Car reg

Discuss here anything that does not already have its own Forum.

Moderator: Moderator

Stupotker

Car reg

Postby Stupotker » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:31 am

Hi green newbie here new to forum and Bulgaria.Looked back at old posts concerning registering a car over here and seems to be a mixed lot of advice on doing so.Also some of the posts are quite old.Can any one give me some up to date advice on how to go about it please. :)

troyan
Super User!
Super User!

Postby troyan » Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:37 pm

assuming you mean registering/importing a car on English plates

1 you need a long term residency card to register in your name............ or ......register it in your company name

2 you need to insure the car prior to going to the KAT with the registration left blank which you then get changed when you have your registration number

3 you need the V5 from UK

4 advisable to go with a BG person unless you speak very good Bulgarian

It can all be done in a day but sometimes it can take that depending on how busy the KAT office is and which region you are in, generally Ive found its about 4 hours in Lovech

I have registered around 20 plus vehicles in BG, sometimes difficult sometimes easy, never enjoyable but its a good feeling when you get the vehicle home with the fresh plates.

Stupotker

Postby Stupotker » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:08 pm

Cheers Troyan not as bad as I thought it might be.

scanniaman
Penny Pincher

Postby scanniaman » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:22 pm

I recently registered my car from UK at dobrich Kat and went into one of the small huts next door. An English speaking woman called Marianna sorts the insurance and everything else apart from the queueing all day obviously. She will tell you what to do but you can 'hire' someone from next door who will do all this for you if you want for about 70 lvs and no doubt half the time. I queued in the offices and for the check test for 7 hours and when I got to the front of the queue they closed until the next day so I had to go back in the morning. still took 2 hours and I was at the front .The check is 5 mins but the offices take forever. worth 70 lvs in my opinion and take a stroll round the town.if you want the number of marrianna just message me.
scanniaman

eshek

Re: Car reg

Postby eshek » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:44 am

Hello to all,
In early May 2017 I intend to register my German registered van to BG plates. As my resident permit has my Medovo (near Dobrich) address the registration office becomes Dobrich.

As I am very new to this I would appreciate all the advice I can get - even the smallest item (according to you) may be of enormous help for me e.g. where is the registration centre?

Which company would you recommend for insurance - also the contact details (phone/email) of Mariana and the 70 lev (person) would be appreciated.

I look forward to your responses.

eshek

troyan
Super User!
Super User!

Postby troyan » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:11 pm

Eshek

You will need

Your German registration,
Your ID card
Some money, the whole thing is quite cheap considering, take 500 lev and you will have change

First you need to go to an insurance company and get insurance.......they leave the Registration blank, and once you get te registration number you go back and they fill it in........you also have to pay an eco tax which in my case the insurance company will do it.

Take a Bulgarian with you if possible this will ease the stress because you need to go to lots of different little windows.

it can all be done in an afternoon, not bad for importing a car.

eshek

Postby eshek » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:30 am

Thank you Troyan for the reply - it is useful to know how much it would cost.

johndoe3

Postby johndoe3 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:46 am

From memory, it may be different these days.
I had to go to a Notary to sign my car over to my Company.(Strange as it may seem).
I also remember going to an Insurance Office to get a Certified Valuation on the car, as there was a payment made to Kat based on the value of the car.
The 2 things above are not done at the KAT Office.
Check your car documents yourself to verify the chassis and engine numbers tally.
They do check that you have, triangle, fire extinguisher and first aid kit.
That was about 6 years ago, so regulations may now have changed. I took a Bulgarian speaker with me, but it took a day. Also, check the documents, which you receive, as any discrepancies, may show up the following year, when you go for your Annual check.
:D

eshek

Postby eshek » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:52 am

Thank you all for the informative replies- another question.
Is it necessary to translate the log book etc to Bulgarian?

ChrisF
Super User!
Super User!

Postby ChrisF » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:47 am

No, not at all. You need to follow the instructions on the log book to inform the German authorities that you have exported the vehicle, but you will be given a new set of documents in Bulgarian when you register here.

Return to “General Discussion”