Cost of renovation... Roof / bath / plumbing /electricity ?

Discuss here anything that does not already have its own Forum.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
MIK
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Cost of renovation... Roof / bath / plumbing /electricity ?

Postby MIK » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:52 pm

Hi guys

Can someone give me some pricing references about renovation. Timing, general availability of workers and materials. Were you able to find good materials or should I consider to import them?

I did a search on the forum but I did not find any thread apart windows and heating.

My main concern is the roof.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:06 pm

Mik

A lot to do with labour, labour availability, materials and cost is dependant on where in BG we are talking. Prices do vary quite dramatically across the country and pinning it down to a location you can get some more specific pricing from others on MYBG in that area.

So, where you be to ? (As they say in Somerset)

Brian

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
MIK
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby MIK » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:17 pm

Hi Brian

Now I'm looking into Kardjali, south west in general.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
goodlife

Postby goodlife » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:14 am

Its a bit like asking how long is a piece of string, some things are easy to price like windows/ heating. My advice is to get people in and give you a quote on each job that is required, I usually only get quotes on labour for the work and i buy all the materials, go to the hardware shops etc and price bags of cement/ plaster board, etc, remember if you buy out in the sticks you will have to look at transporting materials to your house, there is companies out here that will quote you for a full renovation, but I bet they have a huge margin in case they come across unforeseen problems. If you are looking at roof being done, get someone in to give you a quote and get them to tell you what materials you will need, then price the materials yourself, sorry there is no easy way to give anyone an exact price on work, every house is different and requires a different degree of renovation

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
seathrift
Super User!
Super User!

Postby seathrift » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:01 am

Any house agent in your area should be able to give you a guide price per sq. m. After that it will be down to getting quotes or doing the rounds and pricing up materials etc. There are no short cuts to this endeavour.
The quality of labour in Bg is generally quite poor and you will need to do a fair amount of research locally to find a good contractor. Timber for structural work like roofing is mostly poor and is not graded, so far as I have been able to find. Overdesign is likely to be required. Most building products are available here and I doubt you would save anything by importing. Except that plywood does not seem to be available. Power tools are relatively expensive and sometimes only the cheaper versions are available. If you do much DIY bring the tools with you.
Generally speaking contractors do not know how to price a job and are clueless about how to control costs. They must work to a detailed specification and drawings if you are to have any chance of controlling costs. Supervision of the works by an independent person is a must or you will find the work suddenly stops, because the contractor has run out of money. Pay only for invoiced materials on site and labour say on a weekly basis for work actually done. Be prepared to put a lot of effort into the above or you are likely to experience some of the horror stories so often told on MY Bg and elsewhere.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
millomgirl
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby millomgirl » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:19 am

Good advice from Seathrift. Whatever you do, don't hand over money and expect them to get on with the job in your absence. How many people (including me) have fallen for that one? Be very careful about who you choose, and best advice I can give is to be on site as much as possible to oversee any work. Good luck - you might need it!

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Re: Cost of renovation... Roof / bath / plumbing /electricit

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:16 am

MIK wrote:Hi guys

Can someone give me some pricing references about renovation. Timing, general availability of workers and materials. Were you able to find good materials or should I consider to import them?

I did a search on the forum but I did not find any thread apart windows and heating.

My main concern is the roof.

Unfortunately, you don't show your Bulgarian location otherwise, I/we might be able to recommend certain suppliers.

Tiling. You will find a thread on this as I remember us discussing the labour cost per square metre. However, no need to import tiles from the UK unless you get a fantastic bargain in Wickes or somewhere as all of the BIG DIY Sheds carry loads of bathroom and floor tiles from Bulgaria, Germany, Italy, Spain a China. I have a mix of rather expensive German floor tiles, Spanish and Bulgarian kitchen/bathroom tiles. The biggest Bulgarian producer is KAI Group and they have a website in English language too, (if I remember correctly). I've had both English & Bulgarian tilers working on my house and the only difference was that the English chap was faster, but far more expensive than my Bulgarian tilers. English worked on a job price the Bulgarian on a daily rate as most can't work out a job price for love nor money.

Electrics. Again, there must be threads on this subject, the usual arguments about the standards of labour from Bulgarian and/or British sparkies. I personally used an English electrician with a recognised ticket that charges very similar to Bulgarian prices in the Yambol area. I hear that there are some good Bulgarian sparkies too, but I recall us arguing on here about the EU standards, Ring Mains and whatever so, the information is here somewhere.

