Border hold up's Is there any?

Discuss here anything that does not already have its own Forum.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
CatsWhiskers
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Border hold up's Is there any?

Postby CatsWhiskers » Fri May 06, 2016 12:22 pm

We are driving over to Bulgaria next week. We've tried several routes. We were wondering if anyone has had any hold ups on the borders either going or coming back.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
marymo
Super User!
Super User!

Postby marymo » Fri May 06, 2016 9:37 pm

Just arrived this week. No major holdups at all apart from at Bulgarian checkpoint at Ruse and that was because they had only one booth open to deal with incoming traffic. If you are coming thru Romania make sure you keep your receipt for the vignette.....they asked for it on the Romanian side as we paid the bridge tax. Never asked for it before. The Bulgarians also asked for our car documents. That also never happened to us before.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
CatsWhiskers
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby CatsWhiskers » Sat May 07, 2016 8:33 am

Thanks for that. We are thinking of trying the Hungary
Serbia route this time into Vidin. We went through Croatia last year but got held up for 3 hrs at the Serbian border.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Keegan
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Keegan » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:19 am

Any updates on the Croatia/Serbia route please? Anyone done it very recently.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Mat
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Mat » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:50 pm

This is peak travel for Turks so assume it will be really busy

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Keegan
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Keegan » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:27 pm

Thanks Mat, its the end of August we'll be passing.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Mat
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Mat » Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:56 pm

That will be OK - all the Turks will be on the way back by then so you can laugh at them as you blast through

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
millomgirl
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby millomgirl » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:36 pm

Good to know, and hopefully the situation won't change before I am driving over in September. I got asked for car docs at the Hungarian border once before, but that is the first time. Will be doing the Romanian route with the dogs. Is there any update on how the motorway through is progressing?

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
bulgariabill
Super User!
Super User!

Postby bulgariabill » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:36 am

Hi Millomgirl
I have just returned from UK to BG trip (arrived back 11 July) My route - Calais-Brussels-Gent-Aachen -Koln-Frankfurt- Wurtzburg-Nurenburg-Regensburg-Lintz-Wein-Gyor- Budapest-Szeged-Arad-Deva-Sibiu-Pitetsi-Bucharest -Constanta -Into BG

Roads from Calais right through to Arad mainly motorway, From Szegred to Arad new motorway and new large border control, (Full vehicle and Docs check, from there down to Arad new motorway, Just after Arad and towards Deva some normal but good moving country road, at Deva New motorway bypassing Sibiu to the Transalvanian mountain pass route (Motorway scheduled to pass through this at some point) down to Pitetsi,

Major roadworks about 5km from Pitetsi just before joining the Bucharest motorway, resurfacing the road one side at a time, so I had nearly and hour stop start passing through.

Other area's to watch, Brussels to Gent-on entry to Gent 3 lanes down to one over about 10km stretch, long tailbacks.
Several areas of roadworks through Germany especially from Koln right down to Lintz.
I did most of the long stretches through the night and main chunk of Germany on a Sunday.
No real need for Sat Nav for the main route as long as you know your 'Target' towns/cities, they are well signposted at each one.
Hope this helps somewhat, the way they work it could all change by the time you travel???? safe trip

Bill

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
troyan
Super User!
Super User!

Postby troyan » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:13 am

Bill

The Brussels Gent section which way are the hold ups going towardsor away from UK

I am heading towards UK in two weeks time

Return to “General Discussion”