Why are people STAYING in Bulgaria?

Discuss here anything that does not already have its own Forum.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Norman-D-Beeches
Super User!
Super User!

Why are people STAYING in Bulgaria?

Postby Norman-D-Beeches » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:02 am

We fell in love with Bulgaria on the first day we arrived, and since then, our love of the country and it's people have only increased. Even then it felt as if we had, 'come home'. After 5 years, we are still regularly surprised and even amazed, not only by the beauty of the land and it's wildlife, but also by the openess and kindness shown to us by the vast majority of the people we meet. We have nothing but respect for these people, and hope that their traditions may survive for ever.

Tomorrow we will be going to another wedding. We have never met the bride or groom, but two of our neighbours are grandparents of the groom. When we asked why we were invited, we were told that, if we live in the village, we are 'family'.

I could go on at length about many instances such as this, though I'm sure most of you will have plenty of your own examples of Bulgarian hospitality.

I guess it's just a case of 'horses for courses', but given the choice between living in the over-governed, over-regulated, over-policed, over-crowded, over-priced, brutish society of the 'civilised' UK and Bulgaria, we know which we prefer.

Of course there are frustrations; that's life, but those frustrations pale into insignificance when compared to the stress and uncertainty we felt before we moved. People talk about progress as if it automatically means improvement, but surely this is not always the case. Good intentions can turn into something completely different. It seems to me that the UK has, over the last 50 or so years, deteriorated beyond the point of repair, and we simply don't want any part of it.

I know it's been said many times before but living in Bulgaria is, in so many ways, like living in the UK 50 years ago, and that's why we love it. We won't leave; we will be buried here, and we wouldn't want it any other way.

Norman D Beeches. =D>

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
B52
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby B52 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:47 am

No flowery reasons here. We could live anywhere. However, it is cheap, it is in the EU and it is on mainland Europe. I’d be lying if I said “we couldn’t ask for any more” but it is sufficient.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
owain
<b>Property Sales</B>

Postby owain » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:58 am

Nice post Norman :)
I think most are staying because their pension currently goes a long way here. Combine that with a laid back lifestyle and generally good natured people then Bulgaria has to be one of the best options in Europe for retiring to.
Those families that have to work to stay here have to find a way of earning at least 2000 Leva a month to make it worth while but if they can, they can enjoy the same benefits. It's all about the money in the end, those who like it and can afford it will stay, those who can't will leave, even if they don't want to.

I also think that the fact that you can afford to travel around the Country, taking very affordable all year round vacations is also an attraction.In the same respect, with the likes of Turkey,Greece & Romania on the doorstep, Bulgaria is in a good location.

Bulgaria is rough around the edges but that's part of the charm to those who want to stay. I like the freedom to roam here, the fact that there are no fences or walls was an attraction to me. Interestingly enough though, my Bulgarian wife and a few Bulgarian friends think that the organised fences,hedgerows and stone walls of the U.K. are beautiful. Maybe being raised in dis-organisation makes you crave for organisation.
:smt102

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
kazz
<b>Country Advisor/Property Finder</b>

Postby kazz » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:59 am

We came to look because it's cheap. Don't think we'd have stayed if we didn't also love it here.....
Space around us and a sense of control over our own lives, those are the biggest factors.
Yes we bought a very basic house and yes it cost more to renovate than we expected and no it's not finished yet!
For all of that we have a decent sized garden; we have space for the dogs and a lifestyle that allows us to give them the time they need to be happy, good company rather than neurotic nuisances.
We live in a village and can go for a walk in the countryside without having to get in a car to drive there.
We're self-employed. We work as hard as we did in the UK but the only mistakes we have to take responsability for are the ones we make.
We enjoy our neighbours and the time we spend with friends, we love having proper weather....
Bulgaria suits us and we get more of the things we want here than we would in the UK.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
BG9374

Postby BG9374 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:55 pm

Working hard to try and move to BG, several plots of land. One site I'm wanting to develop for a biz.

Glad someone decided to open a discussion on moving to BG, are many, many, many positive aspects.

