WHY ARE BULGARIAN RAILWAY PLATFORMS SO LOW?

Discuss here anything that does not already have its own Forum.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
qwerty
Super User!
Super User!

Postby qwerty » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:44 pm

Because it is how it is and thats that..... :D

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:57 pm

I blame the Belgians who built the system in the 19th century (apart from the Ottoamsn who started with the Ruse-Varna line before the War of Independence.

Other question is WHY ARE THE STATIONS ALWAYS SO FAR AWAY FROM THE TOWN ?

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
rainbowwarrior
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby rainbowwarrior » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:16 pm

an age old conundrum like no other in BULGARIA. AS FOR ME i do believes trains were once upon a time lower like SCOT writes around about the times of the OTOMANS invasions and THUS IS WHY! Platforms be low. I could be wrong here FORUMERS I could be very wrong.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
banjo
Super User!
Super User!

Postby banjo » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:35 pm

I think its because the engineers had a good drink of the local rakia. 8) 8) 8)

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
BG9374

Postby BG9374 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:24 pm

Take a guess, the carriages are very high and with steps which makes no sense expect form an engineering point of view.

Perhaps those higher carriages had better suspension - anyone think Bg trains shoogle less than the old UK rolling stock?

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Hippyboy
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Hippyboy » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:30 am

I reckon that the 'meisters' that built the platforms had never seen a train , so just took a line from their van ; simples ! On the other hand , low platforms make it much easier to walk across the tracks , no eh . Tim .

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
mihangel
Super User!
Super User!

Postby mihangel » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:21 pm

The answer is simple: it is because Bulgaria has adopted the railway system that is normal throughout most of continental Europe. In Europe it is usual for the carriages to have steps leading up to the doors, therefore the platforms have been built to fit the trains. Britain is an island with historically no rail connections with the rest of Europe. The early British engineers had the luxury of being able to do things differently. They decided to have high carriage doorsteps and high platforms. Having designed a certain system you then have to stick to it, to avoid huge expense and uproar.

British carriages are also narrower in width. It is impossible for normal continental carriages to travel on the older British standard rail routes because they would not pass under the bridges or fit though any of the tunnels. Spain and Portugal also have a different rail system to the rest of Europe. French trains have to stop at the border and the passengers have to change to a Spanish train; but it is only the wheel gauge that is different, I think that even south of the Pyrenees there are low platforms and carriage steps, so Bulgaria is certainly not alone.

It is not the Bulgarians that are out of line, it is the Brits. Driving on the left hand side of the road also comes to mind, and then there is the electrical wiring system, with “ring main” circuits and low rated fuses in each of the plugs. The best system in the world - but no other country will adopt it and why should they? It would simply be too expensive to change.

There is one advantage that I can think of in having low carriage entrances and that is that the train can can stop anywhere on the line away from a station and people can disembark without having to jump!

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Varnaite

the true answer

Postby Varnaite » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:06 pm

the platforms are so low because they used azll the concrete on the bl**dy kerbs in the city ....

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Norman-D-Beeches
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Norman-D-Beeches » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:00 am

I would think that the 'low-platform'', ''high-train'' would have neen the norm pretty well throughout the world, in earlier days of train travel.

Simply ask yourself: which is easier and cheaper: to bolt a couple of steps below the doors, or to build up or dig down, in order to make the bottom of the doors level with top of the platform? Not forgetting, of course that platforms can be 100yds long. I know which makes more sense to me.

ND.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
mihangel
Super User!
Super User!

Low Platforms

Postby mihangel » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:21 pm

In the rest of the world there are Railways.
In Britain and Ireland there are Nationwide Metro Systems.

Return to “General Discussion”