So this is Christmas.....

Discuss here anything that does not already have its own Forum.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
fredatinsch
Mega User!
Mega User!

So this is Christmas.....

Postby fredatinsch » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:45 pm

Well love it or hate it, good memories or bad, fed up with the Hype or canna get enough this is a good time to share. Please lets not get too heavy, some light hearted banter, bit of a laugh, tongue in cheek.

Me I love it, canna get enough of it, decorating the tree, wreath on the gate, lights up outside, much to the amusement of the villagers. I love the carols while cooking, crying at Noel Edmunds on his Christmas Show. Queueing up to send the Christmas Cards and Calendars. Its quite hard catering for two when all the recipes I want to try are for ten, but hey its Christmas.

My Biggest pleasure this time of year is to buy small pressies for village kids who have nothing, felt tips and colouring books and sweeties. The grown ups that have helped one way or another and put themselves out for us, also get a small gift. There faces, they are thrilled, so happy, so amazed at the wrapped gift and the card. I leave with a truck of pressies and come home empty handed and that is how I like it.

There is lots more to share with you but I will save that for latter posts..

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:34 pm

Well, Mr. MOD must be in the festive mood otherwise he would have most probably said 'Humbug' sent you to another post, but what the Hell it is nearly Christmas after all.

I enjoy this time of year as my part of the village is always quieter than usual as the 'townies' have gone back to their winter residences in Karnobat and Burgas and most things are very quiet. However, my nearest neighbour lost his Wife about the same time I lost my Father this last summer and I don't know whether or not he will come back next spring as he seems to have lost the will to live.

Anyway, the bird feeders are up my solar Christmas lights have been up all year which is a shame as I've got so used to seeing them every evening that it is nothing new.

I have a Turkey in the freezer and my Bulsat is working so, no doubt, I shall be able to watch my football team get another beating on Boxing Day at Arsenal.

Christmas Day will not be anything too special, but I shall have a SKYPE video conference with my Sister, her Hubby, two daughters and my Mom who is spending her first Christmas without my Dad for over 57 years.

I shall most probably tune in to Radio Classic or Radio 4 via the Internet to listen to some carols, but I should really try to download my favourite Christmas film, Scrooge, but the old version with Alastair Simms. (Arfur Daley) plays a part in it as a young lad.

Seasons Greetings to each and everyone friends and enemies both. I shall wave the white flag and invite all for a Christmas Day kick about with the old leather football and postpone the slaughter until the Generals force us back into battle. :wink:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
banjo
Super User!
Super User!

Postby banjo » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:46 pm

Who cares. Happy xmas to all on this site look forward to new year hope its a good one FOR US ALL.

Good health and cheers.

Varna man 8) 8) 8)

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
millomgirl
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby millomgirl » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:55 pm

Sadly, cannot be in BG for Christmas, but have spent an enjoyable afternoon making a date and walnut cake, using the walnuts from my tree in BG, and looking ahead to hopefully better times in 2012. Wherever you are and whatever you are doing, I do hope you all have a great Christmas and a happy, peaceful and prosperous New Year. :smt111

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Seedy
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Seedy » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:00 am

Gonna be an interesting one here! Decided to spend it in darkest Lincolnshire, on the promise a month or two back of a White Xmas.... :roll:

The in-laws are coming for their first visit to "The Big Bad West" and no doubt will soon be reeling at the lack of Political Commissars, food queues, Five Year Plans and work restrictions on EU nationals (sorry, skip that last one :wink: ). Having heard stories of the land of Too Fat To Work, Human Rights, Elf-n-Safety and so on, they are already bemused anyway and a mix of sherry, champers and rakiya will no doubt ensure this continues until their departure.

