BREXIT POST HERE FOR GENERAL DISCUSSION / DEBATE

Moderator: Moderator

MOD
<b>Be Generous & Give MOD a Home</b>

BREXIT POST HERE FOR GENERAL DISCUSSION / DEBATE

Postby MOD » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:01 pm

As Brexit is a popular subject given it's importance to us all, I have started this new topic title.

The topic POST BREXIT, I have changed the the title to Post Brexit for those of us who have property here and live here? As it more accurately fits the original posters question. viewtopic.php?f=27&t=46342&hilit=POST+BREXIT&start=10#p470256

MOD

re posted from Post Brexit for those of us who have property here and live here?

Postby MOD » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:16 pm

Mat » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:47 am

ChrisF wrote:
Much will depend on how we treat EU nationals who are living and working in the UK now, I think.

Everything will depend on this. There has been a lot of pressure to draw a line in the sand on the negotiations and say that the UK will protect the rights of EU migrants (see the Lords today) but May will not countenance it because she says that there is no guarantee that the EU would reciprocate. This is utter stuff and nonsense and she knows it, she is just using the lives of 5 million people as a bargaining chip. Because none of them will ever vote for her she couldn't care less what happens to us. She is a dangerously incompetent opportunistic nihilist who put party before everything - even the country.

That all said, none of the parties have any interest in a huge movement of established people so for those who were in place before June 23rd at least, but possibly March the whatever when they launch article 50, I would imagine the situation would remain more or less normal.

The bigger danger is whether you can afford to buy your weekly potato ration with the mickey mouse pound in two years.

MOD

Re: BREXIT POST HERE FOR GENERAL DISCUSSION / DEBATE

Postby MOD » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:18 pm

re posted from Post Brexit for those of us who have property here and live here?

Post by truckyboy » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:08 pm

Another useless old hag is Liz Truss, watched her on Question time this week, the question was about the eu nationals who are here in the uk, she couldnt give a straight answer ( what politician ever does ) afraid to upset their pay masters or party, but more or less it was agreed that the lords have already had a vote, which said those already here can stay, and those wanting to come, must have a criteria, which is i believe, Must have a job to come to, and must be on earnings around £35 grand a year, and would require a visa, well that would keep the gypsies out, especially those wanting our free handouts, no doubt the immigrants who come by boat and truck, will still be given help..but article 50 is being triggered by the end of march anyway, we have to wait with baited breath as to what will happen, but, if the above is already agreed, then she has no bargaining chip, unless she changes her mind IF the EU doesnt agree with our terms of protecting the Brits..time will tell. Re: Post Brexit

MOD

Postby MOD » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:23 pm

Re posted from Post Brexit for those of us who have property here and live here?

mihangel » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:50 pm

ChrisF wrote:
Those of us living on state pensions will suffer as we will no longer be entitled to increases or the heating allowance - we will be on a par with British expats in Canada, South Africa etc

It is true that British expats in Canada, South Africa ect don't get the annual pension increase, but if it is any consolation, those in the USA, Philippines, Israel, Turkey and quite a few other countries do get the increase. It is not so much to do with the EU but more to do with whether the UK has a "social security agreement" with certain countries. Of course, the "social security agreement" with the remaining EU countries could vanish with Brexit, but I tend to be optimistic about this. I am sure that the UK government does not want hordes of aged pensioners from Spain flooding back to add to NHS patient numbers, and it will make this a high priority if it can.

MOD

Postby MOD » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:30 pm

by alfandalma » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:24 pm

The Home Office used to have a web page listing all the countries that have a reciprocal arrangement on pensions. I don't know why it was removed when Cameron became P.M. but I suspect it was due to embarrassment. The list looked like a civil servant had played pin the tail on the donkey, the donkey being the world atlas. There actually is little if any logic, look at the Caribbean people living in UK and have paid full stamp. Those from Jamaica can now return (Only recent) and get full pension and cost of living rises, those from Trinidad and St Lucia can't. Mauritius was never a British colony but French, yet there you get full rights yet just a trip further north the expats on the Seychelles which was a British colony don't. A group of South African expats took the gov to court as Australians did get full rights, So simply the gov stopped paying the Australian expats in fairness.
I do not see any reason why the full pension with cost of living will not continue for any expats in Europe. It seems to be forgotten that Bulgaria only had a few years of self rule between Russian communism and joining the EU. I see nothing changing as the old rule about having to register a business was from the communist times. However it has been a recent restriction that foreigners can no longer by land (beware ebay sellers selling land) but that is common sense if you think about the country being stripped of ownership of it's fields and forests.

