So this is Christmas.....

Discuss here anything that does not already have its own Forum.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
fredatinsch
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby fredatinsch » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:57 pm

So when you were younger and thought it was father Christmas that brought the pressies not Mum and Dad, where were they left, foot of the bed or under the tree. Did you get to open them as soon as you clamped eyes on them or were they opened after lunch.

Mine were placed at the bottom of the bed and were opened when I awoke, never mind what time of the night. Having more sence, than my parents, my kids pressies were placed around the tree and were only opened after breakfast and when we were all dressed.

In later years and to this day we now open them after, dare I say it, the Queens Speech.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Liliana

Postby Liliana » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:53 pm

Oh that was sooo magic... waiting for father christmas, who'd I'd already sussed didn't exist but little sister was believing. We had a pillow left (by my lovely dad) at the end of each bed, shared room, with a tangerine and lots of goodies. BUT we had to wait for Mum and Dad before we got to the tree and WOW always lots of the best goodies!!! I've also gots loads of other memories but....

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
lyn
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby lyn » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:05 pm

charlieboy wrote:MW - 2 things in your thread don't appear to be right for Bg - 1st - Trout...would love to know where.. :?: :lol:
and is 'Guv' a Bulgarian name :?:

Squillions of them around our way. They're called пърстърва

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
shebry
Super User!
Super User!

Christmas Greetings

Postby shebry » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:41 pm

To all who enjoy the festive spirit HAPPY CHRISTMAS :smt114
To those who don't I hope you have a HAPPY NEW YEAR :smt041

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:51 pm

fredatinsch wrote:So when you were younger and thought it was father Christmas that brought the pressies not Mum and Dad, where were they left, foot of the bed or under the tree. Did you get to open them as soon as you clamped eyes on them or were they opened after lunch.

Mine were placed at the bottom of the bed and were opened when I awoke, never mind what time of the night. Having more sence, than my parents, my kids pressies were placed around the tree and were only opened after breakfast and when we were all dressed.

In later years and to this day we now open them after, dare I say it, the Queens Speech.

Ha ha ha. I can remember the 'other' kids ridiculing me as I still believed in Father Christmas. I went home very despondent and told my Mom that Santa didn't really exist. (Pity I was 42 years of age at the time). :roll:

Anyway, I digress, come Christmas Eve as usual I was sent to bed around 8.30 and took a glass of milk and a mince pie for Santa. However, by this time, our open fires had been replaced by gas fires and the chimney's somewhat blocked so I had no idea how Santa would get in and leave our presents.

That particular morning, I awoke to find the milk drunk, the mince pie eaten and a handwritten letter from Santa proving his existence to me and telling me to be more trusting. I told my Mom that I wanted to take the letter to school to show my teacher and so that all the other kids would believe that Santa really existed. I recall her trying to explain to me why it wasn't such a good idea to do so.

So, after this rather satisfying but now embarrassing experience I vowed to never lie to any kid who asks me, 'Is Santa real', I would not intentionally break their little hearts, but would say that there was once indeed a Saint Nicolas who brought presents and happiness to children and, if you wish to believe that he still comes, then so be it'.

Anyway, my presents and my sister's presents were always loaded into Pillowcases and left under the Christmas tree in the main room. It was usual for us to open our presents in front of our parents around 9am on Christmas Day although, I can remember one Christmas morning sneaking downstairs circa 4am. opening my main present which was a Wolverhampton Wanderers Football strip and leather football, wearing it and dribbling the ball up and down the entrance corridor before retiring back to bed.

My Father came from a large family and I used to love all the annuals his brothers and sisters would buy for Christmas. I would sit for hours with the new Dandy or Beano annual and of course some football annuals too. When I got older, I got serious stuff like Dickens to read which was nowhere near as much fun, but that is growing up, I guess.

Merry Christmas all.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
bulgariaok

Postby bulgariaok » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:12 pm

I remember being very excited on Christmas eve ( oh the magic of Christmas when you are a child) I poured water on the hinges of the Livingroom door so it would not squeak when I opened it, didn't want to wake mum and dad up, going into the room with my big sister and little sister who we subtly woken up, seeing all the presents in the pillowcases, wow, such joy, finding all the sweets inside wondering if they were really for us, we ate them anyway. This is what Christmas is all about, it is for children, the magic, believing in father Christmas.
Later in life when I became a engineer I knew to use oil on hinges :lol: The magic of Christmas is still there, but it is for children and only for or memories. I love my memories.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Painter
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Painter » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:30 pm

I have to say that I love Christmas, though I hate the hassle of shopping the pleasure of giving the presents (especially to the kids) makes it more than bearable.

I don't think of it as being a christian thing, as the 25th of December has been used by many religious traditions as an excuse to have a big party...

Happy Mithras... yes him and Jesus have the same birthday... Happy Birthday Lads...

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
bulgariaok

Postby bulgariaok » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:43 pm

MW can celebrate it twice, 25th December and then can revert to the Julian calender and celebrate it on the 7th January, ohhhh those Russians :lol:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
walkage
Super User!
Super User!

Postby walkage » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:12 pm

Hope you all enjoy Xmas but like previously said I agree with hippyboy and will be very low key - roll on New Year - a much more honest and truthful wish.
Frieda I see you are also a fan of the Queen's Speech so you must so pleased that George Michael has recovered...Hang on someone has mentioned there is another Queen...but where...Oh yes forgot - Boy George.. :lol: :lol: :lol:
:wink:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
bulgariaok

Postby bulgariaok » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:30 pm

funny that all good male singers are gay

Return to “General Discussion”