Speaking Bulgarian

Discuss here anything that does not already have its own Forum.

Moderator: Moderator

SheilaP

Postby SheilaP » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:37 am

Bueno, Vamos!

MIK_bg
Super User!
Super User!

Postby MIK_bg » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:18 am

Not improved much. I had a 1 and 1/2 year brain fog due to a devitalised tooth who did not helped a bit, just couldn't keep a new word in mind (note to everyone...if you have devitalised teeth even without any symptoms REMOVE THEM ASAP..very serious) Beside I do not watch tv, wich is helpful, but unberable to me so I gave it away the second day I moved in BG, nor spending time chatting with bulgarians, almost annoying as the tv, I still able to understand while once I have to formulate a phrase there is not much to work on. Greek (and mostly turkish derived greek words) helps with hint about words roots as much as Latin. Despite some words who are the same are completely unrelated...just to add to the confusion of the Ne(BG for No) and Nai(GR for Yes) and head shaking and noddings.

General lack of interest is the bottom line. This is unusual to me as I learnt myself other languages even lately.

For some reason as I hear spoken russian my brain activates while with bulgarian it gets anesthetised.

My suggestion is to find at least one person you share some interest together and have long chats.
TV also helps especially if you do not won't to get a **** Kardjali accent (ouch!)...starting with children programs to get basic grammar.

Btw beside those who speak turkish here and those who speak bulgarian, being able to cut out conversations as pure noise is something extremely valuable.

scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:19 am

the problems with Anglophones is that they do not learn foreign languages at school. Not sure about Eton or Gordonstoun but increasingly at state schools no attempt is made to impart foreign languages.

If you have learned French, German or Spanish at school, then learning another foreign language later in life is easier.

millomgirl
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby millomgirl » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:02 pm

I used to watch tv programmes in Bulgarian, especially things like the BG version of Wheel of Fortune, where I picked up loads of words, sounds of letters etc. When I lived there, I was fluent enough to cover most things... ordering stuff from builders, menus, the market etc, and holding everyday conversations with people. Strange thing is that when I am back in the UK, I can't remember a single word, but as soon as I go back I slip straight back into it. Verbs and tenses are still a problem, and I intend to have lessons when I go back in September.

scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:08 pm

If anyone is looking for tuition in Bulgarian language from a competent and trained language teacher in PAZARJIK, I can put you in touch.

melly
Topic Advisor: Learn the Language

Re: Speaking Bulgarian

Postby melly » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:17 am

Hi Guys,

It's Melly - the first Bulgarian language tutor for expats in the UK.

I am based in London now- not Southampton anymore .

My book Bulgarian 4 brits it's available to buy on half price- Christmas promotion plus free P&P.

Please contact me on : mellylp@yahoo.com for more details

https://www.facebook.com/Bulgarian-4-br ... bG-LQM98wL

banjo
Super User!
Super User!

Postby banjo » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:05 pm

This is a forum for British people wanting info in Bulgaria not for advertising your business please stop.

banjo
Super User!
Super User!

Postby banjo » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:11 pm

Happy Christmas to everyone and a prosperous new year.

truckyboy
Super User!
Super User!

Postby truckyboy » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:42 pm

Mine is limited to hello, goodbye, thank you, how are you, and can order in a restaurant food and drink, i understand the alphabet, and can read most of the menu in bulgarian, its shameful as my wife is bulgarian and a teacher to boot..in the early days i couldnt be bothered as she was always with me, but i spend sometime on my own now before she joins me..my local bar staff speak english anyway which doesnt help, but i am polite and greet them in bg and order in bg..supermarkets is quite easy, as is the payment as its in digital..i suppose its down to lazyness, but i have a dictionary, and write down on my phone words i want to learn..i get Bg tv/radio on my computer, and often download films to watch on our big screen,some are in bg with subtitles too..or american films with bg subtitles..every little helps.

Return to “General Discussion”