Rental question / deposit?

Ask for or give advice here on property letting and the rental market.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
theweeton
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby theweeton » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:24 pm

I supose it is different for me, as I am on the premises and have a certain amount of control and imput, it is my belief that people react to their enviroment, put someone in a good enviroment and they will behave themselves, if it is bad they will act accordingly. I do not take a deposit nor bond, we have never had any probems, but if I were doing what you intend I would consider doing something in the terms and conditions about damage payments and credit cards. As for pink hats with fur trim and the price of rock ...you can get a hat with five free bars of rock for a fiver. or you can buy ten sticks of rock for a pound and a hat for three fifty, i just wonder how long it will take sunny beach to turn into a blackpool or faliraki ( it already has the raki)

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
domino
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby domino » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:28 pm

As you say, your on the premises, when your thousands of miles away, believe me, you will what to air on the side of caution.

They still got those bl**dy donkeys!! one bl**dy bit me, ok, 40 years ago, but i have nightmares. :(

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
theweeton
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby theweeton » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:32 pm

going off topic again, sorry, but it is my honest opinion that blackpool donkys are better behaved than there bulgarian counterparts It may be the only thing that is better in the uk than bulgaria.

If I were renting to donkys I would certainly take a bond just in case they left deposits

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
larry

Postby larry » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:40 pm

theweeton I think you hit the nail on the head when you said, you lived on the premises, I recently spent a month in a rented flat in Blackpool and it was great but then the manager lived there too, however the town centre streets where full of stags/hens and the police where kept very busy, even the local taxi drivers had baseball bats in the cabs 8O

Have stayed in many private holiday apartments and have never been asked for a deposit and with Bulgaria being renowned for being cheap and an over supply of lets I can see asking for a deposit may prove difficult.

Still once my apartments furnished, I will worry about this dilema too :cry:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
theweeton
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby theweeton » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:51 pm

Most of my guests come from referals or are returns, when we started it was difficult to judge just on a phone call, but we slowly built up the business. It may be an idea to ask potential guests to provide references given by other owners in bulgaria or even if they have met other posters on here you know and ask them to get an idea, it may also be an idea for all you inderpendants to have an informal communication system were you could pass on details of unsuitable guests

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
allet
<b>Property Sales/Rentals</b>

Postby allet » Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:59 am

My point, I may sometimes accept a stag do/ group of friends and charge higher £100 FULLY-REFUNDABLE breakages deposit but that is only if I trust them enough. When its your savings that has paid for the apt then I think owners should be able to let who they want in THEIR apt..

The refundable breakages deposit is just in hope that for example the renter would replace the broken glass instead of just thinking 'oh well'

Anyway good luck
Last edited by allet on Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
domino
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby domino » Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:33 am

If there going to treat the place correctly, then the security deposit will not bother them, it is returnable, if they have doubts about having to pay it, then you need ask why? for me, a security deposit also gives clients an impression of a well cared for, and looked after rental, they can be assured the place wont be a grafiti infested 5h1t hole.

Domino :wink:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
theweeton
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby theweeton » Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:41 am

I have no problems with letting in who you want but I do have a problem with charging people who you trust an extra hundred, they may have a perception that they are being ripped off because of stereotyping. Remember almost everyone who comes on a stag or hen party is part of a family or talks to families who may come to bulgaria. "bulgarias great but got ripped off by the apartment owner "is not good for your trade

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
fruitbat79
Super User!
Super User!

Postby fruitbat79 » Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:15 pm

not sure that you could say an owner is ripping someone off because they are making a security/breakages charge, it is refundable after all!!

Like dom says, if someone has doubts about paying it, you need to question why...

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
theweeton
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby theweeton » Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:51 pm

a refundable deposit is not a rip off , but a non refundable extra charge just because it is a single sex group may be perceived to be. Perhaps I misread the post but I thought it implied it was non refundable

Return to “Property Letting Advice”