Post Brexit. What will status of EHIC be?

Discuss here anything that does not already have its own Forum.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
johndoe3

Post Brexit. What will status of EHIC be?

Postby johndoe3 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:15 am

Has anybody got a strategy for post Brexit in regards to health issues, whilst staying in Bulgaria?
People, who live over there full time would probably have the option of paying into the Bulgarian
Social Security system.
However, there are many people (myself included) who go there for 6 months only. UK insurances
seem to only be for 3 months.
I am wondering whether an alternative would be to use say Allianz for Bulgarian stays for 6 months.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
banjo
Super User!
Super User!

Re: Post Brexit. What will status of EHIC be?

Postby banjo » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:18 am

I will also have this problem the UK government are trying to sort this out and are in talks with the EU over health issues for people that spend a lot of time in the EU and end up in hospital. The elderly people who have retired to Spain do not yet know who will pay for their hospital treatment so this problem is ongoing. :?

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
truckyboy
Super User!
Super User!

Re: Post Brexit. What will status of EHIC be?

Postby truckyboy » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:48 pm

Its all very annoying..when you think that EU citizens get free treatment when they come to the uk, yet we have to pay when in their countries, I think the EU should authorise ( should have ) all Eu countries must treat any EU citizen so long as they have I.D. or a EHIC..at the moment its nothing to do with the Eu masters, but with individual countries health care systems. Have just renewed mine so hopefully nothing will change, and we will pay for our treatment as usual, and claim it back if we have to. BTW, i did enquire about joining the BG system, but was told that i would have to give up my english one, as a person cannot claim from two systems..same as nationality, you have to give up the uk one, if you want to become a bulgarian national.

Return to “General Discussion”