Why are people LEAVING Bulgaria?

Discuss here anything that does not already have its own Forum.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Mat
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Mat » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:09 am

Amusingly, I have friends in Portugal offering landscape gardening and Reike massages...

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:10 am

To be honest, I have yet to read from anyone going back to the Uk that they actually really want to rather than have to. Most intimate or say that they really want to stay in BG but circumstances are such they have little choice.

BG offers a certain autonomy and freedom that I have never seen in most of Europe......Be it that the hassle factor can get to you at times and age you rapidly, there is something about BG that you miss greatly once you depart.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Simonita
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Simonita » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:15 am

OldHolborn wrote:until the droves of desperate English arriving in transit vans and opening fish and chip shops whilst trying to earn a living grooming each others dogs got too much.

:lol:

Seriously, a move to another country by anyone should be for positive reasons - you like the culture, countryside, food, space etc. If you are moving for negative reasons - to get away from circumstances and situations elsewhere it may be that you won't last the course. So says my brother, who went to NZ in 1975 and has never returned. On the other hand, what is wrong with relocating more than once?

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Senile-and-Blonde
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby Senile-and-Blonde » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:49 am

Hi, Having read this I feel Miop is right, my partner and I are leaving Uk for the simple fact that we will never be able to retire, as years of paying into the state pension system will get us nothing and at the age of 52 I've just been told I've another 24 years of contributions before I get a full pension ( stupid me listened and only paid married women's NI while bringing up children. We don't own our house and have no garden to grow things so rely on supermarkets in UK and both work 6 days a week just to exsist !!!!

We've had it with UK , children and grandchildren will visit and yes it will be hard getting land sorted, animals up and running but we will be doing it for ourselves and the sir quality and friendliness of villagers far out weighs anything in UK.

Have brought our house and over in BG at moment playing in snow!!!!! planning our move here in late 2012 :-)

Senile and Blonde

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
banjo
Super User!
Super User!

Postby banjo » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:33 pm

These posts aound like they could have come from all the Bulgarians that have left BG never to go back I guess the lifestyle the Brits want is no longer what a lot of Bulgarians have. But as they settle in the UK they realise that the cost of living is very high. Nurses and doctors are leaving BG for a better standard of living also a lot of the young boys and girls are leaving and do not want the harsh village life when I ask if they will return they say never. The reason they are leaving is because there is no real
future for them in BG OR ANYONE ELSE in the long term take a look at your neighbours in greece.

. 8) 8) 8) The Varna man

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Liliana

Postby Liliana » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:44 pm

banjo wrote:a lot of the young boys and girls are leaving and do not want the harsh village life when I ask if they will return they say never

That's because they're young, give them a few years and they'll be back no doubt.... :roll:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Oscar
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Oscar » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:49 pm

banjo wrote:
But in a few years time when the cost of living and wages go up in line with the rest of the EU as did spain and other countries I could mention then I have no doubt that more Brits will return to the UK and even less going out to BG. 8) 8) 8)

Yes,It's what keeps me awake at night,wondering when my 100 lev council tax is suddenly going to jump up to 2,500 lev,and if they are going to make me close my bin fully before they empty it after paying his much.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Oscar
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Oscar » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:56 pm

banjo wrote:These posts aound like they could have come from all the Bulgarians that have left BG never to go back I guess the lifestyle the Brits want is no longer what a lot of Bulgarians have. But as they settle in the UK they realise that the cost of living is very high. Nurses and doctors are leaving BG for a better standard of living also a lot of the young boys and girls are leaving and do not want the harsh village life when I ask if they will return they say never. The reason they are leaving is because there is no real
future for them in BG OR ANYONE ELSE in the long term take a look at your neighbours in greece.

. 8) 8) 8) The Varna man

Sure,and before they know it ,they are on the UK treadmill for the next 40-50 years,the treadmill that a lot of Brits who planned their move to Bulgaria correctly were only too happy to get off and retire to the good life,years ahead of their normal retirement date.Horses for courses,if the Bulgarians are happy with it,so be it,I think there's many Brits living full time in Bulgaria who know who got the best of the country swap.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:04 pm

Oscar wrote:
banjo wrote:
But in a few years time when the cost of living and wages go up in line with the rest of the EU as did spain and other countries I could mention then I have no doubt that more Brits will return to the UK and even less going out to BG. 8) 8) 8)

Yes,It's what keeps me awake at night,wondering when my 100 lev council tax is suddenly going to jump up to 2,500 lev,and if they are going to make me close my bin fully before they empty it after paying his much.

