From 0 to 30 Britons citizenship application increase

Discuss here anything that does not already have its own Forum.

Moderator: Moderator

Malarkey
Super User!
Super User!

From 0 to 30 Britons citizenship application increase

Postby Malarkey » Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:17 pm

http://www.novinite.com/articles/175982 ... fter+Brexi
The Bulgarian Embassy has been contacted by 30 Britons interested in citizenship, up from negligible interest, the newswire said.

Full article http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... s-revealed

The articles title is misleading, yes some counties had a surge of interest from UK citizens, but even so numbers are really low and most have fallen back to nearer normal levels.. Finland’s Embassy said it had seen about 100 more passport applications than in previous summers. The Hungarian Consulate estimated it received 220 citizenship-related inquiries from Britons since June 23, up from fewer than 10 in the first half of the year and so on.
Austria had the most inquires. "The Austrian Embassy, said in an e-mail. “In the first days after the referendum, phone and e-mail inquiries have increased to more than 100 inquiries per day.”

"Meghan Benton, a senior policy analyst at the Migration Policy Institute in Washington, said there were likely two kinds of applicants, the first being people who regularly use freedom of movement because of family and work.
“The second group is the interesting group; they’re the people who want the richness of EU citizenship, people who may have never activated their freedom of movement,” she said by phone. “They probably feel cheated, not wanting to lose their rights.”

Laughing at the second explanation and I voted remain. I wonder if Irish Matchmaker Industry has had a boost. http://www.nickryan.net/articles/matchmaker.html Willie Daly is the last of the traditional Irish 'matchmakers', matching lonely couples from around the world.

scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:27 pm

Serious enquiries would be more likely to come from those already in Bulgaria. I would discount crazies in the UK who just phone up an Embassy in London and ask about becoming a citizen.

Malarkey
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Malarkey » Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:54 pm

Totally agree with you Scot and I suspect that most if not all inquires came from people already living in or planning to live in the countries they have shown interest in. Many of whom will not eventually follow through with actual applications. Talking about the article in general and not Bulgaria in particular.

That is why I was laughing at Meghan Benton's second possible theory, she did say "there were likely two kinds of applicants"
“The second group is the interesting group; they’re the people who want the richness of EU citizenship, people who may have never activated their freedom of movement,” she said by phone. “They probably feel cheated, not wanting to lose their rights.”
I think the second group only exist as a theory in her mind.

Maybe she isn't a very good "senior policy analyst at the Migration Policy Institute in Washington"

Mat
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Mat » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:28 am

Well it was always very clear that the conditions for existing expats will remain the same as there is no way the EU would force huge migrations, so the first was always going to be of minimal impact. For the second I think you underestimate the depth of feeling that exists amongst a some of the population and this will only come out when people get a clear idea of what Brexit actually means. Both this and the economic/financial aspects haven't really started to be affected yet. Unlike those who voted to leave, Remainers will not make a decision until they see the consequences. Then I think we'll see a lot of people over the next 3-10 years picking up a second citizenship if they can get it or more likely relocating to the Continent so that their kids can get the benefits of the EU. For the overwhelming majority of the population leaving isn't an option and anyway the loss of things like freedom of movement are pretty much irrelevant, so they'll just have a few less beers in Magaluf and carry on very much as normal.

Billgaria
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby Billgaria » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:31 pm

Lots of Brits here not even registered so no chance of applying for citizenship

truckyboy
Super User!
Super User!

bg citizenship

Postby truckyboy » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:38 pm

After renewing my residents card this year, amongst other documents, i must admit that i was tempted to look at citizenship..however the fact i dont speak much bulgarian, let alone understand much, i found out that the citizenship test involves an exam which is all in bulgarian, written and spoken, and no help can be applied..so my bulgarian wife must stay out of the picture, which brings me to the point that citizenship for me, through our marriage is out of the question..plus the fact i would gain no benefits whatsoever..so will remain a resident, albeit a permanent one this year, the other thing to be noted is the fact that at the migration office in bourgas, there is a notice that states a huge reduction in the price if one is aged 70 and over, when my wife pointed it out ( saving me 25 lev ) they had to look it up on their computer to verify..i did notice that they are giving out like confetti, residency to Russians..who are not even EU citizens. and the offices were absolutely packed with them. to me this is wrong, BUT, they are the biggest buyers of property at the moment.

Billgaria
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby Billgaria » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:31 am

Hi truckerboy.........is there a link to the citizenship test requirement?

Mat
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Mat » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:26 am

Billgaria wrote:Lots of Brits here not even registered so no chance of applying for citizenship

This is a good point - I've long advocated for people not bothering to register for residency as certainly in Sofia no-one ever checked but they would be caught a cropper now. Your status will be as it was on 22nd June.

The difference for Brits who are resident officially in BG (or Russians for that matter) is that this does not confer EU rights for free movement to other EU countries. If you're retired and have no desire to work in other EU member states that's fine.

troyan
Super User!
Super User!

Postby troyan » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:02 am

The initial indications from the BG authorities is a positive one and I don t think full citizenship is a good move either given the uncertainty of Europe in general at the moment.

To add I cant really see the various blanket agreements on Insurance and roaming charges etc which make life so much easier travelling around being retracted or reverted back to exclude the UK.

If anybody really wanted to become a full EU citizen Portugal is probably the best bet, the are fast tracking people who invest in property who wish to become Portuguese citizens........although who would want to be a citizen of a bankrupt state.

The world will keep turning regardless,the EU has been very handy for those of us who move in between the UK and BG, and in a way we still reap all the benefits BG is still receiving as a Net beneficiary state.......so alls not doom and gloom.

Return to “General Discussion”