How not to rent out your apartment

Ask for or give advice here on property letting and the rental market.

Moderator: Moderator

brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

How not to rent out your apartment

Postby brianj42 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:57 am

Hi All

Interesting conversation with a friend of mine last night who has a luxury penthouse apartment near Sunny Beach, and when I say luxury this thing had all the bells and whistles.

Had ? I hear you say.

Ok, here's how it goes.

Agent who is doing the holiday rentals for him gets a request for a booking over the internet. Agent takes the booking and the person says a local friend will come and pay the €250 cash, which they promptly did.

Week passes, the client comes and goes and the next one arrives.

The agent gets a frantic phone call from the next client "we can't stay in this apartment, its not finsihed, there's not even a toilet"

Agent goes to apartment to find it stripped, and when I say stripped, its right down to the electrical sockets, lights switches and even the door handles.....all gone.

He reckons to replace everything is about €20k

Luckily for him, he has very good UK based Insurance and it looks like he's getting it all back.

But the warning is there 8O

Hippyboy
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Hippyboy » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:00 am

You just can't get decent tenants these days ! no i'm not trying to be funny , i hope your mate gets sorted . i had a tenant in London once that claimed to be an artist ; she painted on my walls , needless to say I had to do a bit of work before re-letting the place ! Tim

anna52
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

property let

Postby anna52 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:47 am

surely the letting agent should be responsible for the state of apartment, was he not getting paid to take care of things,the only solution is be there on day that tennents leave. and every letting season change locks on door, as you never know who has made a key to use at there own convenience.

millomgirl
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby millomgirl » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:48 am

My brother had a similar experience in England. He rented his house out when he was working in Oman,and when he returned all his beautiful expensive furniture had been replaced with crap.Doors broken, piles of dog mess on the carpet etc. Have to say I would never rent anything of mine out to anyone. I have seen the state some of these people leave rented homes in! There are an awful lot of disgusting low-life out there! :(

brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Re: property let

Postby brianj42 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:51 am

anna52 wrote:surely the letting agent should be responsible for the state of apartment, was he not getting paid to take care of things,the only solution is be there on day that tennents leave. and every letting season change locks on door, as you never know who has made a key to use at there own convenience.

It had been cleaned between so they HAD obviously been back in the mean time. I have always said to people change your door lock to a push button security lock and change the numbers between guests. Which he is now doing.

jinx57
<b>Property Finder</b>

Postby jinx57 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:59 am

Hippyboy wrote:You just can't get decent tenants these days ! no i'm not trying to be funny , i hope your mate gets sorted . .............

doesnt seem to matter where but if you're not on hand to be able to check up fairly frequently tennants so often have a field day

Now I guess I'd better duck from a load of vitriol from model tennants!

Hippyboy
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Hippyboy » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:43 am

First of all I don't use a letting agent , they take a big cut which I can't afford . Secondly not all letting agents are that great (I met an English couple in Thailand whose round-the-world trip was in tatters because their letting agent had miserably failed to do their job ; where's the comeback? ) Thirdly , even if you have a decent agent they can't be there all the time , if the rent's being paid on time why would they go around to check on the place that often . My tenant painted pictures on the walls , and they weren't very good , what do you do? Tim .

TGTGN

Postby TGTGN » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:16 am

Probably not much help, but if you have a close relative or friend who can check regularly on the property that you are letting, it is a good idea. From what I have heard, a letting agent would not want to spend too much time checking on the property.

truckyboy
Super User!
Super User!

Postby truckyboy » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:20 am

Make sure they are genuine artists....with a given name of picasso, or one with an ear missing should do the trick. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Savina

Postby Savina » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:27 pm

I think you should have a good written contract, property insurance and the utility accounts should be transferred to the tenants.

Return to “Property Letting Advice”