Plumbing. Again, I used a Bulgarian plumber for all my water supply and connections although, I bought all of my sanitary ware in one of the big German DIY sheds. I don't know if they're more expensive here than back in the UK, but again, you can buy Bulgarian through to the top Italian brands if your budget fits. We used plastic piping for most of our plumbing as copper is expensive. Again, if you want copper piping and you see a great offer on eBay or similar then, it might be worth buying it and all the connections in the UK.

Roofing. I started my house build with two English guys and they sub-contracted a Bulgarian team of two men to make and fit all the roof trusses and joists and affix them to the ring beam. After that, it is not rocket science to have some decent workers/builders do the OSB (Sterling or Stirling board sheeting, treat it affix the roofing felt, battens, roofing tiles and guttering. Roofing tiles here appear to be local manufacture or, from Turkey/Greece etc. There are millions of second-hand ones lying about, folk can't get rid of them. I saw some advertised this week in the ALO paper for 0.10 Lev each, but beware that some can be distorted. I bought new as it is a new house and I use the old ones under gravel to keep weeds from popping through.

Costs. Varies greatly, the tiling thread shows as low as 8 Lev per sq. metre using a Bulgarian to 55 Lev per square metres using a Brit. You won't get a Bulgarian 'independent' (I mean cash in hand) worker to sign any document and has been shown on here, the contract means nothing when it all goes wrong. My BEST advice is to be on-site during the building process, don't rely on agents or friends as they won't be there all day long. I'll give you two examples of what CAN happen. Someone I know had a Bulgarian firm to renovate their house. Everything looked fine, they paid the firm. First time it rained heavily, water came in through part of the new tiled roof - why, because they had run out of roofing felt and just put the roof tiles on without it. Another one, an English guy leaves two Bulgarian workers to do some concrete steps (I think it was steps) he goes back and finds out that they forgot to put the reinforcing bar in. Okay, this guy is honourable, smashed up all the concrete and did it again properly, but many would not.

I prefer to pay for all the materials myself, transport costs here are HIGH and if I had to do it all again then, I would buy a cheap UK flat-bed and get my own sand, cement, bricks or whatever. I prefer as do my Bulgarian workers to receive a daily 8 hour flat rate. I pay 40 Lev per day, but I have paid as low as 25 Lev per day. You can see if they're working or shirking, but my guys are so glad to have the income that they work well and put in a shift. Don't get me wrong, we ALL make mistakes, but being on-site allows early rectification. If you ever see my house, you'd ask, why is that outlet pipe for the toilet on the exterior wall and not under the foundations! Answer, because two English builders forgot to put it in. They swore blind that it was there somewhere, but it wasn't so, I had to find another route.

We live and we learn.

I prefer to use individuals for set tasks as opposed to one building team for everything. It can work out cheaper or, more expensive. If you give your location you will no doubt be inundated with loads of offers and recommendations, but everything can be sourced here and done to a very good standard if you choose the right workers. Hope that helps you somewhat. :wink:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
seathrift
Super User!
Super User!

Postby seathrift » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:00 pm

M-W wrote:

If you ever see my house, you'd ask, why is that outlet pipe for the toilet on the exterior wall and not under the foundations! Answer, because two English builders forgot to put it in. They swore blind that it was there somewhere, but it wasn't so, I had to find another route.

Poking my nose in where it may not be valid, unless you have got your floor finishes down it should not be too difficult to break out a bit of the floor, dig out some of the foundation/brickwork and route your pipe as you originally intended. A small length of missing foundation/wall will not make much difference to the wall structurally.
A few reinforcing bars grouted into the existing floor will make the repaired floor stable. A much better way to avoid freezing in the pipe during the winter.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:18 pm

seathrift wrote:M-W wrote:

If you ever see my house, you'd ask, why is that outlet pipe for the toilet on the exterior wall and not under the foundations! Answer, because two English builders forgot to put it in. They swore blind that it was there somewhere, but it wasn't so, I had to find another route.

Poking my nose in where it may not be valid, unless you have got your floor finishes down it should not be too difficult to break out a bit of the floor, dig out some of the foundation/brickwork and route your pipe as you originally intended. A small length of missing foundation/wall will not make much difference to the wall structurally.
A few reinforcing bars grouted into the existing floor will make the repaired floor stable. A much better way to avoid freezing in the pipe during the winter.

No problem, that is near enough what we did, i.e. through the wall on top of the foundation, but it was meant to be a vertical drop toilet with the outlet going through the concrete base/foundation. I didn't have the tool then for bashing through all of that concrete and rebar.

Actually, we masked it over a couple of weeks ago and when the stone cladding goes on the bottom of the house, it won't be as noticeable as a 125 mm grey plastic pipe sticking out of the wall. :roll:

Return to “General Discussion”