Rental question / deposit?

Ask for or give advice here on property letting and the rental market.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Linda123

Rental question / deposit?

Postby Linda123 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:10 pm

Hi

We are considering renting out our apartment later this year ourselves but can someone tell me if we rent in to someone and they damage things ie. break the sofa do we have to claim from our own insurance or do you take a deposit for such things and return it if everything is ok?

Linda

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
banger

Re: Rental

Postby banger » Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:31 pm

Hi YOU will be best to take a deposit as this is the norm unless you know them very well,aT THE END OF THE DAY AT LEAST YOU HAVE GOT SOME SORT OF SECURITY DEPOSIT ELSE YOU WILL HAVE TO CLAIM OFF OF YOUR OWN INSURANCE.HOPE THIS HELPS
Linda123 wrote:We are considering renting out our apartment later this year ourselves but can someone tell me if we rent in to someone and they damage things ie. break the sofa do we have to claim from our own insurance or do you take a deposit for such things and return it if everything is ok?

Linda

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
domino
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby domino » Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:28 pm

The norn is a security deposit, but also add to the rental agreement that the renter also by signing the agreement agree's to pay any damages above and beyond that of the security deposit.

Domino :wink:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
MOD
<b>Be Generous & Give MOD a Home</b>

Postby MOD » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:41 am

adrianomeara asked:
Hi,

I hear that most owners on here are asking for a security deposit. I think this sounds like a good idea.

We (nearly!) have a two bed aparment and I was just wondering how much of a deposit I should ask for? I don't want to set it too high to put people off, but I also don't want it to be too low so that people can muck up my stuff.

Cheers

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
carriemc
<b>Rental Agent</b>

Postby carriemc » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:14 am

I can understand why owners would want a security deposit but having rented self catering apartments & villas all over Europe, including the UK, can honestly say I have never been asked for one!

In Bulgaria we ask our long term renters to pay a deposit as they pay electricity on top of rental and the deposit is used to pay their last bill.

However don't ask for a security deposit from standard holiday renters and have never had a problem so far. We have had minor damage such as glasses broken etc. but have just looked on these as something you would expect when renting.

To ask for a large security deposit is bound to put people off, but if you ask for a small security deposit it would not cover any major damage anyway.

Just my view!

Caroline

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Keegan
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Keegan » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:19 am

We always self cater and I cant think weve ever been asked for one. I did somewhere break the iron but left a sorry note plus the travel iron we had taken.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
tatz2003

Postby tatz2003 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:26 am

A £50 deposit i have paid a couple of times that i had returned once the peoples propery management did an inventory at the end of the stay and informed the owners that all was well.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
AJ113
<b>Property Sales</B>

Postby AJ113 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:22 pm

If you use the villarenters site, tenants have to authorise their card for up to £100 deduction in the case of loss or damage, although no actual money is taken at the time.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
allet
<b>Property Sales/Rentals</b>

Postby allet » Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:23 pm

I ask for a £50 deposit for families/couples and maybe a £100 for higher-risk same-sex groups of friends, if I even accept this sort of client!

Wishing you all the best
Allet

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
theweeton
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby theweeton » Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:53 pm

"higher-risk same-sex groups of friends" ...I find this hard to believe unless you are talking about an old boys rugby team. most single sex groups are youngish and tend to behave a lot better than your average middle aged couple who think they can still drink and spend all their time falling about when they are drunk or arguing when they are sober. And if they bring along their little darling children nothing is safe. [/quote]

Return to “Property Letting Advice”