BALKAN Motorcycle - Made In Bulgaria.

Discuss here anything that does not already have its own Forum.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

BALKAN Motorcycle - Made In Bulgaria.

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:34 am

Quick and Advanced searches do not throw anything up for me so, I'll risk a new thread. :roll:

Recently, I was helping my neighbour to search for a small 'Jerry Can' in one of his barns/garage and there was this old motorbike which in the bad light looked similar to something Steve McQueen and ridden in the Great Escape.

I asked what make and model it was and to my complete surprise was told that it was a 250cc Balkan built in Bulgaria. The surprise was due to the fact that I never had known that Bulgaria had produced a Motorcycle at all.

Obviously, this bike hasn't been moved for many many years, but the old neighbour still tried to kick start it and at least it sounded like there was compression there.

Now, for anyone who is a motorbike restorer or just interested in motorbikes, does anyone know of working models and I wonder how much, (in its current state) it might be worth? I haven't asked my neighbour if he'd want to sell it and nothing will happen now until he comes back (if he does) from his winter town flat. I guess spares would only be second-hand as well these days?

For those interested in the Balkan Motorcycle then a picture is shown here in the link. http://ozebook.com/wordpress/archives/1700

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
gimlet
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby gimlet » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:50 am

I posted some details about the Balkan a long time ago with a link to an instruction book if I remember right. I think in the early days they were IZh derived though that one in the photo does look a bit Jawa. The early ones had a single seat, a bit like a tractor seat, as did most bikes then.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
owain
<b>Property Sales</B>

Postby owain » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:53 am

They're fairly common place here, not sure if they'd be collectable outside of Bulgaria. Should be no problem finding spare parts for it, this site has most of the bare essentials:
http://www.motorbike-bg.com/products.php?id=103

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:56 am

gimlet wrote:I posted some details about the Balkan a long time ago with a link to an instruction book if I remember right. I think in the early days they were IZh derived though that one in the photo does look a bit Jawa. The early ones had a single seat, a bit like a tractor seat, as did most bikes then.

I didn't find anything in my searches, but that is not to say that it is not there. MOD will find it in seconds if it still exists, but thanks anyway; same to Owen for his spares link which might also prove useful for my DAKAR as well.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
owain
<b>Property Sales</B>

Postby owain » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:22 pm

There's quite a few Balkan's on http://www.mobile.bg/index_motori.html Including the one that gimlet describes.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
croxleydog
Super User!
Super User!

balkan motorbike

Postby croxleydog » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:25 pm

Hi M-W,
You have found a treasure.Dont know what its worth,but to give you a clue i bought my Trabant some years ago for 150lev.Spent a fortune on it even though it was road legal and resprayed it,new seats and it was shown in an article in Quest Bulgaria magazine.It is definetly based on the Jawa/cz concept,and i would love to have it as my next project if the price was right.
Keep me advised as it takes me back to my racing days.AJS 7R and Nortons then,and Ernst Degner with his ultra fast MZs.
Regards,
Mike

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:17 pm

Says he's selling two 250cc and a Moped (or similar), but I can't pin down a price for the side-car version unless I missed it in Bulgarian. I reckon they'd be a snip at 250 BGN.

The Chopped version has spoilt the bike, but that is just my opinion. I don't think my reputation at the Yambol Red Riders, Hells Angels Hang Around Club would be very good if I turned up on that. :lol:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
B52
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby B52 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:33 pm

Wikipedia rarely lets you down...

Balkan motorcycle

....with more in Bulgarian at...

Balkan motorcycle in Bulgarian

... and if it is images you want (with, invariably, some text to back them up at the link)

http://www.google.bg/images

...and type in "Balkan motorcycle"

or just take this link...

More images than you could ever need of the Balkan motorcycle(s)

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:14 pm

B52 wrote:Wikipedia rarely lets you down...

Thanks, but it don't give me the answer I really want which is, how much is the one in my neighbours garage worth, what costs are involved in restoration and what is the value after it is done.

I guess as with most things, there will be a Bulgarian enthusiasts forum on the Balkan range. Something to look up during those long cold winter nights. :wink:

Return to “General Discussion”