and earned their incomes from other Brits by whatever service they offered are the first casualties of a Global slump.

Ex-pats that are leaving Greece and Turkey have other issues to contend with also, but that's another subject!!

Brits are by far the largest buyers of overseas properties for Decades, Centuries ago we just planted a flag and took it :lol: Until the UK economy recovers there will be no recovery in any sector to do with "Brits abroad."

If you are self financing (Pensions/savings etc) then nothing much has changed because you never depended on the steady stream of new Brits or the rising prices of property/land.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
qwerty
Super User!
Super User!

Postby qwerty » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:12 pm

To add further to my previous post, I would say that with the fall in property/land prices over the past couple of years that Bulgaria offers outstanding opportunities for those who want to get into the country life, or those who have fancied a small holding or large farms, or can afford to buy up distressed property sales and then sit back and wait.

If you have your own income at this time then Bulgaria is your Oyster at the moment!!

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
spantrout
Super User!
Super User!

Postby spantrout » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:48 pm

agreed! now the bubble has burst there are so many opportunities to buy up good property cheap if you have the cash/time, i'm living in mine so it don't matter to me, to me, it don't matter to me, I almost felt a song coming on there hahahaha

Return to “General Discussion”