The cost of living is less (at the moment), more opportunity, never in the UK or in Ireland could I bought lands.

That biz never happens I then shall have opportunity of a huge back garden, and several choices of. Location countryside, surrounded by hills to walk, a climate and a busy village, mere few good points.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
qwerty
Super User!
Super User!

Postby qwerty » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:10 pm

There are so many positives to life in Bulgaria and I've only been here a year, we did 7 years in Turkey before that and both the Mrs. and I often say that we should have come to Bulgaria first.

We chose the village country life here, in Turkey we did the resort thing by the sea, full of pi**ed Brits everywhere, 100% humidity that was a killer every summer, we wanted to get away from all that.

Bulgaria is cheap, full of opportunity and I really like the freedom here, Bulgaria reminds me so much of France and Italy before the property booms started there in the nineties.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
qwerty
Super User!
Super User!

Postby qwerty » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:19 pm

SheilaP wrote:So to change this thread slightly. Why do people actually move to and choose to stay in Bulgaria? A few reasons come to mind:

1. Greater personal freedom
2. Healthy homegrown food,
3. Better standard of living, for (expats at least!)
4. Open, friendly, genuine people.
5. Better climate
6. Interesting and novel cultural differences, i.e the language and the absence of a saturday night binge drinking culture to name two
7. Proximity to other interesting countries - Greece, Turkey, Romania etc
8. Right to roam in wide open spaces - none of that: ''get off my land mentality'' so common in the UK
9. Empty straight roads
10. Interesting and varied wildlife and landscape.

There are probably hundreds of other reasons too but the climate, the people and the sense of freedom are some of the things I like about Bulgaria

The above poster on another thread sums it up perfectly :smt023

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
OldHolborn

Postby OldHolborn » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:03 pm

SheilaP wrote:So to change this thread slightly. Why do people actually move to and choose to stay in Bulgaria? A few reasons come to mind:

1. Greater personal freedom
2. Healthy homegrown food,
3. Better standard of living, for (expats at least!)
4. Open, friendly, genuine people.
5. Better climate
6. Interesting and novel cultural differences, i.e the language and the absence of a saturday night binge drinking culture to name two
7. Proximity to other interesting countries - Greece, Turkey, Romania etc
8. Right to roam in wide open spaces - none of that: ''get off my land mentality'' so common in the UK
9. Empty straight roads
10. Interesting and varied wildlife and landscape.

There are probably hundreds of other reasons too but the climate, the people and the sense of freedom are some of the things I like about Bulgaria

Perfect. :prayer:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
SooToo

Postby SooToo » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:30 pm

Location, location, location

We could be anywhere in the world and bought purely for where we are....nothing to do with Bulgaria, the people or that we even did any research (visited BG once before buying).

Been here nearly 5 years

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Norman-D-Beeches
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Norman-D-Beeches » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:18 pm

Obviously people came to Bulgaria for a variety of reasons: for most, like us, money played a part in making the decision - we believed that our limited resources might give us a better standard of living here than we could ever hope to look forward to in UK.

There is, however, another element which has occurred to me, and has not, to date been mentioned. When we came, we met quite a few people who were buying up houses and land as if there was no tomorrow. Would that be investment, or speculation? Well, we've all seen how that has turned out. People have been left with these places and, other than trying to offload, they have little or no interest in the country. A beautiful view was only important to them if it raised the price of the house.

While one's financial circumstances cannot be ignored, I feel that most of those who are still here and enjoying their new life are the ones who are able to appreciate the view for what it is, and for the sheer pleasure they take from it. I guess it could be called an almost spiritual attachment. They have risen a level from the purely pragmatic, commercial, money oriented and driven ethos of the UK, and are now able to be in touch with the earth and with life once more, and it feels good. I would suggest that, maybe, some people can experience this without ever being aware of it.

If I sound like an old hippy, (sorry, Tim,) then so be it. I do not apologise. All I can say is that if there is a God, since i've been living here, I feel closer to him or her than ever I did in the UK.

Taken from The thoughts and Ramblings of Norman D Beeches. :?

Return to “General Discussion”