No Xmas tree though - it's in Sofia! :lol:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
fredatinsch
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby fredatinsch » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:46 am

Talking of trees being left in Sofia - how long have you had your artificial tree or do you have a nice still growing spruce one, anyone!
Mine sadly is artificial, brought from John Lewis, (arr those were the days) it was a good one so has stood the test of time and still looks good. The poor old Fairy after 16 years is looking jaded, but havena the heart to chuck her. Every single year I buy new lights, what is it with Christmas tree lights that nigh on cause a divorce. They should work so why canna he get em to work!!! BALLs, yes plenty of then, and a tiny red glass church, bought in Inverurie, by Mr J on our first Christmas, arrrrr.
Since then I have added, and added, like you do. I have glass snow flakes from Aviemore, Glass father Christmas's from Inverness, wooden figures from the Heather Centre between Aviemore and Grantown on Spey. Memories are made of this.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Simonita
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Simonita » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:51 am

Top of our tree is a star made of cardboard and tinfoil, which was all we could afford for our first Christmas together. The is also a bit of tinsel called "baldy" for right and proper reasons which is of the same vintage.

We'll have the full set of parents as usual - youngest is 88. Perhaps next year one of the 5 assorted brothers/sisters will have them for a change. Blimey - did you see that flying pig?

Busiest day of the year for eldest son as a church musician, but he will definitely show up later in the day. Younger son less certain - its been a difficult year for that particular relationship.

Quick trip to Calais last week so the cellar is well stocked, and also some decent meat as an antidote to turkey. Look away now if you're easily offended - tonight its cheval et frites.

Have a great one guys.

:lol:
Last edited by Simonita on Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:32 pm

Just got back from an hour with the Gendarmerie trying to explain that cutting down your xmas tree from the forest in Bulgaria is acceptable practice and I honestly thought it was the same in France. God I do miss the local Bulgarian bobby who would be actually helping me load the tree on the Jeep knowing his christmas bottle of whisky will follow.

Anyway, one slap on the wrist later they let me take the tree but warned me that they would be watching me..... 8)

I love christmas with a childish passion, my wife could quite happily hibernate until January the 3rd...Ba Humbug.

Tree's now decorated and lit, Last Christmas on the tv for the 5,678th time, pressies all wrapped and ready.

Bring on the 25th :smt114

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:18 pm

brianj42 wrote:Just got back from an hour with the Gendarmerie trying to explain that cutting down your xmas tree from the forest in Bulgaria is acceptable practice and I honestly thought it was the same in France. God I do miss the local Bulgarian bobby who would be actually helping me load the tree on the Jeep knowing his christmas bottle of whisky will follow.

Anyway, one slap on the wrist later they let me take the tree but warned me that they would be watching me..... 8)

I love christmas with a childish passion, my wife could quite happily hibernate until January the 3rd...Ba Humbug.

Tree's now decorated and lit, Last Christmas on the tv for the 5,678th time, pressies all wrapped and ready.

Bring on the 25th :smt114

I'd always assumed that you were a bit of a tree hugger to be honest and here you are, admitting the MURDER of a living tree only so you can hang baubles on it for Christmas and 12 days thereafter.

I actually feel sick at the thought of it. :evil:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Merry Christmas.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:29 pm

Now then MW, rather than ruin your xmas, and thoughts of me in the bin, I can assure you that the tree that is currently in my lounge, dressed to the eyeballs, was sustainably sourced as per the well defined, documented and acceptable Forest management technique of thinning. Something that was taught to me in BG by the local Forester and now reaffirmed in the forestry management course I am doing.

When trees are crowded together, they are in greater competition for sunlight, nutrients and water. As a result, they tend to be less healthy and to grow less vigorously. To improve the health and productivity of the forest, forest managers may thin the forest or remove a portion of the trees -- usually low quality trees that are competing with healthier trees for sunlight, water and nutrients. Thinning allows the remaining trees to grow faster and stronger and improves the growth of the forest’s understory by increasing the amount of sunlight that reaches the forest floor. This understory growth provides more food and cover for animals such as deer, quail and rabbits.

:wink:

Return to “General Discussion”