buying a car

Discuss here anything that does not already have its own Forum.

Moderator: Moderator

westwitch

buying a car

Postby westwitch » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:37 pm

Can we have some up to date information on the process of

1) buying a car in BG and all the necessary documentation that involves and

2) bringing in a car from the UK - left hand or right hand drives.

truckyboy
Super User!
Super User!

Re: buying a car

Postby truckyboy » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:05 pm

cant help a great deal, but as far as i remember if RHD you have to change the headlights ( so bring spares ) if you want to register it in bg..if its a big diesel, or big petrol it will cost quite a bit..as they tax it from the emissions..if only using it for the duration, headlamp converters are fine. There are other posts about doing this or you can google the information..good luck.

bulgariabill
Super User!
Super User!

Postby bulgariabill » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:25 am

- truckyboy- but as far as i remember if RHD you have to change the headlights

Depends on what region you are in,Dobrich region / Varna allow beam benders have three vehicles all fitted with them all through KAT

Liliputian

Postby Liliputian » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:25 pm

Hope you don't mind me chipping in with a question related to the 2nd point about bringing a car from the UK (which hopefully will also be helpful to westwich)...

If you bring a car from the UK to Bulgaria and stay for more than 6 months, is it absolutely necessary to change it to Bulgarian registration, or are there exemptions?
And with the 6 month stay limit, would a seemingly simplistic workaround work, like driving it out of the country (not to UK) and back in?

(I'm asking as I'm considering a UK-based insurance policy with European cover for unlimited duration trips, so this would be invalidated if I re-register the car in Bulgaria)

bigbulg
<b>Legal Services</b>

Postby bigbulg » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:54 pm

"(I'm asking as I'm considering a UK-based insurance policy with European cover for unlimited duration trips, so this would be invalidated if I re-register the car in Bulgaria)" If it's the Insurance Company i think it is you also have be resident in the UK for MORE THAN (no pun intended) 6 Months per year to qualify, just saying.
As for the car being in BG longer than the 6 Months in 1 spell, i haven't heard of it being an issue, i think it's more of a guideline, the UK has similar, if it's taken out of the Country more than 12 months it's classed as exported by the DVLA, again i've not heard of any issues.

Liliputian

Postby Liliputian » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:16 pm

Thanks bigbulg. I will still be officially resident in the UK - employed, paying taxes etc. in UK and flying back sometimes to do the bits of my work that need me to be in UK, but the plan is for the car to stay in Bulgaria for maybe 11 months.

The company is Stuart Collins.

Return to “General Discussion”