Calling German Mechanics.

Discuss here anything that does not already have its own Forum.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Calling German Mechanics.

Postby brianj42 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:15 pm

I bought a tin of oil a couple of years ago and it sat in the garage. I now need steering fluid for my Jeep and rather than spend more money wonder if this is what I got it for.

German oil sold by a Bulgarian garage to an unsuspecting Brit :lol:

I.G.A.T LMH+ Hydraulikflussigkeit.

Internet searches show it is hydraulic fluid so "presumabl"y ok for my Jeep Cherokee Steering ?

Cheers

B :smt114

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:35 pm

Dumkoff........... vas ist mich dir, moglich der OIL is fur die Bremsen und nichts fur die Steering!!!

Moscow Translate from BAD German into even worse English...........

Fool, what is wrong with you, perhaps the oil is for the brakes and not for the steering!!!

My humble advice, don't risk it. Find out exactly what hydraulic oil is recommended for your Jeep and stick that in instead of the stuff you found God knows where.

Moscow 'Vorsprung durch Technik' Wolf. :wink:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:42 pm

:lol: Tis definately not brake fluid, I either bought it for the steering or the auto gearbox.

I would buy new but having gone to our local French version of Halfords they say "no problem, that will be €30 please".

Not sure I want to spend another €30 when I am 99% sure this is the right stuff...

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
bigbulg
<b>Legal Services</b>

Postby bigbulg » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:03 pm

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
demoboy
<b>Tradesman</b>

Postby demoboy » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:40 pm

Brian, usualy power steering systems use" ATF" automatic transmision fluid, best to check first though.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
yankv8
Super User!
Super User!

oils ?

Postby yankv8 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:50 pm

Dont use hydrolic oil for steering or gearbox.....you need the proper stuff,usually a red colour,otherwise a very expensive fix.and never use old brske fluid for your brakes it sucks in water and air from atmosphere,and willmake your brakes spongey or not any use at all

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
hopkin
Super User!
Super User!

Postby hopkin » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:15 pm

Automatic transmission fluid (ATF) aka TQF is suitable for both power steering and auto gears, if it is a sealed tin then it will be OK.
As in normal use it gets warm any moisture will be expelled but as Barney says do not use old brake fluid (it won't mix with mineral oil anyway)

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
gimlet
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby gimlet » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:30 pm

I think that's Citroen stuff, for their suspension and brake hydraulics. Steering as well. I believe it's mineral and green in colour.

ATF is a big no-no for Jeeps, they need a special oil, it's possible that LHM+ is right. Google is your friend.

First thing to do is to find out where it's going. Leaking pressure switches are quite common.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
truckyboy
Super User!
Super User!

oil

Postby truckyboy » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:38 am

As a guide, transmission fluid and power steering oil, is RED..if it is, its ok to use. Brake fluid however is clear, and although the viscosity looks the same, its not for auto gear boxes..if in doubt, spend a few quid now, or spend hundreds later..

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
croxleydog
Super User!
Super User!

Postby croxleydog » Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:14 pm

Hi,
After years working with my favourite Hydro systems on Citroen,I would suggest forget LHM or any of the derivatives as it was made specifically for the hydro-Pneumatic suspension and brakes etc and formulated by Citroen.I think you could be asking for big trouble if you use it as the seal composition is specifc to Citroen.
But best of luck.I know most will not take a blind bit of notice after 6 years on this forum that is my conclusion.
Happy Christmas,
Mike

Return to “General Discussion”