Arthur Morgan - Scammer or ???

Ask for or give advice here on property letting and the rental market.

Moderator: Moderator

houseman
Super User!
Super User!

Arthur Morgan - Scammer or ???

Postby houseman » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:40 pm

Just received from art.morgan2@yahoo.com

I need to make a reservation at your place for 3 persons coming to stay in your region for 16Days, starting from 2nd September thru 9th of September 2011. I will need to know your rates per / night for the 3 guests and I will need you to tabulate and let me know the total run-down cost for 16 Days period with tax and discounts in Euro currency, so we can arrange for payment. If you do not have availability at the time we request, please let me know when you preferably have availability to accommodate 3 Adults.

Do get back to me quickly.

47 Chapel Drive
Don-caster
DN1 2RF
UNITED KINGDOM

Arthur.

I am suspicious as (a) he doesn't say where he came across the property (b) his dates don't add up (c) he can't spell Doncaster (d) it just sounds fishy compared to our usual run of requests.

Am posting this in case others have had or may get something similar. I am pretty sure it will be some kind of overpayment scam, or maybe phishing for bank details or whatever.

Apologies to Arthur if he is genuine :oops:

tamarisk

Postby tamarisk » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:56 pm

Hi Houseman
Looks like he cannot spell the name of the road either.
According to the Royal Mail website it is Chappell Drive.

Blaiddog

Postby Blaiddog » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:06 pm

This looks so much like a scam,we have had them on our French property and they read just like this

silky4015

Postby silky4015 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:45 pm

I live 20 miles away and the post code given is an industral estate about a quarter of a mile from the railway staion.

owain
<b>Property Sales</B>

Postby owain » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:25 pm

It's a Hotel/Apartment Booking Scam. We even have them phoning our office looking to book Hotels and rent apartments, offering to pay up front.

http://www.pillowsandpancakes.com/scam-warning.htm

Joss
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Joss » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:12 am

Do people really fall for scams like this?

Dreanas
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Dreanas » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:27 am

Here is the latest one I have seen which was sent to a friend selling a house:

eMail Adresse: brucecarlson64@gmail.com
Kontakt Telefon: +44
Bevorzugtes Datum und Uhrzeit: hello,am interested in this property and ready to contract then pay as soon as details concerning your payment mode is given.cheers...

When asked which bank he would be using, whether he had a lawyer and if he was coming to view the property he replied:

""he is an army officer us navy and has confiscated a large sum of money, and cant declare it so he wants to send all the money and then come an live here with his wife and daughter, and also he is an orphan with no family. and wants to know if he can trust me! ""

don't you just love em!

brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:54 am

Joss wrote:Do people really fall for scams like this?

According to a chap I was speaking to who has dedicated his retirement to investigating these (and other) scams, thousands of people a month in the Uk fall for them.

Tiarnan
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Tiarnan » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:05 am

"dedicated his retirement to investigating these(and other) scams"......he needs to get back to work again.
Anyone falling for these scams deserve all they get. They are so transparent you would have to be terminally stupid to fall for them.

lyn
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby lyn » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:13 am

brianj42 wrote:
Joss wrote:Do people really fall for scams like this?

According to a chap I was speaking to who has dedicated his retirement to investigating these (and other) scams, thousands of people a month in the Uk fall for them.

Thousands fall for the 'You have won a major lottery prize, please send us thousands to process your prize,' too - even though they must be aware they have never bought a ticket.

Return to “Property Letting Advice”