I think the bigger worry and my only worry over Brexit is the gov and Courts of UK will have no-one to "supervise" them. There have actually been hundreds of occasions where the EU Courts, be it Employment tribunals or ECHR have stopped the government implementing something that would have been discriminating.

Why bother worrying what is going to happen, it was all doom predicted by the remain camp yet every fear they had hasn't materialised. Car giants are staying in the North East, blue chip companies are relocating to the UK, unemployment has fallen..OK I accept we suffer with the exchange rate but I suspect this will change as soon as Brexit happens and all the remoaners and Lords stalling the day it happens are causing and will cause more and more problems and distrust on the world stage.

As for how we treat EU members in the UK I think it is immaterial. We treat non EU citizens appallingly with visa fees over £1000 yet for a Brit to go to their countries it is around 50-100 USD paid on entry

MOD

Postby MOD » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:33 pm

by MarkieB » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:08 pm

alfandalma wrote:
I think the bigger worry and my only worry over Brexit is the gov and Courts of UK will have no-one to "supervise" them. There have actually been hundreds of occasions where the EU Courts, be it Employment tribunals or ECHR have stopped the government implementing something that would have been discriminating.

I thought taking back control over our laws and justice system without unelected bureaucrats and busy body european courts telling us what to do was one of the two main pillars of Brexit?

MOD

Postby MOD » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:38 pm

by Mat » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:27 pm

alfandalma wrote:
Why bother worrying what is going to happen, it was all doom predicted by the remain camp yet every fear they had hasn't materialised.

Yet.

We haven't even launched Article 50. Give it until ohhhhh, late 2017 when the true picture of what will happen will start to shape up. I thought it was terrifyingly amusing that the Chancellor didn't actually mention Brexit in his speech the other day. The most momentous event in the UK since 1939 and 'nope, if I don't talk about it, it doesn't exist'. Kind of like being on the top of the rollercoaster ride and suddenly realising the bloke you put in charge of the brakes is actually a raving lunatic.

You're entirely correct - no point worrying about it though, the die is cast and the course is set. Its just a matter of clenching our teeth, thinking of England and wondering about how to clean the mess up after.

troyan
Super User!
Super User!

Postby troyan » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:54 am

Brexit is one of the strangest occurances in history

Niether side had a plan nor in the case of Brexiteers even the power to carry out their promises, it may as well have been a sixth form debate because none of it was real.As The Great Debate happened on national TV the predictions and promises seemed real but they were not.........and the man who decided to stage the referendum together with the main Brexit leaders all dispersed in the days after the vote

There was only one person who succeeded who only had one agenda which was to leave the EU whatever the consequences and that was Farage, and he did it with the immigration card which he had no power to carry through

The real vote was not even about the EU it was about immigration, a chance for people to show what they really thought

The promise of immigration cuts was also dispelled the very next day by Gove and co. as being unrealistic and impossible.

My prediction is the EU is about to break up and people like Erdogan and Merkel have made this almost inevitable, I hope it happens before we are taken to the cleaners by Brussels.

I think we will see the Visegrad and Balkan states become more aligned and we will also see the Euro cease to exist at least in its current format

johndoe3

Postby johndoe3 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:14 am

It's a sad state of affairs, when Cameron went to Brussels asking for little and was given less.
There is a problem in Britain with immigration, but most of it is not due to being EU members,so
how that is squared up with dealing with "The Commonwealth" in the future remains to be seen.
Theresa May and Sturgeon are squabbling away, but I hope that Mrs. May goes to meet Mutti Merkel with a brick in her handbag.
Handbags at Dawn.
The argument is not about Europeans, but th ECC and EU.
:oops:

Malarkey
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Malarkey » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:52 pm

I have just read this article. UK faces €2bn fine over Chinese imports scam, say EU investigators
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... estigators.

While the subject matter in the article is interesting in its own right and no actual bill to recover the costs from the UK has yet been issued by the EU.

It does raise the following point "Politicians opposed to Brexit said the findings raised more questions about the government’s plans to quit the EU’s customs union. “The UK border force is asleep at the wheel and it’s going to cost the taxpayer billions,” said Alistair Carmichael, a Liberal Democrat MP. “This doesn’t bode well for reckless plans to leave the customs union and set up border checks for all goods coming into UK.”

Return to “Politics non Bulgarian”