What if the UK leave the EU

Discuss here anything that does not already have its own Forum.

Moderator: Moderator

DANNIA
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby DANNIA » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:23 am

The cost of living will fall by 8 percent on one day if Britain leaves the EU
http://www.breitbart.com/london/2015/11 ... n-day-one/

scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:21 pm

Ah, the Promised Land awaits !

Excuse my cynicism.

houseman
Super User!
Super User!

Postby houseman » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:08 pm

I shall just consult my crystal ball....
Ah! Yes, the mist is clearing...

Excuse my mysticism.

scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:44 pm

I plan to visit BOTH the soothsayer and the astrologer on the morrow. I know the Black Arts are forbidden to the Faithful, but we live in dangerous times.

phoenix

Postby phoenix » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:16 pm

If we vote to leave the EU it will be a total disaster for the working class. All the statements/arguments about banks and trade agreements mean the rich and super rich may have a problem, or not, as the case maybe The ordinary employee will see dickensian working practices within five years. Not to mention the job losses as multi nationals relocate to stay within the EU for the incentives it provides. This will drive down pay of course.

My tax statement this year stated that I paid £84 towards the EU budget last year. 23p a day! For this I get employment rights, that mean I can have decent holiday time, sick pay, paternity leave (bit late for me tho). My employer cannot force me to work 60 hours a week. He must look after my health and safety. He cannot fire me at a whim without consequence.

people may have a problem with immigration but the ultimate price for trying to curb the human instinct for a better life will be misery!

Rant over.

I will be voting IN.

Malarkey
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Malarkey » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:56 am

I agree with phoenix, however I do think Dickensian working conditions have already arrived via Zero hours contracts etc.

troyan
Super User!
Super User!

Postby troyan » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:30 am

Britain invented workers rights, the NHS, Health and safety......it wasnt forced on us by the EU,

why does everyone want to live in the UK?

I have been on zero contract for 30 years (freelance), without problem, infact can command higher wages when the demand is higher.

I am all for the EU 100% but would say if anything drives down wages it is the movement of labour from vastly different economies, which in turn damages the donor states economy, two negatives from this rule, personally I would like to see donor states receiving a portion of the taxes from the beneficiary state......after all they have educated and provided the worker..and or time limits on migrant workers

There are lots of countries that continue to struggle although are members of the EU.

Mat
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Mat » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:47 am

troyan wrote:personally I would like to see donor states receiving a portion of the taxes from the beneficiary state......after all they have educated and provided the worker..and or time limits on migrant workers

I totally agree with your point - America is terrible at this offering visa lottery to the cream of the crop of other countries who really need the talent and the UK has recently stopped hiring nurses from third world countries - but actually the structures of the EU ensures that this happens. There is a massive financial transfer from the rich countries to the poor through the structural funds (14bn euro to BG over 6 years). So Bulgarians go to rich countries and pay tax (theoretically) and part of that is redistributed here.

Rich counties also take all the gypsies and scum of our society who want to go to where the thieving pickings are richer. Ten years ago you wouldn't have dared to ride public transport in Sofia - now its rather pleasant. So they tell me.

scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:35 am

The City, ie British Finance Capital wants us to leave. Those nasty foreigners in Brussels are trying to tell the bankers how to behave.

troyan
Super User!
Super User!

Postby troyan » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:49 am

Agreed there are lots of plusses for Bulgaria being in the EU.....out of all the periphery states it has probably benefitted more than any other for a few reasons, one being the starting point which couldnt get any lower, and perhaps timing as they didnt have time to go boom and bust due to the 2008 crisis, and population size which is very manageable.

I find that there are very switched on people here who were either successful before the membership or have used it since membership, so not exactly a mass exodus, and I suppose in some ways as you say a lot of dross leave as well.

And as British expats quite a few will return,some already have..... which is quite a high percentage in the UK

Most Eastern Europeans I work with in the construction industry are not really looking to end their days in the UK and do siphon off the money to their homeland, at least the smart ones do.

Return to “General Discussion”