A 100 Lev Council tax and your own BIN emptied. 8O

Posh Git you are! :lol: Down in the 6 Lev per year Council Tax area of Bulgaria where I live, you carry your own rubbish to the communal wheelie down the end of the street, some folk don't even make it that far. :roll:

On a more serious note, I worry about Bulgaria catching up with the rest of Europe too; remember the CHEAP tobacco we used to enjoy as an example. Before long it will be no smoking in public places which might be a good things, but when we have to have a different dustbin for all kinds of recyclables emptied on differing days of the week, the end of village traditions, crap food to EU rules and so on. I like Bulgaria as it is, its not perfect, but I can manage with it.

Regarding the young, I don't want them in my village playing their loud music racing around on their mopeds but, they can come back when they're more mature and settle down IF only there was some rejuvenation programme to stimulate them to do so. I guess as in the UK of old when folk realise that the price of a city or town flat to that of a village house with land, folk might take the plunge, but there is a lot of snobbishness from Townies against village folk. (We smell and we're uneducated you know). :roll:

Moscow 'Miserable Git' Wolf. :wink:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
steph-dom

Postby steph-dom » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:15 pm

[quote="Miop"]Ah well. I guess I would be classed as one of the no-hopers. We rely on tax credits to survive, which we only get because we have children. We never used to rely on tax credits - we have to now, because he has not had an effective pay increase for twelve years. Already we cannot afford our energy bills, food is becoming more and more expensive, and I haven't driven for four years cos it costs too much. We can't afford our water, or council tax.

We only have a tiny budget compared to some, but we are prepared to rough-it and work hard to survive. I only want three things - dry building without cracks, some source of warmth, and internet access, though ideally there is a fourth consideration - enough bedrooms that my family can come out if the sh*t hits the fan in Britain.

WELL AFTER CUTTING OUT ALL THE CRAP YOU SAID & NARROWED IT DOWN TO A FEW KEY POINTS MENTIONED ABOVE ID SAY DONT EVEN WASTE YOUR MONEY ON FLIGHTS TO EVEN COME HERE.

1, YOU DONT GET TAX CREDITS UPON LEAVING THE UK, IF YOU DONT DECLARE IT THEN SOON AS THE BUBBLE BURSTS HERE AND IT WILL, YOU WILL HAVE TO REPAY THE LOT UPON YOUR RETURN.

2, ELECTRIC IS MORE EXPENSIVE HERE THAN THE UK, PETROL NOT FAR BEHIND,

3 THERE AINT ANY JOBS HERE FOR BRITS, ONLY WORK FOR YOURSELF IF AND WHEN YOU CAN FIND IT, EVEN IF YOU SPEAK BULGARIAN.

4, LARGE DRY HOUSE WITH NO CRACKS???? SAY NO bl**dy MORE!!!!!

5 FOOD PRICES HERE ARE RISING TOO! UNLESS YOU GROW YOUR OWN VEG, AND PLUCK YOUR OWN CHICKENS. MEAT HERE IS THE SAME PRICE AS THE UK BUT THE QUALITY IS CRAP BECAUSE THEY EXPORT ALL THE GOOD STUFF. TRY AND GET QUALITY STEAK OR A NICE LEG OF LAMB. IF YOU CAN, THEN YOU WILL PAY BIG MONEY FOR IT.

OH AND JUST TO LET YOU KNOW, THERES NO 2 4 1 RESTRAUNTS HERE EITHER.

CARS ARE STUPID MONEY HERE SO IF YOU CANT AFFORD ONE IN THE UK, ITS DOWN TO THE NACKERS YARD FOR AN OLD ASS! JUST TYRES PER YEAR THROUGH HITTING POTLOLES COSTS MORE THAN RUNNING A CAR IN THE UK.

Return to “General Discussion”