Living alone

Discuss here anything that does not already have its own Forum.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
mishmash

Living alone

Postby mishmash » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:16 pm

Hi Tragically, my wife recently died. I now have some hard decisions to make. We thoroughly enjoyed several months each year at our home in the Kyustendil area. Debating whether to sell or not, but I was wondering if any other expats live alone and how have they found it. I do have good neighbours but wonder if that is enough. My wife was terrific at Bulgarian, unfortunately, I have only basic language skills

Cheers

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
troyan
Super User!
Super User!

Postby troyan » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:57 am

Sorry for your news

I live alone but by choice and circumstance, i could not expect anyone to live the life I do, kind of Nomadic, but based in BG and when I am in UK I could be anywhere.My heart is very much in BG, and have a hard time readjusting to the UK every time I return, it is a little drab for me.

Your story sounds different and was a joint adventure which is even more difficult I would imagine

To your question why would you feel compelled to move if you have made your home in BG, unless you want to be near family which is understandable.......... otherwise I have no problems living alone but have had a fairly long marriage in the past 17 years so have tried both.

Just take some time, your heart will tell you where you need to be.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
MIK_bg
Super User!
Super User!

Postby MIK_bg » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:36 am

Simple question. When you come over do you feel at home? Do you feel generally confident? If both answer are no...better consider to stay in Britain. As we get holder we get more fragile by any mean. If you have people you can count in Britain stay there. It will be more easy.

If you like a little bit of challenge, because you believe that playing out of your comforte zone will also give you energy and keep you active chose Bulgaria.

Also consider to offer to friends to spend time in Bulgaria with you. Reducing the time you are completely alone can be the fix.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:56 pm

Take yourself a Bulgarian wife ! then you will no longer be alone !

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
SheilaP

Postby SheilaP » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:47 pm

That is so sad and it must be a very difficult time for you. We were only talking about this the other evening. Would we be able or want to stay if the other was not here? I don't know. It would certainly be very different and have lots of new difficulties. I guess the only thing to do is take your time and don't rush to make a decision.If most of your connections and the things that matter to you are in the UK, maybe you could go back for a while to see how you feel? Then you could return and compare life in BG to life in the UK. Loneliness might become a real problem and I suspect that would be my main difficulty, so it would be important to make extra efforts to engage in as much outside life as possible. If after that, you still feel isolated or alone, then maybe the UK would be better for you. Whatever you decide, stay in touch with others on this site and we wish you all the very best in whatever you decide. And in the end, your situation is one many of us will have to face.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Nick1

Postby Nick1 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:02 am

mishmash i know how you are feeling as my wife also passed away nearly two years ago now,we moved to bg 7 years ago so we could spend more time together as we knew this sad time was going to come.after she was gone i didnt know what to do weather to try and sell or stick it out here.it was a terrible time and you do feel so alone.
i loved my house and liked the village but realized i could no longer live in the house,so ive sold the house and moved to another area i also have a bulgarian girlriend now and life is getting back to normal.

i dont know if this will help you in any way but i think if you like bulgaria so much maybe try and change location.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
FlagHostel

Postby FlagHostel » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:43 pm

if you are single, move to pleven

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:28 pm

Living solo - especially in a Bulgarian village - is very difficult.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
scanniaman
Penny Pincher

Postby scanniaman » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:06 pm

Why would it be difficult ?
Scanniaman

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
troyan
Super User!
Super User!

Postby troyan » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:07 pm

I live alone and its not difficult, even less so in a village..........I actually prefer to live and travel alone its so much easier, especially if the alternative is being with a moaner or difficult person.

As Brian Ferry said loneliness is a crowded room.

Return to “General Discussion”