Life at the borders with Greece

Discuss here anything that does not already have its own Forum.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
MIK
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Life at the borders with Greece

Postby MIK » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:05 pm

Hi guys

I'm considering to buy a property in Bulgaria close the greek border. I'm willing to find a place out of the villages or at least in the outskirts.

Do Bulgarians in the regions close the border traditionally speak some Greek?

How are the customs? Are they annoying like those is FYROM?

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Simonita
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Simonita » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:15 pm

Hi Mik,

Welcome to MYBG.

A good person to advise might be user mothman. He hasn't posted for a while, but you could try PMing him. You need to have made three posts to be able to PM.

Simonita

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
owain
<b>Property Sales</B>

Postby owain » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:39 pm

Hi MIK,
Welcome to MYBG :)
What part of the border, South or South West?

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
MIK
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby MIK » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:51 pm

Simonita wrote:Hi Mik,

Welcome to MYBG.

A good person to advise might be user mothman. He hasn't posted for a while, but you could try PMing him. You need to have made three posts to be able to PM.

Simonita

Hi Simonita, thanx

I will try to contact as soon as I will reach 3 posts...still one to go

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
gushter
Super User!
Super User!

Re: Life at the borders with Greece

Postby gushter » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:19 am

MIK wrote:Hi guys

I'm considering to buy a property in Bulgaria close the greek border. I'm willing to find a place out of the villages or at least in the outskirts.

Do Bulgarians in the regions close the border traditionally speak some Greek?

How are the customs? Are they annoying like those is FYROM?

Hi MIK!

As Owain asks, it would be helpful if you actually say what region you are looking at. The border with Greece is long and there are distinct differences in different parts of the border region.

Bulgarians in the border region do not traditionally speak Greek, but on the other side of the border in Greece you will find many of the people traditionally speak a dialect of Bulgarian.

It would be useful and interesting if you explain what 'annoying' customs you are referring to in Makedonia?? Before we can advise you about that it is helpful to know what customs you actually find annoying! I personally haven't found nearly as many annoying customs in the villages of southern Bulgaria or Makedonia as I have found in UK or Greece for that matter!:) But 'annoyances' are very much a matter of personal opinion.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Mat
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Mat » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:40 am

Presumably he's Greek and thus presumably the annoying customs are those related to the FYROMians calling themselves Macedonians and co-opting Greek cultural icons as they don't have any of their own.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
gushter
Super User!
Super User!

Postby gushter » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:52 am

Personally I have always found it much more annoying how the Greeks have always tried to deny and ignore that many of the people traditionally living in the Greek part of the Rodopi and Aegean Thrace are actually ethnically Bulgarian Pomaks with their own language and cultural traditions!:)

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Pascalcho

Postby Pascalcho » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:01 am

Mat wrote:Presumably he's Greek and thus presumably the annoying customs are those related to the FYROMians calling themselves Macedonians and co-opting Greek cultural icons as they don't have any of their own.

And me thinking Greeks stole cultural icons "a volonte" from neighbours...

Probably i'm wrong :)

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
owain
<b>Property Sales</B>

Postby owain » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:17 am

I thought MIK meant Border Control Officials....One word, so many meanings :lol:
The South West Border has been the main crossing point until recently so this area has a long history of Greek/Bulgarian relations.Some Bulgarians in the Border areas in the South West region speak Greek, especially the girls in Sandanski :wink: and some Greeks speak Bulgarian. You also see a lot of signs in the shops around Petrich and Sandanski written in Greek.
This is even more so now as the prices in Bulgaria for food and fuel are a lot cheaper than Greece so the shops and Gas Stations are full of Greek cars at the weekends.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
MIK
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby MIK » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:43 pm

Yep I was talking about Border Control Officials. I've crossed almost all the Balkans and I never had problems outside entering Macedonia from Greece. They were not able to speak any other language and they were nut...I mean I spent 2 hours under the sun with a guy that was keep telling us we were "working in Macedonia" which was not (1 time in life into Macedonia) and another one that made us remove all our stuff from the car, at every idiotic founding he was like " Ha Ha! I knew it! Drugs"

for the record he was pointing to chew gums in their own blister and greek mountain tea

He almost disassembled the car

--------------------------------------------------------

Anyway I'm not greek, I'm Italian, but I speak greek and I have some connection in Greece and will be easier to stay not far away from the bord ers for logistic etc. I was thinking to something in the area of the first two customs, let's say Blagoevgrad, Smoljan regions the most, Plovdiv, Pazardzik, Kardzali the latest

Return to “General Discussion”