Speaking Bulgarian

Discuss here anything that does not already have its own Forum.

Moderator: Moderator

SheilaP

Speaking Bulgarian

Postby SheilaP » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:51 pm

I have been trying to learn Bulgarian for a while now but do not always work at it as hard as I should. Have any of the forum members on here become skilled in spoken Bulgarian and if so, what do you feel has been most helpful in your mastery of the language? Unfortunately, due to work and family commitments, we have only been able to spend about a month each year in BG.

Mat
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Mat » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:05 pm

No. I have been here 15 years and am reliably informed that my Bulgarian language skills are akin to a 3 year old gypsy from Ruse. I queried the specificity of the location but it has been confirmed by a number of people.

I have never found this to be an impediment.

troyan
Super User!
Super User!

Postby troyan » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:18 pm

I can speak probably enough to get past almost every situation......with a certain amount of difficulty, its a very hard language

I have another problem is that I speak Spanish and a lot of Bulgarians do so end up talking a lot of Spanish here

I wanted to buy some mosquito net and a staple gun yesterday which I had no problem doing, I was quite pleased with myself.....I didnt speak fluent Bulgarian but didnt have any trouble.

Also here periodically I guess a bit lazy as well,on average i do about 4-5 months a year and do lose the momentum when I leave

Sometimes its better not to understand everything

Nick1

Postby Nick1 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:17 pm

I understand more bulgarian than i can speak,but if they talk to fast i get left behind
i can also get by with most things that i want to buy or need,my bulgarian friends who speak english usually ask me to speak english,because they say im better at it than bulgarian :lol:

when i get pulled by the police i make a point of speaking no bulgarian at all,just in case they decide to do me for something.

scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:55 am

When I arrived in 1991 I had no Bulgarian at all. However I had German and French and having learned other foreign languages helped me with Bulgarian. In vocabulary acquisition I benefited from the rule that where the Germans use a word of French origin, this will probably also be used in Bulgarian. In those days there were very few westerners living in BG and I just set about using and learning Bulgarian. "A text every day" was my method and I mainly used "Trud" for my texts, starting with the TV programme.

watching children's TV was a great help in the early days.

SheilaP

Postby SheilaP » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:12 pm

Thanks Scot. I have learnt most by playing language CD's in the car on the way to work. Wish I could get Bulgarian T.V. here in the UK as that might be a great way of picking up more. Am currently trying to learn one new word a day but guess I'll only really start to get more fluent by living in BG full time- something I can't do because of family/work commitments.

Blogadaria Mnogo,
S.

troyan
Super User!
Super User!

Postby troyan » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:32 pm

SheilaP

Try Streema.com you can get BG radio channels for free there wherever you are, Horizon has quite a bit of talking and news.

my phrase for the day is имай вяра

westwitch

Postby westwitch » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:43 pm

Hi SheilaP

Like most people, we've found the language difficult to learn, but living in an all-Bulgarian village, we manage to make ourselves understood and can even exchange jokes with our neighbours. They have all been very patient with us and have adapted to our peculiar pronunciation over the years.

When we first went out to BG, we gave ourselves a list of 20 words to learn each day and we tested ourselves regularly. We built up quite a substantial vocabulary over the first couple of years, but even with a good vocabulary, I still struggle to put sentences together.

You could try 'Memrise' for free online courses, if you haven't already.

There are a number of different courses in Bulgarian and one has audio so you can check your pronunciation.

https://www.memrise.com

Best of luck!

scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:38 am

Bulgarian is a doddle compared to the other Slavonic languages ! Polish Grammar is impossible - and Russian is not much better !
Last edited by scot47 on Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

troyan
Super User!
Super User!

Postby troyan » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:55 am

same as Westwitch, I have a large number of words and can easily get by and get the gist of most of what is going on but struggle to put sentences together

I dont know whether anyone has experienced this but certain people I can understand much more than others, some people I just cant understand a word yet others seem to have no problem whatsoever

I am getting pretty good in shops with numbers

Hopefully one day it will all just drop into place like Spanish did,although not claiming to be fluent can more than get by in Spanish.

I never studied Spanish just listened, just like kids it is a subconscious process
Listen to the news on the radio and although nobody is explaining you seem to just start to understand of you listen carefully.

We have some amusing situations when I am with my landlady out and about Bulgarians find it very amusing that an English person communicates in Spanish and Bulgarian......we always get there in the end.

Return to “General Discussion”