Sbogom, Bulgaria

Discuss here anything that does not already have its own Forum.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Sbogom, Bulgaria

Postby scot47 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:36 am

I will be starting kidney dialysis soon and this makes it unlikely that I will return to Bulgaria. I lived there for many years from 1991 to 2008 through a period of transition for the Republic. From 1996 I had my base in BG while working in the Middle East.

Now my days as an itinerant scholar and teacher of languages are over. I shed a tear - not only figuratively.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
varnagirl
Super User!
Super User!

Postby varnagirl » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:36 am

Good Luck with the treatment...its a shame if you cant return because you are a guy who really loved / loves this country

you helped a great many of us with your posts over the years and withstood a lot of critism and ridicule from some posters...but in the good old days of this forum you were a pillar of knowledge...pity a lot more did not get to meet you , Im so glad I did.....and treasure the memories of that train trip weekend
thanks Scot47.............. :D

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
ChrisF
Super User!
Super User!

Postby ChrisF » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:05 am

There's not much that I can add to that, except to add my thanks for your very useful and informative posts in the good old days. I remember the train trip although I didn't go on it, I did meet you briefly, though, in the English bookshop in VT.
Good luck, and keep posting.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Mat
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Mat » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:53 am

Christ, he's not dead yet

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
FlagHostel

Postby FlagHostel » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:10 am

to all you pisshead - non stop beer drinkers in BG (because it's cheap)

try drinking water, if you have ever heard of it.

you will live longer !

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
ChrisF
Super User!
Super User!

Postby ChrisF » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:31 am

Nobody said he was, but it doesn't hurt to show appreciation of Scot's valuable input in the past, when this forum really was about Bulgaria. It is sad to hear that Scot probably won't be able to visit Bulgaria again. Believe it or not, FH, there is more to Bulgaria than cheap beer

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:54 am

I came to Bulgaria in 1991 to teach English through the Cultural Agreement between the People's Republic and the UK.

On arrival I could not read the Cyrilic alphabet and had zero Bulgarian. I applied myself to acquiring the language when living in Dobrich. I began to appreciate that Bulgaria is a fascinating country whose population are often smarter and better educatied than your average Ukanian

After two years in Dobrich my Bulgarian wife and I moved to Shumen where I taught for a while. I always felt that the 2Real Bulgaria" is in the village and the small town. I never came to like Sofia although I often had to visit the capital.

Now I can resign myself to boring people here and telling traveller's tales at our local Kirk Session.
Last edited by scot47 on Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
FlagHostel

Postby FlagHostel » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:02 am

yes chris F

i totally agree with you that there is more to bulgaria than cheap beer.

i have bothered to drive all over bulgaria and explore it.

quite often going to places that most english people, who are living in bulgaria, have never heard of.

if english people, living in varna, have never heard of the sea wof restaurant - and they live in the city.

then the chances are, they definately will not have heard of the where troyan is going to today.

troyan, like me, gets out and about and explores.

far too many english people sit around in villages, towns and cities just drinking.

they all need to get out more

this is my point.

well done Troyan for not being one of those english people.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:33 am

flaghosetl, like most of the "Sun" readers that one meets suffers from the misapprehension that we are all "English". He is on this issue, and most others, misinformed.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
millomgirl
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby millomgirl » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:58 am

Sorry to hear that, Scot. You were the one person I admired when I first started posting on here, along with Dusty, who no longer posts, I believe. I loved your posts about Bulgarian life, and you were always so informative and helpful. I think you will miss Bulgaria very much, as I do when I'm not there. Take care, and hope the treatment isn't too gruelling.

Return to “General Discussion”