Let it Snow,Let it Snow,Let it Snow

Discuss here anything that does not already have its own Forum.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
owain
<b>Property Sales</B>

Let it Snow,Let it Snow,Let it Snow

Postby owain » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:48 pm

Due to the unussualy dry weather this year, many of Europes Ski resorts are yet to have their first snow. The Swiss Alps haven't had a flake yet:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-16018453
Obviously if the temperatures are low enough they can bring out the snow machines..but it's not the same.

Normaly Bulgaria gets a bit of snow on the peaks by now with the main flurries coming early to mid December but there doesn't seem to be any substantial snow fall forecast yet,maybe a little on Tuesday/Wedneday.
Interesting graph on this site,the snow seems to be coming later with less snow every Year:
http://www.igluski.com/bulgaria/bansko-snow-history_23498
Anyone booked a Skiing holiday for December or do all you skiiers wait until Jan/Feb now?

:smt114

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Mat
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Mat » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:03 pm

No-one books before Xmas unless its a snow sure resort (like the glacier at Tignes) or there is already snow in evidence. Opening the season in December is more marketing that expecting that there will actually be snow to ski on.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:33 pm

If you look at the tables on that site, the figures do show quite dramatic drops in snow in Bansko year on year. I remember our first year there in 2004 and 2005 the seasons were incredible with snow from Nov-April. I can guage it against the home run in Bansko, 2004 & 2005 it was open 90% of the season, the last few years it has been closed most of the season. The lower slopes and the town seems to get less and less each year.

Last year Bansko panicked dramatically as the opening loomed on the 15th and no snow, but it turned out eventually.

Can't see today as the Bansko webcams tend to be turned off until it snows. Last year they showed an old snow laden picture which many people complained of when they arrived to find no snow.

Borovets is great lumps of snowcannon snow only, and Pamps looks good for planting veg.

Then again, if you look at the year on year pics from www.bulgariaski.com they do show little snow until late Dec.

With Vitosha threatening (again) to stay closed for this season, this should be an interesting season in BG.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Tonyt

Postby Tonyt » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:41 pm

Hi, move to Scotland, according to pictures and forecasts, much snow falling and to fall. Tonyt

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
murroes

Postby murroes » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:45 pm

Yep, snow right down to the waters edge here on the North East coast of Scotland.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:26 pm

SNOW. 8O I'm still building my damned ARK. :roll:

Shouldn't this be in the Unusual Weather 2011 thread. :roll:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
MOD
<b>Be Generous & Give MOD a Home</b>

Postby MOD » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:56 pm

Moscow_Wolf wrote:Shouldn't this be in the Unusual Weather 2011 thread. :roll:

Nah! We don't consider snow at this time of year particularly unusual! 8O

Mod 8)

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
shearwater

Postby shearwater » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:08 am

Snow here now in Glasgow and u can have it all if you want .Roll on summer in Sunny beach in may and some sunshine and heat .

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:00 am

Much that I have spent the last 6 years fighting this type of BG winter for 3 months a year: http://www.mybulgaria.info/bulgarian-pi ... 17127.html I am going to miss it.......A bit
:wink:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
millomgirl
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby millomgirl » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:00 am

Snow here in Cumbria too. :( Not much, but coupled with the hail, freezing rain and howling wind, enough to prevent me getting to work across the fell roads this morning. And it is COLD! Brrrr!! Hello winter.

Return to “General Discussion”